BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Craig Conway - (Not getting a) New contract

Conway's old thread has been archived, so I'm starting a new one here as he's seemingly being given a new contract. I think most of us on here agree that he's past his best at this point and level (although I'm happy to be proven wrong!), and the most likely reason he's being talked to for a new contract is being a positive influence on the squad in training, helping out the young players etc. I do however wonder if he could be used in a new position? He was never the fastest player and now definitely doesn't have the pace to play as winger anymore, but could he do a job at full back or central midfield? HIs shots and crosses still seems to hold up pretty well. 

Edited by Commondore

Corner taker and probably our best crosser.

This is one season too far, and a waste of a squad place.

From his point of view, if he has taken on a contract on greatly reduced terms then it shows how much he is committed to the club.

From Mowbray’s, it is yet more of his rewarding loyalty ahead of contribution.

From the club’s point of view this should be a transition into coaching and potentially an eventual replacement for Johnson in the U23s (hopefully with Johnson replacing Mowbray). Not sure if his coaching credentials, mind.

Very much scratching around for the positives in this one. None of them are about him helping the first team meet Mowbray’s stayed objective.

Not a great start to the window...

Leutweiler

Conway

Gladwin ⚖️

Rodwell ⚖️

Downing ?

• Like 1

Not to disappointed with Conway. Bar the Derby game he’s looked a good experienced head to bring on an help close a tight game out.

Also what a good honest role model to help bring Chapman on this year in a similar way to Graham and Brerton

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Not to disappointed with Conway. Bar the Derby game he’s looked a good experienced head to bring on an help close a tight game out.

Also what a good honest role model to help bring Chapman on this year in a similar way to Graham and Brerton

How many games did he actually come on and we successfully closed a tight game out? I genuinely don't know but that was the excuse traded out last season when he got a new deal. From memory I can't recall that it happened too often.

I thought last year giving him a new deal was purely sentimental based on this season giving a new one would be crazy. He had one half decent performance at home to Sheffield Wednesday other than that his main contribution was taking minutes that should have been given to Rothwell and if he is here next season he will be taking minutes from Chapman. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sabino said:

Has it been confirmed that Craig has accepted, or is the OP unaware that it was only only an offer?

An offer is remarkable enough for a discussion, and how likely is Conway to snub anything Rovers are willing to offer him at this point? I can't see him getting any kind of deal anywhere else on this level. 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

So has he signed a new contract?

Or are you “disgusted” by the offer?

And if you can tell us all what that offer and likely role actually is then please do!

Role for next season ? How about blowing the balls up ? Or is that Gladwin's job ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Role for next season ? How about blowing the balls up ? Or is that Gladwin's job ?

You tell me.

I don’t often get disgusted about things I have zero information about so I might need your help understanding.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

You tell me.

I don’t often get disgusted about things I have zero information about so I might need your help understanding.

I think I can help you on this point. If Conway starts 5 first team games next season I'll be amazed. Of course another club may come in and make him a better offer.