BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Craig Conway - (Not getting a) New contract

SPOILER ALERT. If you haven’t had a go at this quiz on the Rovers site yet look away now.

If you have, or don’t care, interesting look at appearances.

Might explain why Conway was given a new deal...

Bit suspect though as Caddis and Whittingham are credited with playing for the first team this season! Anyone know which game?

2ED22621-E411-4C41-B110-AF662A4AB2A1.png

3EAA673C-5BD9-4A38-8C28-80E6952979C6.png

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

SPOILER ALERT. If you haven’t had a go at this quiz on the Rovers site yet look away now.

If you have, or don’t care, interesting look at appearances.

Might explain why Conway was given a new deal...

Bit suspect though as Caddis and Whittingham are credited with playing for the first team this season! Anyone know which game?

2ED22621-E411-4C41-B110-AF662A4AB2A1.png

3EAA673C-5BD9-4A38-8C28-80E6952979C6.png

A quick internet browse and Caddis played the full 90 in our league cup game at home too Lincoln, and Whittingham played half an hour in our league cup game away at Carlisle ... I’m presuming you thought the quiz was just off league appearances and I’d have thought the same myself too be fair.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Butty said:

A quick internet browse and Caddis played the full 90 in our league cup game at home too Lincoln, and Whittingham played half an hour in our league cup game away at Carlisle ... I’m presuming you thought the quiz was just off league appearances and I’d have thought the same myself too be fair.

Cheers. I did have a quick look back at the cup games and Nyambe was rb for the Lincoln game. Just double-checked and he is down as playing on the wing - good old Mowbray, always thinking outside the box! ?

7 minutes ago, Madon said:

Panic over. Conway has announced he is leaving the club. 

Sad but unfortunately his time was up at Rovers. 

Fair play.

Sad thing is, if Mowbray has more about him, he’d have made more of a big deal about Conway’s 200th cap and thanked him for his services. Once more, our decision making is done for us.

• Moderation Lead

Blueboy and Madon have summed up my thoughts in a nutshell, good work lads! For real though, he did a lot of good here, but this is clearly the right thing to do. 

It’s probably better to remember the good he did and move forward, rather than try to score points, eh?

• Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

Blueboy and Madon have summed up my thoughts in a nutshell, good work lads! For real though, he did a lot of good here, but this is clearly the right thing to do. 

It’s probably better to remember the good he did and move forward, rather than try to score points, eh?

Come on mate it’s a debate. Referencing and replying to those we disagree with.

Interjections of “balance” like this, though I know to be well intentioned, do betray your actual position a bit.

This transfer window will determine whether his time here was up or not. If improvements are signed then yes time was up. If we are watching Samuel/Brereton trying to operate out wide come August, then for me Conway would have been worth an extra year on the sheer basis he can cross a ball. In fact was probably the best crosser of a ball we have?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Fair play.

Sad thing is, if Mowbray has more about him, he’d have made more of a big deal about Conway’s 200th cap and thanked him for his services. Once more, our decision making is done for us.

If he had done that the reaction would have been that he was forcing Conway out. I have no doubt it was all discussed with the player about how to handle it.

Plenty of criticism has grounds but no way can Mowbray ever be accused of not talking things over or disrespecting players.

Big thanks to Craig Conway for his service to the club and being a steadying influence in turbulent times. Top man.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 5

Good servant for rovers but right time for him to move on. Oddly dignified exit for a footballer usually they cling on to their last pay day for all their might. Perhaps a rare man of honour in football realising its time and not cashing in one last time. 

He has been decent down the years but in my opinion way, way past his best and had he signed a new deal I would have seen it as wasted money. 

I do wonder though if Mowbray has offered him greatly reduced terms putting him in a no lose situation. If Conway signs he has an experienced player to fill the squad on the cheap and if he didn't sign Mowbrays reputation of Mr Good Guy is still intact.

Either way we'll never know but good luck to Conway wherever he ends up.