BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Craig Conway - (Not getting a) New contract

Good player and servant to the club, pound for pound as good a signing as we've had in the last ten years.  Shame he's not sticking around to become a coach but hope he gets some game time elsewhere.

All the best.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

Fair play.

Sad thing is, if Mowbray has more about him, he’d have made more of a big deal about Conway’s 200th cap and thanked him for his services. Once more, our decision making is done for us.

Just can’t win can Mowbray in your opinion, TM played it right IMO, he’s been a very decent player for us,regardless of how many games he’s played, but the time is right for him to move on, expect one or two more under contract to move on as well to free the wage bill for new blood.

• Like 3

Just now, unsall said:

Just can’t win can Mowbray in your opinion, TM played it right IMO, he’s been a very decent player for us,regardless of how many games he’s played, but the time is right for him to move on, expect one or two more under contract to move on as well to free the wage bill for new blood.

Contradicting yourself in you haste to have a pop at me.

If “the time is right for him to move on” then how has Mowbray “played it right” by offering him a new contract? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

when we haven’t signed anyone, you have to be a little smart, with the guys you let go, but the terms you offer, the conversation with the player shows the player if he’s going to get much game time, like I said TM knows what he’s doing, same applies for Rodwell, some fans understand, and some don’t.

• Like 2

Great servant too the club, he revitalised us when he first joined and we went on that run that so nearly got us in the play offs. Found Rudy and Rhodes constantly and chipped in with a few goals. Can’t knock the guy. Thanks for everything CC ?? 

• Like 5

Get a grip everyone, you'd think it was Cristiano Ronaldo that was leaving. Was decent but not outstanding at his best but that was quite some time ago and he'sbeen very poor for 2 or three seasons at the least. We need better than he ever was if we're to entertain dreams of getting back into the Premier League at any point.

Next.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, unsall said:

when we haven’t signed anyone, you have to be a little smart, with the guys you let go, but the terms you offer, the conversation with the player shows the player if he’s going to get much game time, like I said TM knows what he’s doing, same applies for Rodwell, some fans understand, and some don’t.

That’s just double-talk for: Mowbray should have thanked Conway for his service and moved on, with plans already in place to replace him, because “the time was right for him to move on”. That should have been Mowbray’s call, not wait and see if the player wants to stick around and take up a squad place and block the progress of a youngster and then react.

Some fans understand? :lol: You arrogant little... person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Get a grip everyone, you'd think it was Cristiano Ronaldo that was leaving. Was decent but not outstanding at his best but that was quite some time ago and he'sbeen very poor for 2 or three seasons at the least. We need better than he ever was if we're to entertain dreams of getting back into the Premier League at any point.

Next.

Wow. Harsh. He's obviously not been a world beater & I hope his place in the squad is taken by a better option, but if any player (or employee in any walk of life) gives good, loyal, professional service across a quarter of their whole career as he has done, the very least he'd deserve would be some proper appreciation and best wishes for the future, rather than a dismissive "Next". 

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Songman said:

This transfer window will determine whether his time here was up or not. If improvements are signed then yes time was up. If we are watching Samuel/Brereton trying to operate out wide come August, then for me Conway would have been worth an extra year on the sheer basis he can cross a ball. In fact was probably the best crosser of a ball we have?

Not for me. His time was up-end of!

Failure to sign improvements would do nothing whatsoever to undermine that conclusion. It would merely confirm the fact that we are seriously underperforming, as a club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Butty said:

200 appearances, always gave his all. Never any doubts over his attitude and his commitment too the cause, was one of our best players for 3 years and even when his ability declined he still always did his best. Never said a bad word about the club or the fans, only ever said how much he’s enjoyed his time at the club and how he appreciates the fans support. Is that not worth anything anymore? Have a day off Rev he’s 33/34 he’s obviously not as good anymore but that happens, the least you can do is have a bit of respect for the time he’s spent here. After some of the signings we’ve had since Venkys have been here especially! 

Agree with this, also think Rudy Gestede must owe him a few beers for all the assists he got for him when here, leading to the wages Rudy must have earned since leaving here!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, cesus said:

Agree with this, also think Rudy Gestede must owe him a few beers for all the assists he got for him when here, leading to the wages Rudy must have earned since leaving here!

Absolutely. I wouldn’t have given him another year, it was the right decision not too but why should that mean we can’t thank him for his service?! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s just double-talk for: Mowbray should have thanked Conway for his service and moved on, with plans already in place to replace him, because “the time was right for him to move on”. That should have been Mowbray’s call, not wait and see if the player wants to stick around and take up a squad place and block the progress of a youngster and then react.

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

And you’re one who clearly doesn’t understand, just saying Mowbray seems to talk and act with a bit of sense, IMO no need to call me names, we’ll just agree to disagree as usual.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Next.

Judging players isn’t one of your strong points. 

7 hours ago, unsall said:

And you’re one who clearly doesn’t understand, just saying Mowbray seems to talk and act with a bit of sense, IMO no need to call me names, we’ll just agree to disagree as usual.

If you say so, sunshine. :rolleyes:

We've already signed his replacement in Harry Chapman........so offering Conway a fresh contract was pointless so Conway could have had his moment of glory in the last game.

Conway on his day was one of the best wingers in the Championship but needed a target man. For the majority of his time we didnt have that so his effectiveness wained.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever
  • Like 2

Good luck to him, great servant during a difficult time for the club. When you look at the "Venky years" , he will probably be thought of as one of our main men. It's not his fault we went from Duff, David Bentley and Pedersen to him. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

In his leaving comments

“I have met the most amazing people and enjoyed many highs and only some lows in my time here.

“I would like to thank everyone at the club and the fans for the fantastic support they have shown me.

“I wish you all the very best and hope to see Rovers back in the Premier League where they belong in the near future.”

Very classy from him, it's just a shame everyone doesn't demonstrate the same class.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, sabino said:

In his leaving comments

“I have met the most amazing people and enjoyed many highs and only some lows in my time here.

“I would like to thank everyone at the club and the fans for the fantastic support they have shown me.

“I wish you all the very best and hope to see Rovers back in the Premier League where they belong in the near future.”

Very classy from him, it's just a shame everyone doesn't demonstrate the same class.

As long as you don't confuse lack of class with facing up to facts!

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

But why bother slating him when a loyal servant is leaving?  Does it make people feel better about themselves? I just don't get it

I agree, but most critics have not been "slating" him, have they?

There was reasonable concern about the offer of a new contract to a previously good player, who was obviously past it. 

The real issue was what this implied about where the club was going!

• Like 5