BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Happy Tugay Day

Great memories. Very fortunate to have seen players like that. But more than a tinge of sadness about where we are both as a club and the personnel now. Never say never I suppose but I can’t help thinking the young uns will almost certainly never see players of that calibre for a very very very long time if ever. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Happy Tugay Day!

A 40-a-day smoking 38 year old, who put the Premier League’s best on their arses by standing still. A man who only scored spectacular 25 yard goals, but made them look like tap-ins.

Mark Hughes and Sir Alex Ferguson said if he’d been 25, he’d have been playing for Barcelona and Man Utd respectively. Frankly, I still think he could displace Pogba.

Mark Noble was picking his all-time PL X1 and said:

“I was young and arrogant and I thought, 'oh he's got grey hair, I'm going to get in and around him', and he had me on a bit of string for 90 minutes. I'll always tell people about that.

“Obviously I love Steven Gerrard and I think Frank Lampard is one of the best goal-scoring midfielders the country has ever seen, but I'll have to go with Tugay.”

More than a great player he was a REAL leader, in a Rovers team chock-full of International Captains. At the 2002 World Cup, he led Turkey to 3rd place, uniting a volatile dressing room of relatively extreme Christians and Muslims.

I don’t think Rovers fans will love a player as completely as they did Tugay for another generation. Ask most older fans who the best they’ve seen in a Rovers shirt was, Tugay will be in the same bracket as Bryan Douglas, Ronnie Clayton, and Alan Shearer.

Simply the best!

That was fooking excellent!

• Backroom

I was fortunate to be with the match sponsors that day, was great to meet the maestro and get a picture with him after his last game 

What a joy it was to watch him 

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Every goal he scored was an absolute banger. His passing was outrageous.

He took the proverbial out of players that ended up probably being better than him. 

The guy was a God. 

I’m 35 and he’s the best footballer I’ve seen play for Rovers. What a player.

Thanks for the memories. (Of which there were absolutely loads). 

• Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

He took the proverbial out of players that ended up probably being better than him. 

The guy was a God. 

It’s a good point. I can’t remember a Tugay tap-in.

Can't believe it's ten years since that sad but great day it's one that will live in the memory as will he forever. Feel like I've aged 25 years with all that's gone on here since then but feel so privileged to have seen nearly all his games at Ewood for Rovers and many away. 

Sadly those times and those types of player are gone for good I think the club bares little resemblance to that era these days not even the bloody kits.  Feel sorry for youngers fans who missed out on him and the others he truly was unique in many ways, what a character.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

The guy was a God. 

Second best player I've seen in the blue and white halves after Shearer, just an absurdly good player.

Nothing more needs to be added from me about the great man.

However, looking through those photos upsets me as much as anything. What a great club they purchased and what an act of disgusting arrogance to just throw  it all away.

• Like 3

They destroyed so much so quickly. Yet they are still here and we are meant to be grateful.

Can’t believe we are creeping up towards a decade of these profligate misers: brilliant at spending someone else’s money.

It will be a necessary but awful tragedy if they end up being here longer than Jack.

Anyway... Tugay. Will we ever see his like again? Unlikely. I can guarantee one thing though, he would NEVER get into a Mowbray team, and that upsets me nearly as much. Imagine never having watched him play.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Nothing more needs to be added from me about the great man.

However, looking through those photos upsets me as much as anything. What a great club they purchased and what an act of disgusting arrogance to just throw  it all away.

That's what really frustrates me about those who take some kind of moral high ground and want to forgive them for the wanton damage they have done. 

I will never forgive them.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

They destroyed so much so quickly. Yet they are still here and we are meant to be grateful.

Can’t believe we are creeping up towards a decade of these profligate misers: brilliant at spending someone else’s money.

It will be a necessary but awful tragedy if they end up being here longer than Jack.

Anyway... Tugay. Will we ever see his like again? Unlikely. I can guarantee one thing though, he would NEVER get into a Mowbray team, and that upsets me nearly as much. Imagine never having watched him play.

It’s an opinion on a theoretical topic...but I think Mowbray would probably select Tugay...but as he’s pushing 50 perhaps only as sub...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray would tell us Tugay would play, but he never would.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Rubbish Stuart and you know it,  Tugay would get ten mins per week on the right wing !

• Like 1