Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philipl

Lancashire Telegraph

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

That applies to anybody in the public eye who voices an opinion. If you are a sensitive soul then you are in the wrong game.

Exactly, you don't see many columnists coming out and writing articles about sections of people that have the gall to disagree with them. The guy needs some thick skin. He obviously is bothered despite claiming he isn't.

Edited by JacknOry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not criticising his character for a moment, he's probably a nice lad for all I know!

There are loads of people who I disagree with on a host of issues, but I still count amongst my best friends. Such is life.

It just seems weird he is so sensitive about criticism, when he's put himself up there to be shot at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2019 at 14:01, Mattyblue said:

Purely by accident I have found that I have personally received a lot of criticism for this column over the years.

Unlike Tony Mowbray I cannot hold back the deluge by picking up a defiant win.

By no means am I asking for your sympathy nor your lenience. I always, 100 per cent, stand by what I say and that will not be diluted by other people’s views.

I’m here to be shot at and whether you are a Shearer-esque sharp-shooter, or a Stokesian blank-firer, you are entitled to do so.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/quicktest/18019450.the-unexpected-drama-follow-rovers/

 

He’s definitely not bothered though :D

Maybe it's his amazing dancing bear that's bothered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2019 at 15:59, AllRoverAsia said:

He posts some great Rovers photos on Facebook, lots of oldies, so I now give him some leeway when reading the LT.

Its a game of opinions and his are less right-wing than some on here.

As someone who is left wing and thinks Simon consistently talks tosh, albeit eloquently, I don't get you there. It's football, not politics, there's no correlation between political leanings and wanting our manager sacked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

As someone who is left wing and thinks Simon consistently talks tosh, albeit eloquently, I don't get you there. It's football, not politics, there's no correlation between political leanings and wanting our manager sacked. 

As you say football and politics should not mix.

Oddly enough and only a few days ago I saw an interesting Youtube video of the top 10 politically influenced football clubs in the world. 

In my post, I wasn't thinking Politics and maybe I should have used 'Corporate' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

As you say football and politics should not mix.

Oddly enough and only a few days ago I saw an interesting Youtube video of the top 10 politically influenced football clubs in the world. 

In my post, I wasn't thinking Politics and maybe I should have used 'Corporate' 

Fair enough, not sure how that applies either tbh. Do you mean harsher? Since you seemed to be talking about levels of patience.

Sucks that there are any politically influenced clubs but there are...were most of them from Italy and I'm guessing maybe Russia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bluebruce said:

Fair enough, not sure how that applies either tbh. Do you mean harsher? Since you seemed to be talking about levels of patience.

Sucks that there are any politically influenced clubs but there are...were most of them from Italy and I'm guessing maybe Russia?

All over, Italy, Spain, Russia, Cyprus and even Israel, plus others.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 21:29, AllRoverAsia said:

As you say football and politics should not mix.

Oddly enough and only a few days ago I saw an interesting Youtube video of the top 10 politically influenced football clubs in the world. 

In my post, I wasn't thinking Politics and maybe I should have used 'Corporate' 

No, your meaning was clear enough lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised the LET is still going to be perfectly honest. The level of journalism there has always been of barely GCSE standard and it's gone further downhill in recent times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, smudge1971 said:

My job is to write about Rovers, sell newspapers and keep the advertising revenue coming in.

I do not agree with the personal abuse directed at you above but as a fan's column should your role not be to cast an independent over view of what is happening down at the Club and to call a spade a spade if things are not going well?

You'd  probably sell more papers or attract more viewers if you told it as it is rather than just accepting everything the manager says without question. There's more of enough from that from Rich Sharpe who probably doesn't want the Club  to fall out with the so you can afford to take a more objective stance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly there is a fat line of lawyers and other forces which dictate what I can and cannot write about. The paper is no longer an independent concern but part of NewsQuest UK. 
  I have 350 words to put across my view and so there is little room for nuance. It has to be condensed. 
  Believe me I would have stepped down long ago if I was sure Paul Yates wouldn’t get the job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smudge1971 said:

Sadly there is a fat line of lawyers and other forces which dictate what I can and cannot write about. The paper is no longer an independent concern but part of NewsQuest UK. 
  I have 350 words to put across my view and so there is little room for nuance. It has to be condensed. 
  Believe me I would have stepped down long ago if I was sure Paul Yates wouldn’t get the job. 

Who's Paul Yates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed reading that and take all your points. I did not mean that I write to sell papers or generate revenue. The sole purpose of the local newspaper industry nowadays is to do so. I would love to tell what I know. You all know how we got here from there but I would love to explain how we got there from Premiership comfort and who has the money. I can’t. The law is on the side of the rich. 
 

My view is this; the forums are always alight with negativity. Fair play. I see some here are positive and I acknowledge that. 
My view is that we are a middle of the road club and no manager is going to wave a magic wand. So I write that. I am not a happy clapper or owt. I support the club, have been a season ticket holder since I was 6 in 1977. I do give too much leeway but that is because love is blind. 
  I am occasionally furious after a game but my column isn’t written then. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

‘Middle of the road’, call it what you want. But a club with our playing budget, infrastructure and Cat 1 Academy shouldn’t be flirting with a second relegation to the third division since 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smudge1971 said:

I enjoyed reading that and take all your points. I did not mean that I write to sell papers or generate revenue. The sole purpose of the local newspaper industry nowadays is to do so. I would love to tell what I know. You all know how we got here from there but I would love to explain how we got there from Premiership comfort and who has the money. I can’t. The law is on the side of the rich. 
 

My view is this; the forums are always alight with negativity. Fair play. I see some here are positive and I acknowledge that. 
My view is that we are a middle of the road club and no manager is going to wave a magic wand. So I write that. I am not a happy clapper or owt. I support the club, have been a season ticket holder since I was 6 in 1977. I do give too much leeway but that is because love is blind. 
  I am occasionally furious after a game but my column isn’t written then. 
 

 

Thing is mate that there's a world of difference to when we were 'middle of the road' under Kendall, Saxton and Mackay compared to now - at least we gave it a go and we didn't have a pot to piss in back then.

Fair play for sticking your head above the parapet though, I was made aware of this site through exactly the same means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smudge1971 said:

I enjoyed reading that and take all your points. I did not mean that I write to sell papers or generate revenue. The sole purpose of the local newspaper industry nowadays is to do so. I would love to tell what I know. You all know how we got here from there but I would love to explain how we got there from Premiership comfort and who has the money. I can’t. The law is on the side of the rich. 
 

My view is this; the forums are always alight with negativity. Fair play. I see some here are positive and I acknowledge that. 
My view is that we are a middle of the road club and no manager is going to wave a magic wand. So I write that. I am not a happy clapper or owt. I support the club, have been a season ticket holder since I was 6 in 1977. I do give too much leeway but that is because love is blind. 
  I am occasionally furious after a game but my column isn’t written then. 

I think the negativity attributed to this site is a little unfair and a projection as viewed from the other side of the blue-and-white-tinted spectacles. Many on here would call it realism.

It usually reflects and focuses the negativity that we all feel after games and aims it like a spotlight on the root causes. Usually the same root causes game after game. You don’t write after games or in anger but we all frequently do. After a defeat this is a place to avoid, for sure, but only because we are all passionate about our club, and want to see it succeed.

The dawn of the mainstream internet and therefore messageboard/forum age coincided with a startling upturn in the fortunes of the club and, despite that success, people still wanted to see us improve and to not fall backwards. Perhaps we all didn’t want the dream to end. Maybe we are crazed perfectionists who will always demand more? For example, Souness was one of my favourite Rovers managers. I didn’t want him to leave, even towards the end. But he did have to go because he has lost what he had and it was impacting the team and results and we were heading back down. There is no shame in that time having come for Mowbray. I don’t want us to be relegated again. I highly doubt it will be as easy to escape next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

We certainly did give it a go. There has not been one decent attempt, since the Venky's dismantled us down.

So many of our fans have just chosen to re-write the pre-Walker years, when we were regular challengers, even if we never made the final push...1978-fifth, 1981-third ( missed out on goal difference) 1984-fifth, 1985-fifth, 1988 -fifth, 1989-fifth and play off final, 1990-fifth..

Too much accepting the unacceptable imo..

Well said. I even read on the Facebook group that we are punching above our weight the other day.... What is it? 5 seasons (I think) in the third tier in our 144 year existence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 3 proper defenders we have are 1 yellow away from a suspension. Imagine they all got a yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LDRover said:

Well said. I even read on the Facebook group that we are punching above our weight the other day.... What is it? 5 seasons (I think) in the third tier in our 144 year existence.

 

Yep..It makes me sick, to be honest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AAK said:

All 3 proper defenders we have are 1 yellow away from a suspension. Imagine they all got a yellow.

I can hear it now...injuries and suspensions  blah, blah...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.