Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philipl

Lancashire Telegraph

Recommended Posts

Just now, 47er said:

Ok fair enough but it does seem to me like he resigned because he was fed up of defending the indefensible. He goes on to express views totally similar to the ones that are commonly expressed on here. 

Also, I read the first 10-15 comments from readers following his article. I usually don't bother because they are generally of the "support the team FFS" but this time they aren't.

They  are the same views as are currently overwhelmingly expressed on here about the plight of the Club.

Maybe, fans have finally woken up and realised that we are going nowhere with this manager.

Couple of observations from me.

It did seem as though Simon had decided he had had enough. I can totally understand why but it does come across as though he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory by blaming a very small minority of OTT personal comments.

The response comments on Fb and even the LT to the news were almost all just wishing him well. I expected a lot more backlash against the ‘haters’.

I think at this point both sides of the ‘divided loyalties’ are just completely jaded by events at the club. There is definitely a certain amount of helplessness as we all watch the latest aftershock of the Rovers-Venkys car crash.

I really hope rumours of Rovers being almost breakeven are a prelude to Venkys tearing up the debt book and handing over to someone who cares about the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Couple of observations from me.

It did seem as though Simon had decided he had had enough. I can totally understand why but it does come across as though he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory by blaming a very small minority of OTT personal comments.

The response comments on Fb and even the LT to the news were almost all just wishing him well. I expected a lot more backlash against the ‘haters’.

I think at this point both sides of the ‘divided loyalties’ are just completely jaded by events at the club. There is definitely a certain amount of helplessness as we all watch the latest aftershock of the Rovers-Venkys car crash.

I really hope rumours of Rovers being almost breakeven are a prelude to Venkys tearing up the debt book and handing over to someone who cares about the club.

Can you elaborate on these rumours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JacknOry said:

Can you elaborate on these rumours?

Have a read on here. Maybe I’ve over-egged “rumours”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Mr Smith, very odd really. Are you telling me that in his 20 years of writing he has never witnessed somebody disagreeing with his opinions? Almost feels as this was an excuse to quit rather than being the actual reason. 2 or maybe 3 posts that maybe went over the top and he cannot hack it and so suddenly leaves. Either needs skin that is 100 times thicker or was looking for something he could pin walking out on.

My opinion, his hands are obviously tied as to what he can say in the LT, and with our current run he knows that it is far too difficult to keep putting a positive spin on things. 

Edited by JacknOry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JacknOry said:

On Mr Smith, very odd really. Are you telling me that in his 20 years of writing he has never witnessed somebody disagreeing with his opinions? Almost feels as this was an excuse to quit rather than being the actual reason. 2 or maybe 3 posts that maybe went over the top and he cannot hack it and so suddenly leaves. Either needs skin that is 100 times thicker or was looking for something he could pin walking out on.

My opinion, his hands are obviously tied as to what he can say in the LT, and with our current run he knows that it is far too difficult to keep putting a positive spin on things. 

My opinion too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I wasn’t talking about why he resigned, just how poor it is was for some people to make the comments they did when he visited the site in good faith. 

His comments were designed to antagonise and dumb the club down in line with the Mowbray and Tesco narrative. Middle of the road my arse.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 47er said:

My opinion too.

He almost touched on things being bad in his final article but again, it was the players he was allowed to blame it on rather than the manager. Seems he is not allowed to criticize TM or those running the club in my opinion. TM needing a holiday was about as far as he could go - which was a rather preposterous article when it was put up, but now you can kind of see through it - that was as far as he was allowed to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s see who gets the gig. Paul Yates on the Fans Jury has always bern realistic.

If he ends up in situ and starts banging on about TM needing a winter break to the Maldives, then obviously these writers are being leaned on editorially..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rovers is probably the only thing that sells papers in the Blackburn area for the LT so they will toe the line as close as they can. Even if they don't want to, their orders are issued from elsewhere remember.

Days gone by local journos spoke as fans and the paper like the club belonged to locals so they had to go along with weight of opinion. Not anymore and just like the club these days it's a franchise run by number crunchers miles away.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Bring back Peter White 

As daft as that post is, another Peter White at the LT would be great.

Would he survive alongside 2019’s social media-fed fanbase though? Not sure. Maybe he would lead it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly a lot don't want to hear it like it actually is anymore they are used to being spoon fed fixed narratives and hype. Glance at it for 30 secs then flick onto the next thing, not interested in any depth or making their own minds up on what they actually see.

It's easier if you just believe everything you are told and as we've seen politically over the last few years propaganda rules.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Re no win position etc: if the LT still is a newspaper, why does it have to report such comments without irony or critique?

Because its afraid of losing its press accreditation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Because its afraid of losing its press accreditation?

A newspaper could lose its accreditation for critiquing comments from a representative of private enterprise? Journalism is well and truly dead!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

What does "press accreditation" actually consist of?

A plastic badge with Press on it. Pretty sure @Kamy100 used to get invited to the club press conferences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant regarding their input? What or what are they not  allowed to print? And who decides?

Edited by DeeCee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell is that Mowbray 1000 days article in today’s LT ? Is it just me or is Mowbray some genius manager who has saved our Club? It’s like he’s some kind of messiah reading that . Christ we are in a relegation scrap for the short term at least and yet there is more babble about us being in far better shape than when he arrived . Really? Considering what he’s spent ?

another classic LT article no doubt prescribed by the clubs own spin doctors . Its like we’ve been dropped into the Trueman Show 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stuart said:

A plastic badge with Press on it. Pretty sure @Kamy100 used to get invited to the club press conferences.

We are still accreditted and I am sure if we applied to attend Pressers then we would be allowed to attend.  A few years ago when I had more time I did try to go every week.  Problem these days is finding time to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TBTF said:

What the hell is that Mowbray 1000 days article in today’s LT ? Is it just me or is Mowbray some genius manager who has saved our Club? It’s like he’s some kind of messiah reading that . Christ we are in a relegation scrap for the short term at least and yet there is more babble about us being in far better shape than when he arrived . Really? Considering what he’s spent ?

another classic LT article no doubt prescribed by the clubs own spin doctors . Its like we’ve been dropped into the Trueman Show 

(please take out)  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fair enough doing an article highlighting the 1000 days and the turn around from where we were under clownpants. However you could be forgiven for thinking we are on the verge of something big right now instead of looking like being on the verge of a relegation scrap. Problems many rightly feel this manager has been bringing on himself for 12 months.

End of the day in football you are judged on last months results and your latest signings not last year, 2 years ago, ten years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the latest fans jury column it is clear that only Paul Yates is capable of writing things as they actually are.

Give him the job.

The others are just in a blue and white cloud cuckoo land, as was the recently departed incumbent columnist.

Problem is that many of our fans only read the LT and take each story as fact, as though it was written by Peter White. They need a good dose of reality, not wrapping up in blue and white cotton wool. Club is fucked. Mowbray is useless. It needs sorting out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.