BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mogga's India Trip 2019

LT:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17676487.rovers-chief-executive-on-budget-talks-with-owners-venkys/

‘They wanted to discuss the blip in the middle of the season, what can we do better on that front, and Tony gave an explanation on that.’

The image of Balaji doling out the tactical advice to TM :D

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

LT:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17676487.rovers-chief-executive-on-budget-talks-with-owners-venkys/

‘They wanted to discuss the blip in the middle of the season, what can we do better on that front, and Tony gave an explanation on that.’

The image of Balaji doling out the tactical advice to TM :D

I'd would have loved to hear Tony's explanation of that 'blip'. 

• Like 1

If weve got a similar budget then Mowbray is very lucky IMO. Just hope the biggest signing is a centre back, Jake Cooper fits the bill. Have to look at free agents, the likes of Jake Bidwell, Albert Adomah and Liam Palmer could all improve the team without a transfer fee, as well as the loan market as the 2 play off finalists prove. And hopefully pick up a couple of gems from abroad.

• Like 4

Can someone name me a club without Sky tv/parachute money that DOESNT rely on a benefactor model?

There seems to be a belief or attitude coming from somewhere that we are unusual and that everyone else balances the books every year.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Can someone name me a club without Sky tv/parachute money that DOESNT rely on a benefactor model?

There seems to be a belief or attitude coming from somewhere that we are unusual and that everyone else balances the books every year.

I haven't read or heard anyone claim we are unique in this regard. 

Sharpe just states that it is the model we operate under. Which it is. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I suspect it is an orchestrated attempt to convince as many people as possible that operating at a loss is unusual and that Venkys are doing more than they need to or should be expected to by funding it every year. If they don't want to do it then clear off because we ain't going to be self sufficient at this level and there sure as hell isn't anything else they're bringing to the party.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I haven't read or heard anyone claim we are unique in this regard. 

Sharpe just states that it is the model we operate under. Which it is. 

Yes, but the fact he mentions it in virtually every article on the owners or our finances suggests he feels it is worth reminding people about, or that it is different somehow to what happens elsewhere.

Just now, JHRover said:

Yes, but the fact he mentions it in virtually every article on the owners or our finances suggests he feels it is worth reminding people about, or that it is different somehow to what happens elsewhere.

That's your interpretation. 

At the end of the day, he isn't saying anything untrue 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, JHRover said:

''Benefactor Model'' and ''Flex'' are the in words at Rovers

but BM is prevalent throughout the EFL.

Shaun Harvey recently: 

"We have a business model that relies, just about, on owner funding."

"Those owners are either benevolent, looking after their local clubs who they have supported for many years, or are investing to try to achieve the big prize that Aston Villa and Derby are going to play for this time."

• Like 1

It’s perfectly true.

But you don’t read ‘Trevor Hemmings funded Preston North End’ or ‘Middlesbrough, who operate under a Steve Gibson benefactor model’ in their local paper.

Weird recent innovation.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

...and we better not see akin to Jack Walker benefactor model. This is a benefactor model with a lot of asterisks or as some might call it "subsidised model". I prefer the latter where the Raos are concerned. 

Of course every club operates under the "adapt to FUP" model. ?

Of course if they want to leave the club in a stronger position than they found it then they really should start with a new manager. Can anyone say that Mowbray is a better manager than Souness, Hughes or Allardyce? Even if you think he can win promotion (and I don't think you should base that on perhaps scraping through the playoffs after finishing 6th one year) don't think anyone can argue his case there.

At the time of starting a new manager poll (a few weeks back) my thoughts were the upcoming season would start off very badly. I've changed my view slightly on account of the last few games (though wouldn't totally rule out an awful start) but mixed results at best still aren't going to win promotion. 

Edited by Vinjay17

Yep Hemmings has been doing it at North End for years as have many other owners offsetting a bit of tax on a loss leader that's why they own the things in most cases so the 'benefactor' model is a very common scenario.  This is just the new tag line for the previous '30 mill per year pumping in' that got chucked in every live tv game commentary relentlessly.  Just Vs PR people earning their coin and Sharpe won't be immune to it either.

Only difference at Ewood to a lot of others is the spectacular losses these owners have racked up so most of the funding goes to under pin that instead of actually building the club until very recently.

That aside sounds like similar budget to last season which had headroom in it to sign AA & BB plus some loans so pretty much as you where on that score as I thought it would be. So so important Mowbray and his crew pull their fingers out and get it right this time not spunking money on has beens and might be's.  I do get the impression though that more and more words and links just point to filling out the squad again instead of investing in a bit of ready made quality. The 'flex' is in play again so this time it could well go up the wall on big wages and no fee - for Downing !!!!!

Waggot says TM wants depth then goes on to say you can't stand still in football, well you will with a mentality of just signing squaddies i'm afraid Stevie boy.

Come on Tony grab the bull by the balls and stop just patting it on the back !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

There's a clear intention to make the club as sustainable as possible - I don't really see what is wrong with that. In fact, isn't it beginning to show signs of working? At the risk of sounding brainwashed, surely the evidence is already showing that buying cheap and young talent, polishing it up, and creating value, is already showing signs of working both on and off the pitch in comparison to anything else we've had under Venkys.

Correct but to build a side knocking on the top 6 door in the coming season or two it'll need some quality in some key areas to balance out the polishing and maintain a good side for the youth to grow into to.

Now is the perfect time to think outside the gap plugging or only buying to see a future return because we have value in the squad and a good bit of potential future value.

Time to think outside the box a bit.

• Like 2

I wonder if the budget 'similar to last season' includes the money that Mowbray (allegedly) didn't spend in August 18 and January 19 or have the Indians lumped that into the current budget?

Or was it bullshit?

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I think the real plan is to get us in serious contention in 2-3 seasons. There are no soundbites coming out of the club that make any of us believe that we're going to be serious promotion contenders until then, and based on that, I don't fully expect us to be, either. They want to do it the Norwich/Burnley way... In other words, low-budget, but smart-budget. Doing a Sheffield Wednesday (or a Rovers under Kean!) is obviously a no-go for them.

Nobody needs to warm to the owners after everything that's happened, but looking forwards, it seems like a sensible philosophy to me.

Apart from Mowbray himself saying promotion was the aim? ?

26 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I think the real plan is to get us in serious contention in 2-3 seasons. There are no soundbites coming out of the club that make any of us believe that we're going to be serious promotion contenders until then, and based on that, I don't fully expect us to be, either. They want to do it the Norwich/Burnley way... In other words, low-budget, but smart-budget. Doing a Sheffield Wednesday (or a Rovers under Kean!) is obviously a no-go for them.

Nobody needs to warm to the owners after everything that's happened, but looking forwards, it seems like a sensible philosophy to me.

It is and its been laid down by auditors and probably TM and his team, no complaints on that score after the mess or before so I don't know why you are dragging it in that direction.

My point that still stands is now it's time to add quality for a window or two to help that building process. We've seen before under Bowyer that just trying to make a team worth value before promotion keeps you stable for a while but you just end up treading water trying to get this conveyor belt of talent to sell going.  Then the sales start, sometimes inevitable and you go backwards all of a sudden at a great rate of knots.

The Burnley model signed players for specific jobs and got in quality in key areas and yet they had to withstand a regular big player leaving but money was reinvested in horses for courses first and foremost not potential future sales all across the park with other gaps plugged by youth and freebies.

We might well have a plan of 3 or 4 windows and no one in their right mind should expect us to be right in the mix all season next season but we need to be taking bold steps to get there whilst this squad has value in it already AND future potential.  A couple of astute signings in key areas who might cost a bob or two but might be late 20s and not expected to double in money overnight if they do well, that was the point.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

You'll get at least half the league (and then some) saying that top 6 and/or promotion is the target. Not many come out and say that mid-table is the aim when, in reality, we are barely at that stage, in spite of the encouraging signs from this season.

Three promotion spots up for grabs. Six teams or so in serious contention. Another 6-10 wanting to be in and around it. The target (in this case, top 6) is all good and well, but it's the light at the end of the tunnel. We are a couple of seasons away from that I think, and that's if everything goes to plan.

In fairness (and please don't ban me, joke :)) Mowbray did say last year mid table was the aim.

Ya, I think we are going for a slow build, but how will the reaction be on here next season to say.. 9th? I suppose it depends on how we end up there. 

I just question our bottle when it comes to the game that would break into the top 6. We haven't done it since we went down. I'm not including any of Steve keans tenure.