BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Old Rovers Footage

Some fantastic footage there - glimpses of Duggie in his pomp giving Spurs the runaround. Can anyone find old film of the 7-2 win over them at Ewood in the early 1960s?

As for the quartered shirts do they think Bristol Rovers play in one eighth shirts? 

Edited by jim mk2

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Some fantastic footage there - glimpses of Duggie in his pomp giving Spurs the runaround. Can anyone find old film of the 7-2 win over them at Ewood in the early 1960s?

As for the quartered shirts do they think Bristol Rovers play in one eighth shirts? 

I'd give a lot to see extended highlights of that game Jim. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at the time. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Why do we keep going in circles around this.

Of course we play in halves, but at one time the halves were always reversed at the back, ergo they were described as quarters.

They were called Quarters as made of 4 pieces of cloth.

Yes is the answer to the Bristol question.

Everyone now accepts that in the modern age and shirt manufacture Rovers design is called halves.

Rovers themselves referred to the shirt as quartered up to at least WW2

Not a pop at just you but some posters on here refuse to accept historical truth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Best I've ever seen Rovers play.  We took Spurs to the cleaners. The 8-2 at West Ham would be good to see too. 

I was there for the 7-1 caning of a pretty good Notts Forest side, that was probably the nearest we've come to that Spurs game. Having said that Spurs then were the equivalent of City or Liverpool today. It was one of those days when that team clicked and when they did they were a goal scoring machine.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd give a lot to see extended highlights of that game Jim. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at the time. 

I can help a little here. I don’t have videos, but if you are on Facebook, join “the Talbot archive” group. On there you will find some great photos of that game plus other wonderful photos of rovers, football in general and all things Blackburn. 

Edited by den
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, den said:

I can help a little here. I don’t have videos, but if you are on Facebook, join “the Talbot archive” group. On there you will find some great photos of that game plus other wonderful photos of rovers, football in general and all things Blackburn. 

A wonderful group which I joined soon after it appeared. They have I think 16 photos of the 7-2 win over Spurs and numerous others of great interest. Some good Rovers photos of times gone bye have also recently appeared in "TheRovers'' Facebook group. 

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Rovers v Aston Villa at Ewood 1904

I think the commentator has got his ground layout wrong. At the time of this match, the main stand at Ewood Park backed on to the River with 2 separate smaller stands on the Nuttall Street side. 

• Like 1

These are a great watch...

Can anyone help?

For ages, I have been trying to source a film of Watford v Rovers  -1972 I think- the 3-1 away win, where Tony Field got that fantastic lob.

My southern friends got to see proper highlights,  featured on their Sunday afternoon Big Match, but Gerald Sinstadt et al gave us the obligatory 40 minutes of a Man Utd bore draw and only 30 seconds of Rovers at the end!

22 minutes ago, renrag said:

I was living in South Wales at the time and the full highlights were broadcast there. I think Brian Moore was the commentator and I seem to remember him making several references that the Rovers had chartered a disco train (?) for the fans.

That was the Football League Liner Jack. It was massively innovative at the time. Football fans were treated with disdain at the time by the media and the Football League put their necks on the line with this project. Each carriage had different features such as footage of previous games and indeed the disco carriage you mention. I didn't go to Watford on it but I went to Hereford (I think) where we got gubbed by 6-2. In the disco carriage felt tipped markers were left for you to write pretty much what you wanted on the carriage walls. I remember Burnley had it the week before and there was lots of anti Rovers graffiti, all wrongly spelt of course.

• Like 2

On 12/06/2019 at 07:18, arbitro said:

That was the Football League Liner Jack. It was massively innovative at the time. Football fans were treated with disdain at the time by the media and the Football League put their necks on the line with this project. Each carriage had different features such as footage of previous games and indeed the disco carriage you mention. I didn't go to Watford on it but I went to Hereford (I think) where we got gubbed by 6-2. In the disco carriage felt tipped markers were left for you to write pretty much what you wanted on the carriage walls. I remember Burnley had it the week before and there was lots of anti Rovers graffiti, all wrongly spelt of course.

I remember going on it at least twice, Watford and Cambridge? Birdy was running the bar cart and the disco coach depressingly girl-free.

Was it No4 who handled it on the line? If so, that was Ronnie Clayton or Jacky Campbell.

The rough game was amazing and the swaying crowd unbelievable. This was like us now playing one of the top 4 in the Prem. 

Notice the music associated with sport in the 40s and 50s. Nothing but military marches. Wonderful memories for me.