BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Old Rovers Footage

On 12/06/2019 at 12:18, arbitro said:

That was the Football League Liner Jack. It was massively innovative at the time. Football fans were treated with disdain at the time by the media and the Football League put their necks on the line with this project. Each carriage had different features such as footage of previous games and indeed the disco carriage you mention. I didn't go to Watford on it but I went to Hereford (I think) where we got gubbed by 6-2. In the disco carriage felt tipped markers were left for you to write pretty much what you wanted on the carriage walls. I remember Burnley had it the week before and there was lots of anti Rovers graffiti, all wrongly spelt of course.

You still get these in Germany.  St Pauli do 1 for the last away game of the season.  Called the sonderzug.  It has a bar and a party carriage where punk and ska music are played.  Usually leaves in the small hours to arrive at breakfast time for a few more before the game.  Usually ends in carnage.  I’m still plucking up courage to go one year.

The mid 70s were a great time following the Rovers with both the League Liner and the Ewood Express, each holding around six hundred. I went to York, possibly 1974, on a Blackburn Corporation single decker in green, cream and red. Loads of coaches went that day and there was no restriction on the arrival time in those days. We had several hours to kill before kick off and a few coach loads went up to the railway station to await the arrival of the Ewood Express. As it pulled in, all the doors opened before it stopped and hundreds of lads were running along the platform to a cacophony of noise as all the coaches lot joined in as well. Happy days, didn’t matter we were in the 3rd Division, everyone seemed to get behind the lads at a time when Blackburn had a thriving night life. It really was ‘Our Town, Our Team’ and that’s coming from a Darrener!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

The mid 70s were a great time following the Rovers with both the League Liner and the Ewood Express, each holding around six hundred. I went to York, possibly 1974, on a Blackburn Corporation single decker in green, cream and red. Loads of coaches went that day and there was no restriction on the arrival time in those days. We had several hours to kill before kick off and a few coach loads went up to the railway station to await the arrival of the Ewood Express. As it pulled in, all the doors opened before it stopped and hundreds of lads were running along the platform to a cacophony of noise as all the coaches lot joined in as well. Happy days, didn’t matter we were in the 3rd Division, everyone seemed to get behind the lads at a time when Blackburn had a thriving night life. It really was ‘Our Town, Our Team’ and that’s coming from a Darrener!

We still had one or two players then that got you out of your seat whenever they got the ball.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

There were a fair few of those ‘third division’ lads that would walk straight in to our current team, Jones, Herd, Fazackerley, Metcalfe, Field to name but five.

Don Martin and Andy Burgin would get in for me as would Johnny Price instead of Bennett on the right wing, at least he could cross a good ball !. You could bring " The Don " on for Graham when he runs out of puff and Burgin was a better full back than the three left backs we have at the moment.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

When we had Bailey and Hird as our full backs with Keeley and Faz in the middle we had as good a defence as you will ever get at that level.

I agree Andy. The centre halves didn't really have a lot of football in them (similar to Nelsen and Samba) but they could head it, kick it, kick the opposition, were all leaders and put their bodies on the line. I laugh when I hear about 'footballing' centre backs like John Stones who has probably been caught in possession and cost goals in his short career than any of the above did in their entire careers. I call it the Guardiola effect ?.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I agree Andy. The centre halves didn't really have a lot of football in them (similar to Nelsen and Samba) but they could head it, kick it, kick the opposition, were all leaders and put their bodies on the line. I laugh when I hear about 'footballing' centre backs like John Stones who has probably been caught in possession and cost goals in his short career than any of the above did in their entire careers. I call it the Guardiola effect ?.

We weren't leaking 3 goals a game then either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Indeed Tony. And it’s no coincidence that City’s best defender over the past few seasons has been Vincent Kompany. 

All the great teams have been built around a rock solid central defence, think 70s Leeds and Derby, 70s and 80s Liverpool, 90s and 00s United, Arsenal and Chelsea, not to mention our own title winning team. All with big powerful centre halves who took no prisoners. 

Football is not a complicated game. 

You coming up to my adopted city for the Rangers game mate?

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Indeed Tony. And it’s no coincidence that City’s best defender over the past few seasons has been Vincent Kompany. 

All the great teams have been built around a rock solid central defence, think 70s Leeds and Derby, 70s and 80s Liverpool, 90s and 00s United, Arsenal and Chelsea, not to mention our own title winning team. All with big powerful centre halves who took no prisoners. 

Football is not a complicated game. 

You coming up to my adopted city for the Rangers game mate?

I am Andy. I will be on the train and planning to meet up with Ian Cardoo's cousin who is an avid Rangers fan and runs a supporters club.

Will you be there Andy?

Just now, arbitro said:

I am Andy. I will be on the train and planning to meet up with Ian Cardoo's cousin who is an avid Rangers fan and runs a supporters club.

Will you be there Andy?

I will indeed Tony. I have loads of family and friends coming up and also quite a few jocks (of both persuasions) attending.

My older son gets married the next day literally right across the road from Ibrox! 

There is a Wetherspoons and many other decent pubs right next to Central Station, maybe catch up with you for a pre match pint?

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I will indeed Tony. I have loads of family and friends coming up and also quite a few jocks (of both persuasions) attending.

My older son gets married the next day literally right across the road from Ibrox! 

There is a Wetherspoons and many other decent pubs right next to Central Station, maybe catch up with you for a pre match pint?

It'd be nice to meet up Andy but could I understand your Darren/Jock hybrid accent ?.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, arbitro said:

It'd be nice to meet up Andy but could I understand your Darren/Jock hybrid accent ?.

15 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I had to listen very closely last time I spoke to him ?

You can take the lad out of Darwen, but............

• Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic
On 10/06/2019 at 05:12, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Rovers v WBA at Ewood FA Cup 5th round 1952...The Blue n Whtes win 1-0 in front of 51,000 and then comes an old foe.....

Rovers V Burnley at Ewood FA Cup 6th round 1952....The Blue n Whites win 3-1 in front of a crowd of 53,000.

Why are we not wearing out homeshirts against West Brom?

49 minutes ago, renrag said:

Because when there was a colour clash in the FA Cup, back then, both clubs had to change. In that game we played in red and WBA played in white. In the semi final in 1958 against Bolton, both clubs second colours were red, the clubs tossed for who had to use a third strip. Rovers lost and played in black and white stripes.

Another interesting change was in the late 70’s we were drawn away at Millwall, in the FA Cup, they had been banned from playing at The Den and it was played at Ewood, but we were the away team and Millwall played in blue and Rovers had to change. I wonder who used the home dressing room

Well I didn,t know that ..learn something everyday ..cheers Rengar

• Like 1