Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SIMON GARNERS 194

Old Rovers Footage

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, renrag said:

I was living in South Wales at the time and the full highlights were broadcast there. I think Brian Moore was the commentator and I seem to remember him making several references that the Rovers had chartered a disco train (?) for the fans.

That was the Football League Liner Jack. It was massively innovative at the time. Football fans were treated with disdain at the time by the media and the Football League put their necks on the line with this project. Each carriage had different features such as footage of previous games and indeed the disco carriage you mention. I didn't go to Watford on it but I went to Hereford (I think) where we got gubbed by 6-2. In the disco carriage felt tipped markers were left for you to write pretty much what you wanted on the carriage walls. I remember Burnley had it the week before and there was lots of anti Rovers graffiti, all wrongly spelt of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

That was the Football League Liner Jack. It was massively innovative at the time. Football fans were treated with disdain at the time by the media and the Football League put their necks on the line with this project. Each carriage had different features such as footage of previous games and indeed the disco carriage you mention. I didn't go to Watford on it but I went to Hereford (I think) where we got gubbed by 6-2. In the disco carriage felt tipped markers were left for you to write pretty much what you wanted on the carriage walls. I remember Burnley had it the week before and there was lots of anti Rovers graffiti, all wrongly spelt of course.

 

Thanks Tony, that one passed me by. I bet we got our revenge with the graffiti and, as they say, he who laughs last..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2019 at 07:18, arbitro said:

That was the Football League Liner Jack. It was massively innovative at the time. Football fans were treated with disdain at the time by the media and the Football League put their necks on the line with this project. Each carriage had different features such as footage of previous games and indeed the disco carriage you mention. I didn't go to Watford on it but I went to Hereford (I think) where we got gubbed by 6-2. In the disco carriage felt tipped markers were left for you to write pretty much what you wanted on the carriage walls. I remember Burnley had it the week before and there was lots of anti Rovers graffiti, all wrongly spelt of course.

 

I remember going on it at least twice, Watford and Cambridge? Birdy was running the bar cart and the disco coach depressingly girl-free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Rovers v Newcastle 1952 FA Cup Semi-Final at Hillsborough in front of 65,000

....and then the replay at Elland Rd.

Watch them crowds sway!

 

Whoever it was bursting through for us at the end of the replay should have put that one away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Whoever it was bursting through for us at the end of the replay should have put that one away.

It looks like my boyhood idol, Eddie Crossan. A flawed diamond who was in the Douglas mould when it came to dribbling and using the ball, yet more akin to Ken Beamish when he was in sight of the goal. In those days Elland Road had a boys pen at that end and we had room to sit on the terrace steps, whilst the rest of the ground was spilling over the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it No4 who handled it on the line? If so, that was Ronnie Clayton or Jacky Campbell.

The rough game was amazing and the swaying crowd unbelievable. This was like us now playing one of the top 4 in the Prem. 

Notice the music associated with sport in the 40s and 50s. Nothing but military marches. Wonderful memories for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, bazza said:

Was it No4 who handled it on the line? If so, that was Ronnie Clayton or Jacky Campbell.

The rough game was amazing and the swaying crowd unbelievable. This was like us now playing one of the top 4 in the Prem. 

Notice the music associated with sport in the 40s and 50s. Nothing but military marches. Wonderful memories for me.

 

It was Jack Campbell, Ronnie played left half that season, after Eric Bell suffered a long term injury. We all thought Rovers should have had a free kick for a foul on Elvy moments before, but of course it was a free for all on goalkeepers then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking for a decent copy of the highlights of that great day at Anfield in 1995 but everything on YouTube is crappy VHS to DVD done badly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2019 at 12:18, arbitro said:

That was the Football League Liner Jack. It was massively innovative at the time. Football fans were treated with disdain at the time by the media and the Football League put their necks on the line with this project. Each carriage had different features such as footage of previous games and indeed the disco carriage you mention. I didn't go to Watford on it but I went to Hereford (I think) where we got gubbed by 6-2. In the disco carriage felt tipped markers were left for you to write pretty much what you wanted on the carriage walls. I remember Burnley had it the week before and there was lots of anti Rovers graffiti, all wrongly spelt of course.

 

You still get these in Germany.  St Pauli do 1 for the last away game of the season.  Called the sonderzug.  It has a bar and a party carriage where punk and ska music are played.  Usually leaves in the small hours to arrive at breakfast time for a few more before the game.  Usually ends in carnage.  I’m still plucking up courage to go one year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went on the league liner once. Early to mid seventies I think it was to Hereford but I may be mistaken. what a good laugh for  a young kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.