BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Old Rovers Footage

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Fulham v Rovers 1968

Excellent! That had me reaching for my Football League Review to remind myself how many clubs Frank Large played for. Meccy and Eamonn looked younger and slighter than Buckley, and even Sir Keith was given the runaround by Johnny Haynes. Most impressive was the 18-yr-old Malcolm MacDonald, what a player he looked even then - about as far from Ben Brereton as it’s possible to imagine.

57 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Excellent! That had me reaching for my Football League Review to remind myself how many clubs Frank Large played for. Meccy and Eamonn looked younger and slighter than Buckley, and even Sir Keith was given the runaround by Johnny Haynes. Most impressive was the 18-yr-old Malcolm MacDonald, what a player he looked even then - about as far from Ben Brereton as it’s possible to imagine.

Frank Large would do for me up front at the moment. Haynes was a class act even at the end of his career. Super Mac was another converted left back. Maybe we should give Williams a run out up front !

1 hour ago, Vinjay said:

This isn't a win but it's one of the craziest games ever at Ewood. Full match from September 1997.

Ref blew the final whistle before the clock got to 90 minutes, nobody bat an eyelid.

Imagine the uproar if that happened now.

Edited by MarkBRFC

7 hours ago, Neil Weaver said:

Don't remember if I had a season ticket that year, but remember that Mickey Speight free kick well.  Think they were a bit of a speciality!

Ian McShane was in the Nuttall St stand that day, getting lots of celebrity attention. His dad had played for Rovers, as well as Man Utd. Ian may even have been born in Blackburn

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

1 hour ago, Amo said:

We played some champagne stuff under Woy... in 97/98 at least ? What was the reason for the wheels coming off that season? We looked like title contenders at one point.

Well there was a big falling out after losing at Old Trafford when Rovers players didn't laugh at being thrashed there. Not that results dropped immediately because Rovers won at Highbury a few weeks later. I've seen it put down to intense training methods and a tiring side (not a lazy team either) but there wasn't a warning of how bad things would get in following season. Hodgson's signings in 1997 other than Henchoz didn't do anything special but they were not disasters either.

17 hours ago, Amo said:

We played some champagne stuff under Woy... in 97/98 at least ? What was the reason for the wheels coming off that season? We looked like title contenders at one point.

According to Kevin Gallacher training sessions were conducted on full size pitches and this left the players shattered in the second half of the season

• 1 month later...