BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

MATT JANSEN - The Autobiography - What was, what is and what might have been

21 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Imagine this is going to be a tough read in parts, but far more deserving of a book than 99% of other footballers who churn them out.

Still can't believe Tord Gripp & Sven opted for Keown. A fifth centre back in a maximum 7 game tournament). Total madness. 

Mislead by Eriksson that he was going to be picked as well. Not like Eriksson to do that to anyone is it? ?

• Like 2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

"Pre-order". How do you order before you order? I'll be buying it - looks a good read. Jansen was so unlucky - would have won many caps for England. 

It means to order it before its even available. Just means that once it is, you'll be shipped a copy straight away.

• Backroom
10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

So you order it. The "pre" is superfluous. 

You’ve been watching George Carlin haven’t you? ;)

’Place the turkey in a pre-heated oven... that’s stupid, there are only two states an oven can exist in. Heated or unheated!’

’This programme was pre-recorded... well of course it was! When else are you gunna record it? Afterwards?!’

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

You’ve been watching George Carlin haven’t you? ;)

’Place the turkey in a pre-heated oven... that’s stupid, there are only two states an oven can exist in. Heated or unheated!’

’This programme was pre-recorded... well of course it was! When else are you gunna record it? Afterwards?!’

I heard someone say "pre-prepare" the other day. I mean, how do you prepare something before you've prepared it? 

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

One thing we should not forget----Matty wasn't wearing a helmet. A tragedy that might have been avoided.

A single act that he will regret for the rest of his life. Young men always think they are invincible - we've all been there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 47er said:

One thing we should not forget----Matty wasn't wearing a helmet. A tragedy that might have been avoided.

Another of those things on here that are repeated so often they become ‘fact’ even though they’re not

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2003/jan/07/sport.comment1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/4750711.former-blackburn-rovers-striker-puts-world-cup-agony-in-past/

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/life-is-good-at-last-for-matt-1-3323971/amp

• Like 3

Well, blow me down! Wherever did I get that idea then? It was commonly stated at the time and never challenged as far as I remember so I simply accepted it.

Feeling very embarrassed tbh. But you are the first person I've ever read on here to say that as far as I recall so I won't be the only one to have got it wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

Well, blow me down! Wherever did I get that idea then? It was commonly stated at the time and never challenged as far as I remember so I simply accepted it.

Feeling very embarrassed tbh. But you are the first person I've ever read on here to say that as far as I recall so I won't be the only one to have got it wrong.

I had also 'bought' into the no helmet story and pleased to learn he was. A class player and lad.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, philipl said:

Jansen was and always will be one of my favourite Rovers players of all time

We were privileged to have seen the very best of him.

The thing that upsets me is, I don’t think we did (and just think how brilliant he was). Come ages 26/27/28 he’d have been possibly keeping Rooney from being an England regular for a bit.

Terrific player and a great lad too. When you look back we had absolutely no luck with really serious injuries during Jack's era. Shearer doing his knee, Batty doing his foot, LeSaux doing his ankle, Warhurst breaking his leg, Wilcox was out a long while. There were others that I can't recall now.Then you have M atty.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

You are certainly not the only one 47er, It was quite a common myth at the time that he wasn't wearing a helmet.

Think it was a few years later that it came out that he was wearing one.

It was rumoured at the time that Rovers didn't get any insurance because he wasn't wearing a helmet. Or maybe it was because his contract forbade him riding a motor cycle.

Either way it was tragic for the lad. I was fourth official at Bolton when he went there and he was on the bench. I had a brief chat to him about Rovers which was clearly difficult for him as he held them in such high esteem.

I'll definitely be buying this - my all-time favourite Rover.

I was watching the goals from the 00/01 season just yesterday, and you forget how good he was. I know a lot of players who played around that era regard Jansen and Tugay as the two most skillful players they ever played with.

I always remember watching his debut against Spurs next to my dad. I was quite excited by him already, before my dad commented that he just kept beating a man, then going back to dribble past him again. He wasn't as impressed by him as I was. Then just after he'd made the comment, Jansen flicked the ball up, spun Sol Campbell and cracked the ball into the bottom corner. 

• Like 2