BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

MATT JANSEN - The Autobiography - What was, what is and what might have been

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'll definitely be buying this - my all-time favourite Rover.

I was watching the goals from the 00/01 season just yesterday, and you forget how good he was. I know a lot of players who played around that era regard Jansen and Tugay as the two most skillful players they ever played with.

I always remember watching his debut against Spurs next to my dad. I was quite excited by him already, before my dad commented that he just kept beating a man, then going back to dribble past him again. He wasn't as impressed by him as I was. Then just after he'd made the comment, Jansen flicked the ball up, spun Sol Campbell and cracked the ball into the bottom corner. 

When he came at first he was still a bit raw and he wasn't really a team player. As we used to say " He needed a ball of his own ". Once the penny dropped he never looked back. One of our all time great players.

• Like 8

Once he started playing again, after the accident, he was regularly having physio sessions. A friend of mine, a long time back sufferer, was also at the same physiotherapist. Apparently, when a ball was played across Matt, he was ok on the vision side of things but, when a ball was played directly up to him, he used to see two balls. I knew this at the time and told one or two people. If I remember correctly, he struggled a fair bit at first but then scored twice in one game. Obviously, every one was willing him to return to how he was pre accident and after those two goals, a lot must have thought he was back. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

On 13/06/2019 at 14:29, Mike E said:

2. Matt Jansen applauding the Blackburn End while in a Bolton kit. ‘That boy saved us from a long time in the second division’.

Sad to say your dad was wrong. Jansen didn't save us from a long time inthe second division, he only delayed it

Remember his debut goal v spurs. Incredible turn and shot. Also that brilliant goal against Bolton at Reebok in our promotion season. 4-1. Feinted to hit the shot then chipped over the keeper who was on his arse. Favourite rovers player who should have had 60 caps much like the likes of Matt le tissier etc

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 5

Will be buying this when it’s released. Absolutely loved the guy and was devasted for him. Potential that will never be realised as he got better and better with every passing game and had every attribute to make it to the top. Besides all the wonderful memories he gave us I still remember jumping wildly when he scored against Pompey and I thought he was on his way back. I will always think what if and if only.  Forever an unfinished story in rovers history.

wish him all the luck in the world and would love to see him back at rovers in some capacity one day

• Like 4

8 hours ago, roverandout said:

Also that brilliant goal against Bolton at Reebok in our promotion season. 4-1. Feinted to hit the shot then chipped over the keeper who was in his arse.

Also one of my favourite goals that. Seem to remember him breaking an awful off-side trap (with Big Col at fault), then making the finish look ridiculously easy. Sat Steve Banks down before clipping it over him.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, roverandout said:

Remember his debut goal v spurs. Incredible turn and shot. Also that brilliant goal against Bolton at Reebok in our promotion season. 4-1. Feinted to hit the shot then chipped over the keeper who was in his arse. Favourite rovers player who should have had 60 caps much like the likes of Matt le tissier etc

Showed unbelievable composure when one bears that in mind.

• Like 8

On 15/06/2019 at 23:43, roverandout said:

Remember his debut goal v spurs. Incredible turn and shot. Also that brilliant goal against Bolton at Reebok in our promotion season. 4-1. Feinted to hit the shot then chipped over the keeper who was on his arse. Favourite rovers player who should have had 60 caps much like the likes of Matt le tissier etc

I remember his best goal as being one he scored after his injury (someone with better memory might correct me on either count). Liverpool. Sublime skill and smashed it into the corner from the edge of the box. I truly thought the real Matt Jansen was back that day and he would still go to the top. I was delighted for him and for us. I truly don't understand why it never happened. I guess the mental problems were too severe and it wasn't enough, or maybe as someone alluded to earlier, his brain physiologically couldn't do everything it used to, just little touches of genius like that, sporadically.

On 18/06/2019 at 02:26, bluebruce said:

I remember his best goal as being one he scored after his injury (someone with better memory might correct me on either count). Liverpool. Sublime skill and smashed it into the corner from the edge of the box. I truly thought the real Matt Jansen was back that day and he would still go to the top. I was delighted for him and for us. I truly don't understand why it never happened. I guess the mental problems were too severe and it wasn't enough, or maybe as someone alluded to earlier, his brain physiologically couldn't do everything it used to, just little touches of genius like that, sporadically.

Yeah I remember that well, the goal was quite early on in the game. If I remember  correctly five minutes later one of our defenders got red carded and Matt had to be sacrificed to bring on another defender. If it wasn't for his bad luck he wouldn't have had any luck at all.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 hours ago, renrag said:

Was that the game when Lucas Neale “did” Jamie Carragher?

That's the one. Baros got a bad injury too - then the next time they came to Ewood, Cisse broke his leg. Granted those two were just freak injuries.

Here's a video of Neill on Carragher. It's an absolutely shocking tackle to be honest!

• Backroom
2 hours ago, frosty said:

That's the one. Baros got a bad injury too - then the next time they came to Ewood, Cisse broke his leg. Granted those two were just freak injuries.

Here's a video of Neill on Carragher. It's an absolutely shocking tackle to be honest!

Nowt wrong wi thi! Get thisel up an mop yer brow.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Honoured to have been given a copy of Matt's autobiography to read before its September release and yep, it's absolutely superb. The full sincere story - answers to all the questions we've ever asked and simply a must-read for all Rovers fans. We've got some extracts from the book in fanzine Issue 97 this weekend in order to whet your appetites!

Fanzine subscriptions still available here - five issues for just £9 including P&P!

https://roversfanzine.bigcartel.com/product/4-000-holes-full-season-subscription-2019-20?

• Like 6

Just now, 4,000 Holes said:

Honoured to have been given a copy of Matt's autobiography to read before its September release and yep, it's absolutely superb. The full sincere story - answers to all the questions we've ever asked and simply a must-read for all Rovers fans. We've got some extracts from the book in fanzine Issue 97 this weekend in order to whet your appetites!

Fanzine subscriptions still available here - five issues for just £9 including P&P!

https://roversfanzine.bigcartel.com/product/4-000-holes-full-season-subscription-2019-20?

Shameless plug. I like it. ?

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2019 at 22:34, Claytons Left Boot said:

Once he started playing again, after the accident, he was regularly having physio sessions. A friend of mine, a long time back sufferer, was also at the same physiotherapist. Apparently, when a ball was played across Matt, he was ok on the vision side of things but, when a ball was played directly up to him, he used to see two balls. I knew this at the time and told one or two people. If I remember correctly, he struggled a fair bit at first but then scored twice in one game. Obviously, every one was willing him to return to how he was pre accident and after those two goals, a lot must have thought he was back. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

Wasn’t that against Villa in the FA Cup. Both sides had weakened sides, and Matt seemed back at his best. Remember leaving Villa Park celebrating his recovery.

Really looking forward to this.

I also suffered near fatal head injuries, also at the fault of a taxi driver funnily enough in Darwen.

The recovery process is so mentally difficult and I bet I can relate to much of what Matt says. I read Richard Hammond's book after his accident and i suspect theres many similarities. 

• Like 1