BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

MATT JANSEN - The Autobiography - What was, what is and what might have been

I’ll be getting this as well. Does anyone have a link to footage of some of his goals/highlights? My stepson is a utd fan and never heard of Jansen so I’m trying to show him what he was all about. YouTube only has an Arsenal game and a Crystal Palace highlights video but I’m sure a rovers fan must have made one?

10 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

I’ll be getting this as well. Does anyone have a link to footage of some of his goals/highlights? My stepson is a utd fan and never heard of Jansen so I’m trying to show him what he was all about. YouTube only has an Arsenal game and a Crystal Palace highlights video but I’m sure a rovers fan must have made one?

The best you can do is probably the videos that show every Rovers goal from the promotion season and the first season back up. He scored some beauts especially in the promotion season. If you type in ‘Blackburn Rovers goals 00/01’ then it’ll come up.

Not ideal but I suppose he’ll also be able to appreciate how good Duff, Dunn and (in the 01/02 video) Tugay were too! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frosty said:

The best you can do is probably the videos that show every Rovers goal from the promotion season and the first season back up. He scored some beauts especially in the promotion season. If you type in ‘Blackburn Rovers goals 00/01’ then it’ll come up.

Not ideal but I suppose he’ll also be able to appreciate how good Duff, Dunn and (in the 01/02 video) Tugay were too! 

Oh yes I bore everyone with how good Tugay was! Andy is well aware of him by now ? thanks btw I ended up watching the 00/01 video, we had a great wee team there. I’d forgotten about hignett myself. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that this is a terrific read. Offers great insight into the life of a professional, some astonishing stories from all stages of his career, a view of management styles & of course the trauma of having an innate natural talent taken away from you at the peak of your powers.

Well worth a purchase...book signing at Ewood being planned, but I have a horrible feeling it will be made an 1875 member event to sell more memberships just you watch... ?

• Like 2

On 19/08/2019 at 13:45, frosty said:

Excellent link and a reminder that we used to score with headers and shots from distance. Jansen was simply superb.

A whole host of Rovers goals here

https://www.youtube.com/user/staytrue1985/videos

Edited by AllRoverAsia

https://theathletic.com/1187478/2019/09/07/matt-jansen-returns-for-the-first-time-to-the-scene-of-the-moped-accident-that-changed-his-life-forever/ Great article on Jansen returning to the site of the accident with the The Athletic today. Apologies if you're stymied by the paywall, you might be able to get in one article read... (If you can't read it, I'm sure the BBC one posted above by Matty, or the many other articles floating around to promote the book will suffice!)

(I swear I'm not marketing The Athletic haha. If I was, I'd be asking you guys to use my promo code to get myself store credit on Amazon haha...)

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic
On 18/08/2019 at 20:31, The Hypnotic said:

The season reviews of 00/01 and 01/02 are the best place to see Jansen in full flow. He played with such enjoyment and confidence, it is/was a pleasure to see. Right up there in terms of the most talented players to don the blue and white in my lifetime. Contrast with 02/03 review and you can see the difference in him. Looked quiet on the pitch, shy smile. Such a shame.  Tord Grip has a lot to answer for.

looking forward to getting this book, as he is a thoroughly nice guy and I’d like to know more about his journey. Will alas be waiting for the price to come down a bit. May even be a bit niche to feature in ‘the works’ random selection of autobiographies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Crying shame what happened to him. Sven has a lot to answer for. Who knows where his career would have gone to if he'd kept his promise. He certainly would't have been in Rome. Amazing how one decision proved life changing. I thought he had everything, special talent.

Eriksson wasn’t exactly good at keeping promises. Him and Roy Keane wouldn’t spoil a pair.

Wonder where Rovers would have been...

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Eriksson wasn’t exactly good at keeping promises. Him and Roy Keane wouldn’t spoil a pair.

Wonder where Rovers would have been...

He was about to take off. Bentley was great for us, but got greedy and burned out. Matt could have been the sober Gascoigne.

• Like 1

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

He was about to take off. Bentley was great for us, but got greedy and burned out. Matt could have been the sober Gascoigne.

Jansen was fantastic. Probably bested only by Craig Bellamy since.

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Bellamy was a problem, that's why he didn't stick with clubs, Matt's potential was off the scale. We, of course, never got to find out.

Aye, but he was brilliant as a striker. Don’t remember him ever missing a one-on-one for us.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I always wondered how much better that 02/03 side that finished 6th would have done with a fully fit Jansen In the squad.

Good point, Yorke and Cole didn't do loads that season yet we still finished 6th and reached the semi-final of the League Cup.

If Jansen and Cole had carried on from where they left off in 01/02, coupled with Duff's often world class form that season and Friedel being unbeatable at times, there'd have been no stopping us! We'd have probably gone further in the UEFA Cup too.

• Like 4

Shearer,Jansen,Bellamy,Cole,Cruz..what a joy to witness players of this Calibre at our club.

When I see the current  lacklustre incumbents in our famous shirt I pinch myself and ask did it really happen?,it's enough to make you ferkin weep...

Oh for a time Machine to be invented!!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 2

• Backroom

Loved Matty one of my all time favourites but I have to confess I always believed he wasn’t wearing a helmet and perhaps even felt a little bitter towards him for it.

Remember after a midweek game at Anfield the world was at his feet, measured up for flight socks and then it all went horrifically wrong. 

Also remember him scoring in one of Hughes early games and we all thought he was back :(