BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

MATT JANSEN - The Autobiography - What was, what is and what might have been

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

Just bought this on Kindle.

Looking forward to reading it later.

Early reviews seem positive....

I got it yesterday afternoon and have avidly read several chapters already. I have read lots of autobiographies over the years and this is up there with the best so far (and I haven't even got to him playing for us yet).

• Like 1

On 10/09/2019 at 12:24, Tom said:

Loved Matty one of my all time favourites but I have to confess I always believed he wasn’t wearing a helmet and perhaps even felt a little bitter towards him for it.

Remember after a midweek game at Anfield the world was at his feet, measured up for flight socks and then it all went horrifically wrong. 

Also remember him scoring in one of Hughes early games and we all thought he was back :(

It's been an enduring myth that Jansen never wore a crash helmet, even within non-Rovers circles.

Wonder how that got started?

Halfway through the book now, and its a good read.

My friend and I went to Rome back in 2010 and after being there for about 2-3 minutes and seeing the road situation, I turned to him and said ''What the hell was Matt Jansen thinking?''

Italian roads, particularly in cities are something else!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As always, apologies for sharing a paywalled link (I think they'll let you look at one article, if your cookies haven't already logged a view), but The Athletic's latest 'Perfect Player' feature has Jansen describing his 'Perfect Blackburn Rovers Player': https://theathletic.com/1224181/2019/10/05/perfect-player-matt-jansen-tugay-would-smell-of-tobacco-in-the-dressing-room-then-run-the-show-for-45-minutes/

If you can't access the link, in short (it's actually a fairly short article): Tugay's right foot and intelligance, Duff's left foot, Gillespie's speed, Short's heading, MGP's engine, Flitcroft's tackling, and Reid's 'niceness'.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 08/09/2019 at 19:01, Stuart said:

Eriksson wasn’t exactly good at keeping promises. Him and Roy Keane wouldn’t spoil a pair.

Wonder where Rovers would have been...

23 years ago today since he was named manager. I wonder who his agents were then? Surprised Eriksson's past links to SEM/Kentaro haven't been brought up more. Maybe Jack refused to sign a bunch of players from his agent mates.

Edited by Vinjay

• 1 month later...

Got this for Christmas and just read it in 3 sittings.

Starts off as a decent footy biography with a Rovers interest and becomes a more riveting read (sadly) post accident, especially with the story being punctuated with the views of the other contributors (souness, flitty, Sven, Peters etc..)

What surprised me was the amount of time from accident to him leaving Rovers. I recall his goals at Villa Park early in his return, but would never have said he was here for 3 and a half years after his accident before he was released. I always remember him as having  left by the time of Stead, Yorke and Emerton.

Edited by Hasta

It was all those brief, flitting returns that made it so sad.

The goal in Hughes’ first game as manager, for example, was in September 2004, so over two years since the accident and that was another ‘is he back?’ moment, alas not.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

It was all those brief, flitting returns that made it so sad.

The goal in Hughes’ first game as manager, for example, was in September 2004, so over two years since the accident and that was another ‘is he back?’ moment, alas not.

Not many players come back after being out that length of time. It's never a good sign.

Think we all knew. It just wasn’t there anymore.

At his Q&A the other month he said it was the loss of instinct than did for him. He’d be thinking of what to do with the ball as he received it, instead of instinctively knowing, that split second of indecision was fatal in the PL.

Edited by Mattyblue

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm about 3/4 the way through this. While of course one has to have a huge amount of sympathy for him at his career getting cut short like that, I  think Jansen is very lucky that Rovers stuck by him, because simply by getting on that scooter he was in breach of explicit written instructions from the club. The book also confirms what a pampered existence top players have.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone can blame Sven or Tord Grip for Jansen's accident. Did they drop a bollock by taking Keown instead of Matty? Absolutely. But shifting the blame to them only robs Jansen of personal responsibility.

8 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm about 3/4 the way through this. While of course one has to have a huge amount of sympathy for him at his career getting cut short like that, I  think Jansen is very lucky that Rovers stuck by him, because simply by getting on that scooter he was in breach of explicit written instructions from the club. The book also confirms what a pampered existence top players have.

To be fair, he had a lot of credit in the bank following his performances over the space of a couple of years. And also there was something in it for us in the hope that he could return to something like his old self. Indeed although he didnt, there were at least flashes and contributions after that, the goals at Villa Park and the winner at home to Portsmouth examples of that.

Interesting to compare to Ben Gladwin. Whilst I appreciate that the difference is a lack of personal blame on Gladwins part, he earnt a pity contract on the back of absolutely nothing that he gave to the club to warrant such loyalty and didnt show any promise to suggest sticking by him could be favourable for the club.