BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

MATT JANSEN - The Autobiography - What was, what is and what might have been

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, he had a lot of credit in the bank following his performances over the space of a couple of years. And also there was something in it for us in the hope that he could return to something like his old self. Indeed although he didnt, there were at least flashes and contributions after that, the goals at Villa Park and the winner at home to Portsmouth examples of that.

Interesting to compare to Ben Gladwin. Whilst I appreciate that the difference is a lack of personal blame on Gladwins part, he earnt a pity contract on the back of absolutely nothing that he gave to the club to warrant such loyalty and didnt show any promise to suggest sticking by him could be favourable for the club.

I'm not criticising him or the club, to be honest, its just an observation of a situation that seemed to go unreported among a load of other drivel that was reported back in 2002. At the time of the accident the story was that he didn't have a crash helmet on (which was untrue) but I don't recall ever reading or hearing that he had broken club rules by riding a motorbike. I guess he thought he was invincible, as we all did at that age.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
1 minute ago, Gordon Gekko said:

Super Matt Jansen on Soccer AM! such a sad story how everything unfolded. Tord Gripp bloody clueless! Jansen would haven been perfect to come on against the 10 men of Brazil in the Quarter Final defeat.

It's the most 'sliding doors' moment I can think of in my life. He was a brilliant player. 

We always take too many defenders to international tournaments - you're not going to change a game by throwing on another defender. Always take the extra attacker. Martin bloody Keown. 

• Like 7