BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

O'Neill after being sacked at forest after 5 months. Lost the players apparently. 

Ahem, I called that here. I said he wouldn't start next season as manager. Absolute dinosaur tactically but his attitude is the absolute deal breaker for me. He gave players and reporters plenty of attitude when Ireland manager. I'm so unsurprised he has been sacked. 

• Like 1

Some turnover of managers in the Championship!

Mowbray is the 4th longest serving manager at this level.

1. Neil Harris (29th April 2015 - present)

2. Lee Johnson (6th February 2016 - present)

3. Neil Warnock (5th October 2016 - present)

4. TONY MOWBRAY (22nd February 2017 - present)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He's not the only one. 

You have no idea about O'Neill now I don't think. He may have a better CV than Mowbray, but Mowbray has moved more with the times,  in regards to how he deals with players ,the media and also tactically. 100% give me Mowbray any day of the week

So, when I am being accused of "Irish bias" in future , please note the above.  :) 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You have no idea about O'Neill now I don't think. He may have a better CV than Mowbray, but Mowbray has moved more with the times,  in regards to how he deals with players ,the media and also tactically. 100% give me Mowbray any day of the week

So, when I am being accused of "Irish biased" in future , please note the above.  :) 

I’d prefer o neill personally 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Some turnover of managers in the Championship!

Mowbray is the 4th longest serving manager at this level.

1. Neil Harris (29th April 2015 - present)

2. Lee Johnson (6th February 2016 - present)

3. Neil Warnock (5th October 2016 - present)

4. TONY MOWBRAY (22nd February 2017 - present)

And he has been relegated and promoted during that time!

He’ll be the longest serving soon. Arsene Mowbret.

• Like 1

So, when I am being accused of "Irish bias" in future , please note the above.  :) 

I never even mentioned Mowbray, strange that when I mention O'Neill not being the only dinosaur in management you respond by comparing him to Mowbray. Also there is no 'may have a better CV than Mowbray' he has got a better CV than Mowbray. He had many successful years as a Premier League manager Mowbray has had one season in the Premier League and he finished bottom. As for their respective records at Celtic they are not even comparable. 

Also I would say with the team he had O'Neill did a decent job with Ireland getting them to the Euro's last 16 losing to France and getting them to within one game of the World Cup last year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I never even mentioned Mowbray, strange that when I mention O'Neill not being the only dinosaur in management you respond by comparing him to Mowbray. Also there is no 'may have a better CV than Mowbray' he has got a better CV than Mowbray. He had many successful years as a Premier League manager Mowbray has had one season in the Premier League and he finished bottom. As for their respective records at Celtic they are not even comparable. 

Also I would say with the team he had O'Neill did a decent job with Ireland getting them to the Euro's last 16 losing to France and getting them to within one game of the World Cup last year. 

Oh come on now, are you really claiming that's not who/what you meant? Please. 

Saying "he may have a  better CV than Mowbray, but...." means he has a better CV. I don't think anyone else thought I meant anything to the contrary.

We did ok in the Euros alright, but that was not representative of his time in charge, particularly everything after that. I have a season ticket, so I sat through the qualifying campaign where we lost in the play-offs, it was awful. Shane Duffy was our top scorer. The play-ff was probably the worst game I have ever attended. 

Only lasting 5 months at Forest where he would have been a club legend tells its own story. Rumours of falling out with players were to be expected. He fell out with many of the Irish players. 

At this current time, from what I have seen of both , I would prefer Mowbray. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Saying "he may have a  better CV than Mowbray, but...." means he has a better CV. I don't think anyone else thought I meant anything to the contrary.

We did ok in the Euros alright, but that was not representative of his time in charge, particularly everything after that. I have a season ticket, so I sat through the qualifying campaign where we lost in the play-offs, it was awful. Shane Duffy was our top scorer. The play-ff was probably the worst game I have ever attended. 

But Ireland have been a terrible side to watch for many years going all the way back to Jack Charlton's teams, the only difference is that now unlike in previous years you don't have the players to grind out the results. And any side who's main attacking options are Shane Long and Jon Walters are bound to struggle to score goals but that is how international football works you have to work with what you have and Ireland were always going to find it very hard to replace the goals of Robbie Keane.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Only lasting 5 months at Forest where he would have been a club legend tells its own story. Rumours of falling out with players were to be expected. He fell out with many of the Irish players. 

This Guardian article doesn't paint a pretty picture; O'Neill loses Forest dressing room

Lung busting pre season runs for the players finally did him in. Football fitness has moved on from the days of long cross country runs every day.  

I can't see his successor doing much either.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But Ireland have been a terrible side to watch for many years going all the way back to Jack Charlton's teams, the only difference is that now unlike in previous years you don't have the players to grind out the results. And any side who's main attacking options are Shane Long and Jon Walters are bound to struggle to score goals but that is how international football works you have to work with what you have and Ireland were always going to find it very hard to replace the goals of Robbie Keane.

That is indeed all true, but we were particularly hard to watch under O'Neill. The players looked like they didn't have a clue what they were meant to be doing. He played Cyrus Christie midfield in one game and Christie admitted afterwards he had never played centre midfield before and didn't know he would play there until 45 minutes before the game, he thought it was a mistake. There was no indication from training that he would play there. There were also leaks from the players that training involved 5 a side games and no tactical work or no work on the opposition. It sounds like great training if you are 16 years old, but for an international team it's shocking.

The biggest issue I would have with O'Neill however is his extremely prickly nature. He badly rubbed Doherty, who is potentially our best player, up the wrong way before he even played for us. He had his attack dog Keane accusing others of faking injury. I will say that I think Mowbray is a bit Lazzes-fare at times, but I think that is better than falling out with players. I think warnock falls out with players, but he seems to do it in almost a humourous way. O'Neill came accross as very unapproachable. There was also his ongoing battle with the main RTE reporter Tony O'Donohue which started off as funny, but ended up as childish bickering. O'Neill would refuse to answer the most basic of questions after games. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

This Guardian article doesn't paint a pretty picture; O'Neill loses Forest dressing room

Lung busting pre season runs for the players finally did him in. Football fitness has moved on from the days of long cross country runs every day.  

I can't see his successor doing much either.

Players looking like they don't know what they are meant to be doing. Ridiculously old school training. Yep, sounds about right. 

He's not the same manager who used to be jumping up and down on the sideline with Leicester. He did great at villa too in fairness, but I think time caught up with him and he wasn't willing to change. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

What else can you expect when you appoint a psycho as your assistant?

He sure is. I have some serious disagreements with friends about this. You literally cannot say a bad word about him to united fans. 

Still, I would prefer him as manager here ahead of O'Neill. 

He sure is. I have some serious disagreements with friends about this. You literally cannot say a bad word about him to united fans. 

Still, I would prefer him as manager here ahead of O'Neill. 

I'm no United fan but as a player and a captain Roy Keane was everything I would want in a player. 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I'm no United fan but as a player and a captain Roy Keane was everything I would want in a player. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I always said having Keane in your team when he was in his prime was like playing with 12 when everybody else had 11. He was as good a central midfield player as I have seen.

Shur look, he was unreal. His record and reputation speaks for itself. Probably underrated as a footballer if anything, oddly. He could do it all and had an attitude that only accepted the best. 

I feel doubly let down by him though. Firstly renaging on his deal to come here and secondly Saipan. 

Have ye heard the story about him wanting to sign Savage from us? So funny and classic Keane. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's a bit worrying when the previous manager also fell foul of " Player Power ". I wonder how this crop of players would have gone on under Brian Clough ?

If it wasn't O'Neill I would have thought the same. A chairman will never sack all the players though. Its always the manager who falls on his sword. I suppose they are well compinsated.