BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

5th?

I know you were excited about Bauer, but come on.

Having spent most my adult life in the Forces and based mainly Scotland, Rangers are the team I've followed and do follow. 

Mixed family PNE and Rovers. More Rovers. I actually like both as strange as that may seem for different reasons. 

11 hours ago, philipl said:

I haven't looked forward to a new football season with such anticipation and pleasure since Mark Hughes was our manager.

I know that the odds are that I am destined to be disappointed and frustrated but sitting here without a ball being kicked, I believe that Rovers are sitting very pretty indeed.

For a start, there is no reason to have any realistic fear of relegation. We had bad runs last season but the causes of those runs  are being addressed and we forget that we also went on some very good runs as well and were rarely comprehensively out-played while in some matches out-performing form teams and promotion challengers.

There is also every reason to expect progress over last season and looking around the rest of the league,  there really aren't any clubs that we need to unduly fear. Certainly there are stronger clubs than Rovers but nobody we should regard in the same way that Burnley will “look forward” to playing  Manchester City or Liverpool for example.

Notwithstanding the possibility of a nightmare transfer window ending,  we have had no sleepless nights over losing key players II's which is quite a novelty as a Rovers fan and a very pleasant experience at that.

In-Comings have not been spectacular but man for man there is every prospect of the new signings being without exception improvements over the players who have left  in each position. I was sad to see Raya go but need to remind myself of Birmingham City at home as only the worst example for all the stunning saves he produced.

I like the way we have added players in the twilight of their careers bearing in mind we have so many tremendous prospects coming through from the Academy.  If Downing and Johnson in combination with Mulgrew and Graham give us a fabulous last year in this season only, Rovers will undoubtedly be there or thereabouts. 

Last season,  we had the second youngest squad in the championship. Inevitably, young players on average improve so we should should be stronger by the simple passage of time and accretion of experience.

What I have also come round to is liking the season start,  probably facing the league's bottom Club on the opening day two seasons running followed by Fulham away before they have got back into the habit of winning again.

I am not  predicting a playoff place,  but I would not be surprised to see Rovers and Brentford both upsetting a few apple carts by finishing in the top 6.

Thank you, Boris. Nice to hear some positive thoughts. Makes a change from all the negativity on this board.  But do you really think you (Rovers) can deliver?

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Luton showing there why having a poor defence and a dodgy keeper is so costly!

The law change about the ball not having to leave the penalty area on goal kicks will encourage teams to over play from the back and give away cheap possession. I hope Mowbray has worked on this at both ends of the pitch.

• Like 1

We will finish top 10 this season .. There I've said it 

I am going to go out on a limb here and say (Harrison Reed apart) the players that have have come in are better or at very least equal in ability to those  players that have left  so the squad has improved .We've added physical size to the squad . There was times lasts on when I looked at our players and thought we must have the smallest m in terms of height , squads in the division . We have young players like Travis Nyambe Rothwell and Brereton that will improve this season and kept our best players like Lenighan and Dack 

• Like 2

• Backroom

Cracking opening fixture, highly entertaining although neither defence covered themselves in glory. Luton will be chuffed with that result regardless, showed that they are no pushovers and well up for the challenge. Assambalonga's penalty miss undoubtedly the turning point, it would surely have been over if he'd converted that. 

• Like 1

Well that was all jolly good fun tasting beers I haven't tried before.

Cracking game of the plucky under dogs win a draw but get stuffed for 6 in the replay variety.

Boro not going up for all the excellence of Randolph and Wing. Edit, if Boro are going up, Rovers have no excuse for not going up with them.  

Luton need to find three clubs worse than themselves PDQ or they are going down. Sluga's near post vulnerability just been beamed into 22 Championship Managers' TVs.  

Edited by philipl

What an enjoyable watch. I was up late for the Test match so gambled on staying awake for this and glad I did.

Championship officials are pants.

Luton will be a test for anyone at home, let's see how they travel.

They would have won today if not for their keeper and the Ref

Just now, DE. said:

Cracking opening fixture, highly entertaining although neither defence covered themselves in glory. Luton will be chuffed with that result regardless, showed that they are no pushovers and well up for the challenge. Assambalonga's penalty miss undoubtedly the turning point, it would surely have been over if he'd converted that. 

Jonny Wilkinson would have been proud of that one, so much height when so near. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Jonny Wilkinson would have been proud of that one, so much height when so near. 

I can forgive a penalty when it's saved, generally, but there's no excuse for a striker to miss the target from 12 yards imo. Especially one on the type of wage Assombalonga is on! 

• Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

Well that was all jolly good fun tasting beers I haven't tried before.

Cracking game of the plucky under dogs win a draw but get stuffed for 6 in the replay variety.

Boro not going up for all the excellence of Randolph and Wing. Edit, if Boro are going up, Rovers have no excuse for not going up with them.  

Luton need to find three clubs worse than themselves PDQ or they are going down. Sluga's near post vulnerability just been beamed into 22 Championship Managers' TVs.  

I smiled when heard it pronounced Slew-ga, he moves like I was pronouncing it.

• Like 2