BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

8 hours ago, DE. said:

Stoke beaten by Crawley tonight... some kind of spiral they're in at the moment.

More of a plummet than a spiral! 

That said although it is early days Hurts & Stoke both look in a right mess. Huddersfield's implosion at the weekend and Stoke's loss to lower league opposition show that they are in a hell of a bad way and the rot is pretty deep. 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

More of a plummet than a spiral! 

That said although it is early days Hurts & Stoke both look in a right mess. Huddersfield's implosion at the weekend and Stoke's loss to lower league opposition show that they are in a hell of a bad way and the rot is pretty deep. 

Stoke are almost a mirror image of Ipswich at the moment. A struggling lower league manager who has made poor signings in the summer, a terrible start to the season and knocked out on penalties in the cup by League 2 opposition (Ipswich were beaten on pens in the EFL cup by Exeter last season). Ominous signs, although overall Stoke have a more talented squad than Ipswich so if they ditch Jones and bring in somebody decent they could get themselves out of trouble. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DE. said:

Stoke are almost a mirror image of Ipswich at the moment. A struggling lower league manager who has made poor signings in the summer, a terrible start to the season and knocked out on penalties in the cup by League 2 opposition (Ipswich were beaten on pens in the EFL cup by Exeter last season). Ominous signs, although overall Stoke have a more talented squad than Ipswich so if they ditch Jones and bring in somebody decent they could get themselves out of trouble. 

Those "poor signings". Didn't they sign 5 players in one day in the summer ? Then people came on here saying how well they had done !

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, DE. said:

And they still have some big earners who are contributing nothing. Berahino on £80k weekly for example.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/stoke-city-f.c/payroll/#

Just now, K-Hod said:

That can't be up to date, as Berahino is now playing in Belgium.

I had a vague recollection of him moving but didn't check. Just looking further it appears that Stoke paid his contract up with a reported £2m payoff. They also paid £12m for him.

Think some Stoke fans are deluded if they think Allardyce or Moyes will drop to the bottom of the Championship. Assuming they don't go up or even go down and assuming the League enforce their own rules then they're going to be in serious FFP trouble soon.

The obvious one is Hughton but not sure he'd move up North to a sinking club. He can wait for something better like Fulham or Derby who could both have vacancies themselves by Xmas.

Just now, JHRover said:

Think some Stoke fans are deluded if they think Allardyce or Moyes will drop to the bottom of the Championship. Assuming they don't go up or even go down and assuming the League enforce their own rules then they're going to be in serious FFP trouble soon.

The obvious one is Hughton but not sure he'd move up North to a sinking club. He can wait for something better like Fulham or Derby who could both have vacancies themselves by Xmas.

If they want a big name they'll want to act sharpish. There's still something of an attractive proposition there in that they have a squad with talent (albeit under-performing) and an owner with fairly deep pockets, but the more they get cut adrift the more it's too much of a risk. 

8 hours ago, DE. said:

I said their summer signings wasn't good enough but I'm surprise just how poor they have done this season. Players look good enough for top 6/half this season. 

I'm not sure they go next for another manager if they need 1

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

The Stoke fans comments Ive seen on social media backing Jones. 

I don't see Allardyce coming back into Football at all. I don't see either Fulham or Derby going for him. Derby owner went for Cocu cos his footballing style is similar to Lampard. Hughton style is boring 4-5-1 long ball which wouldn't suit their team

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I said their summer signings wasn't good enough but I'm surprise just how poor they have done this season. Players look good enough for top 6/half this season. 

I'm not sure they go next for another manager if they need 1

The Stoke fans comments Ive seen on social media backing Jones. 

I don't see Allardyce coming back into Football at all. I don't see either Fulham or Derby going for him. Derby owner went for Cocu cos his footballing style is similar to Lampard. Hughton style is boring 4-5-1 long ball which wouldn't suit their team

With their squad they should definitely be doing a lot better. Everything points to the players being utterly confused or having downed tools. Either way the only route out of that kind of situation is normally appointing a new manager.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/board/2/stoke-city-fc

Absolutely no support for Jones on here tbh. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

With their squad they should definitely be doing a lot better. Everything points to the players being utterly confused or having downed tools. Either way the only route out of that kind of situation is normally appointing a new manager.

Yes, it's a lot cheaper to fire the manager than all the players. Jones did well at Luton so it does show that success in one set of circumstances does not automatically transfer to another

Just now, DE. said:

I dont see where Stoke go next manager wise. 

I hope Jones get longer there. I dont know why the players would be confused. 

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49828113

This is a strange one. The fact that both of them have been charged and two cars were involved suggests they were each driving the cars. Either way it looks like they have been extremely lucky not to be seriously hurt.

Probably racing or something stupid. 

15 hours ago, Brigger68 said:

Heard on good authority that Class A also involved. Throw the book at the pair of them. Drink, drugs and boy racers. Luckily no innocent people were hurt. 

Pity they didn't snap their legs resulting in careers ending. 

Pair of pricks. 

Let's not pre-judge matters but that is a significant chunk of derby's promotion push potentially facing jail time.

Just now, philipl said:

Let's not pre-judge matters but that is a significant chunk of derby's promotion push potentially facing jail time.

It gets worse.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/richard-keogh-out-season-injury-20248378

Still they have Rooney coming in January to keep their drinking club going.

Keogh's injury could lead to Lenihan or Williams getting a run in the ROI team.

Huddersfield's an odd case.

I couldn't find the exact numbers with a quick search, but I roughly recall that in their original promotion season, in which they made it to the playoffs despite a negative goal differential and then won promotion through two penalty shootouts, on 'expected goals', they were more like a mid-table team. Then, they avoid relegation despite having the 2nd worst goal differential in the PL, and expected goals again had them as deserving relegation. Finally wore off last year and now they're in freefall.

Either Wagner was performing some magic voodoo that eventually worn off or they may have gone on one of the luckiest two-season runs in football history... Essentially managed a promotion and two years of PL football with a mediocre Championship squad.

Overall happy for their run and their fans, and hopefully puts them on much firmer financial footing going forward.

• Like 2