BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

Just now, DE. said:

Ipswich fans have pretty much always liked Lambert tbh. He's great at PR so he got the fans onside immediately and has had their loyalty ever since. 

With that said what he's doing at the moment doesn't impress me much. League 1 is really poor so I was always expecting a team like Ipswich to be up there challenging. The test for Lambert will be when they're back in the Championship with the same anaemic transfer budget. 

cant be any worse than Paul Hurst recruitment can it

Ipswich in a similar boat to us really. Limited Championship squad and budget. Botched appointments (Hurst/Coyle) replacing or effectively replacing decent and stable predecessors (McCarthy/Bowyer). Poor transfer business. Assets sold. Popular replacements come in too late to achieve survival (Lambert/Mowbray) but stick around to lead a promotion push in League One where the players are too good for the division. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

cant be any worse than Paul Hurst recruitment can it

Hurst's recruitment would have been decent if Ipswich were in League 1 at the time, as a lot of the players they bought were stand-out L1/L2 players and unsurprisingly are doing well now they're at their level. Unlikely they'll be able to make the step up when Ipswich are back in the Championship though so more recruitment will definitely be needed to avoid another relegation.

I watched Leeds v West Brom last night.  What a superb game it was between 2 sides must will surely finish in the top 4 or so.  West Brom were particularly impressive and unlucky not to get a result.  After watching Rovers play on Saturday the gap is huge, from 1 game admittedly.

37 minutes ago, DE. said:

Hurst's recruitment would have been decent if Ipswich were in League 1 at the time, as a lot of the players they bought were stand-out L1/L2 players and unsurprisingly are doing well now they're at their level. Unlikely they'll be able to make the step up when Ipswich are back in the Championship though so more recruitment will definitely be needed to avoid another relegation.

Think Hurst was a mistake from Day 1 at Ipswich cos of his attitude and manner towards the squad. 

If Ipswich do get promote they need to recruitment smartly and better than before

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Ipswich in a similar boat to us really. Limited Championship squad and budget. Botched appointments (Hurst/Coyle) replacing or effectively replacing decent and stable predecessors (McCarthy/Bowyer). Poor transfer business. Assets sold. Popular replacements come in too late to achieve survival (Lambert/Mowbray) but stick around to lead a promotion push in League One where the players are too good for the division. 

that's a fair point. 

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Think Hurst was a mistake from Day 1 at Ipswich cos of his attitude and manner towards the squad. 

If Ipswich do get promote they need to recruitment smartly and better than before

He was unquestionably a mistake and set them back far more than anybody could have predicted. He doesn't seem to be doing much better at Scunthorpe. 1 win in 11 so far. 

One thing Hurst proved was that a lot of the fans had no idea what they were talking about when they celebrated his appointment. They wanted different to Mick McCarthy but he was basically a lower league MM with far less intelligence, experience and man management skills. They just saw "young manager" and instantly thought they were getting exciting, attacking football, when in fact Hurst's teams are functional and attritional. I had no sympathy for the majority of Ipswich's fanbase when they got relegated as they largely brought it on themselves, even if most of them still won't admit it now. They got it right with Lambert but if they think he won't go straight to the Mick McCarthy playbook of grinding out results when they're back in the Championship with a shoestring budget then they are in for a rude awakening.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

He was unquestionably a mistake and set them back far more than anybody could have predicted. He doesn't seem to be doing much better at Scunthorpe. 1 win in 11 so far. 

One thing Hurst proved was that a lot of the fans had no idea what they were talking about when they celebrated his appointment. They wanted different to Mick McCarthy but he was basically a lower league MM with far less intelligence, experience and man management skills. They just saw "young manager" and instantly thought they were getting exciting, attacking football, when in fact Hurst's teams are functional and attritional. I had no sympathy for the majority of Ipswich's fanbase when they got relegated as they largely brought it on themselves, even if most of them still won't admit it now. They got it right with Lambert but if they think he won't go straight to the Mick McCarthy playbook of grinding out results when they're back in the Championship with a shoestring budget then they are in for a rude awakening.

Yes I noticed his record at Scunthorpe isn't good at the minute. 

Ipswich made a wrong move in appoint him. They should have gone for someone like Simon Grayson, Gary Bowyer, Chris Coleman. 

Hurst's recruitment there was very poor. Not very many there now. 

15 hours ago, McClarky said:

I watched Leeds v West Brom last night.  What a superb game it was between 2 sides must will surely finish in the top 4 or so.  West Brom were particularly impressive and unlucky not to get a result.  After watching Rovers play on Saturday the gap is huge, from 1 game admittedly.

I was at Elland Road on Tuesday and it was a tremendous game. Leeds dominated the 1st half and again should have been 2 or 3 up. The injuries to Cooper and Shackleton in the 1st half and them having to come off changed the game. West Brom took the game to Leeds in the 2nd half and deserved a point. 

The pace both teams play at was brilliant to watch. 

Both of them will be Top 6 and I think if you finish above them you are going up. 

15 hours ago, McClarky said:

Head to head Rovers will give both a very tough match.

We are just not remotely set up to entertain despite having crowd pleasing players.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Jones' interview after the Hudds game made it clear that he knew it was over. I'm guessing the owners had told him it was a must win or he was out. Assume the delay is just lawyer stuff. 

Well he is attending his press conference this afternoon. 

Look like no replacement agree to take over yet

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well he is attending his press conference this afternoon. 

Look like no replacement agree to take over yet

Seems to be suggesting he's staying on now. Maybe nobody else was interested.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Mowbray favourite to take over at Stoke 

Well I suppose they might be impressed by his talk of them being a 'huge club'. Suspect he's the only professional in football to ever describe Stoke in such terms. 

• Like 1