BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

Woodgate always seemed a sentimental choice to me. Ultimately whilst patience may last a little longer initially due to him being an ex player, he is doing considerably worse than Pulis was with largely the same squad, and deserves to start coming under serious pressure if these terrible results continue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

This stat keeps coming back to me:

Rhodes and Gestede scored more goals than Shearer and Sutton in a single season. Both are doing nothing now.

Good shout. You’d think a manager might cotton on and take a punt on them. They’d be virtually free and probably lowish wages.....£12m might do it all in for 3 years

I was in Sheffield last weekend for a University reunion and i went along to Wednesday v Wigan with my mate who is a ST holder.

If you think Rovers have a monopoly on dreary football, on fans complaining about square and backwards passing then think again. This was a very poor game that Wednesday were lucky to win.

I've not seen much of Rovers yet this season as I missed the first three home games but overall based on this game we should take 12 points form this pair. We won't of course, because we will probably play badly at least once out of 4 and they will probably be better, but no way are they any better overall than us.

Mulgrew played and whilst there were no howlers Steven Fletcher was beating both centre backs in the air at will. Rhodes wasn't even on the bench and the locals' assumption is that he will be off somewhere in January.

The Eastbank can still make a hell of a noise when Jeff Beck comes on just before kick-off but in truth it was by far the loudest noise the 22,000 crowd made all afternoon.

The rest of the weekend was good though.........

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Barsnley sacked Stendal as manager.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2019/october/clubstatement/

Very surprise by this after last season success

A club that has a plan. No room for sentiment or emotion. He did his job, got them up, now it's clearly not working so replace. 

It is unusual for us sitting here to see such ruthlessness and forward planning. When it was at Rovers we sat in the relegation zone until March then made a change when it was too late. The people running Barnsley have too much sense just to sit back and do nothing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

A club that has a plan. No room for sentiment or emotion. He did his job, got them up, now it's clearly not working so replace. 

It is unusual for us sitting here to see such ruthlessness and forward planning. When it was at Rovers we sat in the relegation zone until March then made a change when it was too late. The people running Barnsley have too much sense just to sit back and do nothing.

Well what the plan? Do they have someone line up? 

I think he deserve more time myself considering they got a young squad. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Sounds like Gomes about to get the boot at Reading too.

No surprise if he was to go tbh

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well what the plan? Do they have someone line up? 

I think he deserve more time myself considering they got a young squad. 

No surprise if he was to go tbh

I've no idea who they have lined up but I'd expect them to move quickly to appoint a replacement, probably someone relatively unknown using their network abroad, rather than another run of the mill appointment.

A quick look at Barnsley's owners and the very fact they took over Barnsley in the Championship suggests they have a plan and idea about what they are doing. A bit like Watford or Brentford you just know that whilst their decisions appear premature or bizarre in the end they turn out to be right. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Barsnley sacked Stendal as manager.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2019/october/clubstatement/

Very surprise by this after last season success

Nothing, absolutely nothing, in football surprises me anymore.

Just one exception to the rule: if Rovers were to sack Mowbray at any time during his current contract I would be friggin amazed.                                                          

I dont know enough about Barnsleys plans going forward to comment specifically but I do think that too much importance is placed on stability nowadays.

Managers often plead for more time but they only warrant that time if they have proven to some extent that they are progressing. They also tend to have a shelf life at a club, so too much "stability" invariably leads to stagnation and then decline.

There are various clubs and examples of clubs who have decided to make what at the time seemed risky or unfair decisions on managers that paid off. Watford have made numerous managerial changes and got success out of that system, at a higher level so have Chelsea (managers with short lifespans at the club, as soon as success dims they are ruthlessly removed and in the main successfully replaced) and a good example is at Southampton. Nigel Adkins was doing a solid enough job, there was media outcry when they took on Pochettino from Espanyol, but it proved to be successfully proactive.

Mowbray is an example of this. Overall, albeit with fairly ample resources, he has taken us from being a very disjointed bottom 3 Championship club, via a relegation and promotion, to a lower mid table club that seems very stable and settled. At the moment, I feel almost certain that we wont be dragged into danger, but I also dont think he has the capability to push us with the required consistency towards the top 6 where he wants us to be. A change would split those who see the same situation as steady and stagnant.

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

I've no idea who they have lined up but I'd expect them to move quickly to appoint a replacement, probably someone relatively unknown using their network abroad, rather than another run of the mill appointment.

A quick look at Barnsley's owners and the very fact they took over Barnsley in the Championship suggests they have a plan and idea about what they are doing. A bit like Watford or Brentford you just know that whilst their decisions appear premature or bizarre in the end they turn out to be right. 

You would hope Barnsley have an idea who they want before sacking Stendal. 

It would be interesting who they appoint. 

They seem to have a plan of buying young players and developing players. 

I am not aware that Barnsley have sporting director/director of football

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont know enough about Barnsleys plans going forward to comment specifically but I do think that too much importance is placed on stability nowadays.

Managers often plead for more time but they only warrant that time if they have proven to some extent that they are progressing. They also tend to have a shelf life at a club, so too much "stability" invariably leads to stagnation and then decline.

There are various clubs and examples of clubs who have decided to make what at the time seemed risky or unfair decisions on managers that paid off. Watford have made numerous managerial changes and got success out of that system, at a higher level so have Chelsea (managers with short lifespans at the club, as soon as success dims they are ruthlessly removed and in the main successfully replaced) and a good example is at Southampton. Nigel Adkins was doing a solid enough job, there was media outcry when they took on Pochettino from Espanyol, but it proved to be successfully proactive.

Mowbray is an example of this. Overall, albeit with fairly ample resources, he has taken us from being a very disjointed bottom 3 Championship club, via a relegation and promotion, to a lower mid table club that seems very stable and settled. At the moment, I feel almost certain that we wont be dragged into danger, but I also dont think he has the capability to push us with the required consistency towards the top 6 where he wants us to be. A change would split those who see the same situation as steady and stagnant.

Stability at clubs can be having the right structure at clubs like if you look Brentford as an example. They have Philip Giles there are Director of football with head coach under him. Dean Smith did a good job there. Now Frank is there. 

I would like to see Sporting Director/head coach structure in place at Rovers after Mowbray leaves. It would allow the head coach to focus on tactics, coaching the players, matchdays without having to focus on scouting or transfer matters. Sporting director works in buying players, scouting system and structure and contracts. Sporting Director and head coach works together to choose the right players they want, for example lets say if head coach want a pacey winger its the Sporting Director job to find 3 or 4 players to fit that role and the Head coach and Sporting Director work together to choose their 1st target

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You would hope Barnsley have an idea who they want before sacking Stendal. 

It would be interesting who they appoint. 

They seem to have a plan of buying young players and developing players. 

I am not aware that Barnsley have sporting director/director of football

Stability at clubs can be having the right structure at clubs like if you look Brentford as an example. They have Philip Giles there are Director of football with head coach under him. Dean Smith did a good job there. Now Frank is there. 

I would like to see Sporting Director/head coach structure in place at Rovers after Mowbray leaves. It would allow the head coach to focus on tactics, coaching the players, matchdays without having to focus on scouting or transfer matters. Sporting director works in buying players, scouting system and structure and contracts. Sporting Director and head coach works together to choose the right players they want, for example lets say if head coach want a pacey winger its the Sporting Director job to find 3 or 4 players to fit that role and the Head coach and Sporting Director work together to choose their 1st target

Most importantly if results deteriorate a change can quickly be made without needing to completely rip up the entire operation. That's why Watford and Brentford have done well on relatively limited funds - because when changes come either in player turnover or managers - they are well placed to deal with it in a smooth manner.

• Like 1