BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

Just now, JHRover said:

Most importantly if results deteriorate a change can quickly be made without needing to completely rip up the entire operation. That's why Watford and Brentford have done well on relatively limited funds - because when changes come either in player turnover or managers - they are well placed to deal with it in a smooth manner.

Woild you like to see Rovers employ a sporting director/head coach structure? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Woild you like to see Rovers employ a sporting director/head coach structure? 

Yes, but only if done properly - e.g. we appoint a competent individual who has been sourced on the basis of a track record elsewhere who is empowered to make decisions with a budget handed down - not if it is another agent, pundit, family friend or other snake oil salesmen who can talk the talk but not deliver like we've had doing it before.

Just now, JHRover said:

Yes, but only if done properly - e.g. we appoint a competent individual who has been sourced on the basis of a track record elsewhere who is empowered to make decisions with a budget handed down - not if it is another agent, pundit, family friend or other snake oil salesmen who can talk the talk but not deliver like we've had doing it before.

So if we appoint like Philip Giles from Brentford or someone like Ex Leicester Steve Walsh then? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Mark Bowen has been appointed Reading new head coach

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/14/mark-bowen-agrees-deal-become-readings-new-head-coach/

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/october/reading-football-club-appoint-mark-bowen-as-manager

will install Eddie Niedzwiecki as his No. 2.

Be interesting to see how they do

So if Hughes does get a new job before end of the season he will need a new backroom staff. Not sure he will anyway. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Very strange appointment. No experience of being a manager at all.

Common consensus seems to be that Bowen has stabbed Gomes in the back. Appointed sporting director a few weeks ago, integral in the process of sacking Gomes, and a key part of "naming" his replacement.

Would fancy Reading for one of the relegation spots now personally. The fans arent going to give a chance to a rookie who they deemed to have been underhand in getting appointed as manager. All replies underneath suggest that they consider him to be a snake.

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Very strange appointment. No experience of being a manager at all.

Common consensus seems to be that Bowen has stabbed Gomes in the back. Appointed sporting director a few weeks ago, integral in the process of sacking Gomes, and a key part of "naming" his replacement.

Would fancy Reading for one of the relegation spots now personally. The fans arent going to give a chance to a rookie who they deemed to have been underhand in getting appointed as manager. All replies underneath suggest that they consider him to be a snake.

Sounds like he's been reading the Steve " The Snake " Kean playbook.

• Like 1

I dont know Reading fans were expect to be honest to be appoint. 

Owners dont know what they want and have been a mess tbh. 

Gomes didnt seem to clue there tbh. Dont think he was in charge of buying the players there so was buying the players?.

Edited by chaddyrovers

Gomes didnt seem to clue there tbh. Dont think he was in charge of buying the players there so was buying the players?.

Bowen has no managerial experience, hes come in and seemingly stabbed a manager in the back to get the job himself. How would you have reacted had Mowbray been sacked and Mark Bowen appointed here? Even without the way he seems to have got the job. Doubt youd be happy so why are you implying that Reading fans are expecting too much.

• Backroom

Probably an actual manager with some (any) experience tbf.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Bowen has no managerial experience, hes come in and seemingly stabbed a manager in the back to get the job himself. How would you have reacted had Mowbray been sacked and Mark Bowen appointed here? Even without the way he seems to have got the job. Doubt youd be happy so why are you implying that Reading fans are expecting too much.

Bowen stabbed Gomes in the back? You sure of this? Considering that the agent of Gomes is the man Reading use him to sign players and is a friend of the owner. Is Bowen part of the agent's agency? 

• Backroom

Bowen wouldnt have been my choice but are Reading waiting a manager who is available next summer or was this part of the plan? 

I don't think you can choose to wait for a manager in the summer when it's October and you're facing a definite relegation battle. You have to assume Bowen was brought in with the intention of becoming manager, despite no track record beyond assistant manager at any point in his career.

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bowen stabbed Gomes in the back? You sure of this? Considering that the agent of Gomes is the man Reading use him to sign players and is a friend of the owner. Is Bowen part of the agent's agency? 

No hence the word "seemingly" but it all seems a little fishy. Theres no way that Bowen has earnt that job on merit, even in the short term, and I can understand the wholly negative reaction from the Reading fans. Apparently he only recently joined Reading, was partially responsible for appointing a new manager, and happened to get it himself.

I am glad because in case we get dragged into any danger, I think Reading have one of the 3 relegation places sewn up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No hence the word "seemingly" but it all seems a little fishy. Theres no way that Bowen has earnt that job on merit, even in the short term, and I can understand the wholly negative reaction from the Reading fans. Apparently he only recently joined Reading, was partially responsible for appointing a new manager, and happened to get it himself.

I am glad because in case we get dragged into any danger, I think Reading have one of the 3 relegation places sewn up.

Bowen is an excellent coach and someone I thought would have gone into club management(as a manager) sooner than he has. He joined Reading as Technical consultant in March. He applied for Swansea head coach job in the summer before he missed out on that job to Steve Cooper. He then rejoined as sporting director at Reading. 

I will say Bowen knows his stuff and It will be interesting to see if he can make as number 1 now

3 hours ago, DE. said:

I don't think you can choose to wait for a manager in the summer when it's October and you're facing a definite relegation battle. You have to assume Bowen was brought in with the intention of becoming manager, despite no track record beyond assistant manager at any point in his career.

I cant speak on why Bowen was brought in as sporting director and why its was Reading owners and CEO decision to bring him on. I was expecting another manager from the agent who is helping Reading

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bowen is an excellent coach and someone I thought would have gone into club management(as a manager) sooner than he has. He joined Reading as Technical consultant in March. He applied for Swansea head coach job in the summer before he missed out on that job to Steve Cooper. He then rejoined as sporting director at Reading. 

I will say Bowen knows his stuff and It will be interesting to see if he can make as number 1 now

I cant speak on why Bowen was brought in as sporting director and why its was Reading owners and CEO decision to bring him on. I was expecting another manager from the agent who is helping Reading

How are you so sure that Bowen "knows his stuff" and is an "excellent coach?"

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

How are you so sure that Bowen "knows his stuff" and is an "excellent coach?"

Read and listen to what players say about him and his coaching methods. Say the stuff above and much more. .

Look at his time at our club and how well we did with him as Hughes as number 2. Football isnt just about the manager but the quality staff around the players.