BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Read and listen to what players say about him and his coaching methods. Say the stuff above and much more. .

Look at his time at our club and how well we did with him as Hughes as number 2. Football isnt just about the manager but the quality staff around the players. 

Yes but he did a shit job at his last place

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Read and listen to what players say about him and his coaching methods. Say the stuff above and much more. .

Look at his time at our club and how well we did with him as Hughes as number 2. Football isnt just about the manager but the quality staff around the players. 

Many a competent coach has turned into a dreadful manager, not least our very own Steve Kean. 

Mark Hughes' time here was over 10 years ago, and his work since is at best mixed. 

Throw into the mix the uncertainty regarding his appointment, ie a novice in management terms getting a job not that long after becoming sporting director, and after being tasked with finding a new manager, the best he can find is himself, its no wonder the reaction to his appointment has been as negative as it gets for a new manager. He wont get any time or patience because of the scenario around his appointment.

I can only see spectacular failure, that said, the more teams dysfunctioning around us, the better!

I dont personally have an opinion on Mark Bowen, just as if Mark Venus was to get a job as a manager one day I would be equally indifferent. You seem to have some sort of positive opinion on someone who I wouldnt have noticed if he never got a job again personally which is fair enough. Im just trying to take a step back and look at the situation objectively and it doesnt look good and Reading fans are raging.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Many a competent coach has turned into a dreadful manager, not least our very own Steve Kean. 

Mark Hughes' time here was over 10 years ago, and his work since is at best mixed. 

Throw into the mix the uncertainty regarding his appointment, ie a novice in management terms getting a job not that long after becoming sporting director, and after being tasked with finding a new manager, the best he can find is himself, its no wonder the reaction to his appointment has been as negative as it gets for a new manager. He wont get any time or patience because of the scenario around his appointment.

I can only see spectacular failure, that said, the more teams dysfunctioning around us, the better!

I dont personally have an opinion on Mark Bowen, just as if Mark Venus was to get a job as a manager one day I would be equally indifferent. You seem to have some sort of positive opinion on someone who I wouldnt have noticed if he never got a job again personally which is fair enough. Im just trying to take a step back and look at the situation objectively and it doesnt look good and Reading fans are raging.

true but then look at Farke and Wagner careers who went youth coaches can turn out to be good managers. But can also go the other way like Kean or Siewert.

I am fully aware when Hughes time was and it was great time for this club and He was the best manager we had since King Kenny as manager. When he left Rovers was very sad day for us. 

Well I gather you haven't listen to Bowen's interview yesterday when he said he was asked to take over as head coach by the CEO and Owners. So the decision came from them not him. 

Reading fans may well raged at the decision but Gomes was going taking down despite their spend this summer. I was surprise Gomes was appoint last time and I was expecting Phil Parkinson to take over at the time. 

I tend to keep my eye on alot of former Rovers players and coaching staff to see where they are now. 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looks like Ainsworth is going to Millwall now.

In other news Southampton's director of football , Ross Wilson, has left to join Rangers. He did a good job initially but recently they've signed some real garbage and it looks like he jumped ship before he got the black spot.

Looking at the betting it looks like it a decision between Rowett and Ainsworth now for Millwall job. 

Southampton got rid of Les Reed who bought some real talent there and it appears that since he left that they have stalled as a club and not going forward as a club as far as can see

true but then look at Farke and Wagner careers who went youth coaches can turn out to be good managers. But can also go the other way like Kean or Siewert.

I am fully aware when Hughes time was and it was great time for this club and He was the best manager we had since King Kenny as manager. When he left Rovers was very sad day for us. 

Well I gather you haven't listen to Bowen's interview yesterday when he said he was asked to take over as head coach by the CEO and Owners. So the decision came from them not him. 

Reading fans may well raged at the decision but Gomes was going taking down despite their spend this summer. I was surprise Gomes was appoint last time and I was expecting Phil Parkinson to take over at the time. 

I tend to keep my eye on alot of former Rovers players and coaching staff to see where they are now. 

No I havent but it does surprise me that he didnt come out and state that his intention was to get the managers job all along, that he has justified the supporters portrayal of him as a snake and that he only cares about himself, not the club!

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

he has justified the supporters portrayal of him as a snake and that he only cares about himself, not the club!

Did he make that decision to get rid or was it made by the CEO and Owners level. A decision like this would be made owner level at the end of the day. 

Dont get the fans love in of Gomes anyway. 

Did he make that decision to get rid or was it made by the CEO and Owners level. A decision like this would be made owner level at the end of the day. 

Dont get the fans love in of Gomes anyway. 

My point was that his quotes are worthless as he is always going to defend himself.

Gomes did well at the end of last season, but I think its more the combination of a total novice managerially getting the job of a Championship club, plus the fact that he got it on the back of himself leading the hunt for a new manager having been at the club himself for not long that has caused outrage.

I think you are more open minded as you seemingly have a soft spot for the individual.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

My point was that his quotes are worthless as he is always going to defend himself.

Gomes did well at the end of last season, but I think its more the combination of a total novice managerially getting the job of a Championship club, plus the fact that he got it on the back of himself leading the hunt for a new manager having been at the club himself for not long that has caused outrage.

I think you are more open minded as you seemingly have a soft spot for the individual.

His quotes arent worthless at all. These are on the record and dont see the club coming out to deny his comments. 

How do you know he was leading the hunt for the new head coach tho? Did the club even have a plan to replace Gomes with someone but at the end that person backed out? 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

His quotes arent worthless at all. These are on the record and dont see the club coming out to deny his comments. 

How do you know he was leading the hunt for the new head coach tho? Did the club even have a plan to replace Gomes with someone but at the end that person backed out? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50055214

"I was stunned to be offered the job as I had started the recruitment myself," Bowen told BBC Radio Berkshire.

Main point is, whether he has snaked behind peoples back or manufactured this if himself, that based solely on his lack of credentials, he is incredibly fortunate to get a Championship job and I, as the supporter of a Championship club saw my club appoint him, then I would be equally dismayed.

As I said though, its good for us hopefully as its another fellow club potentially struggling which helps us.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Wigan beating Forest at HT. Puts them within a point of us as it stands. 

Wigan no frills or nonsense about fancy systems or styles. Just very difficult to beat at home and win most of their games there.

Apparently they were certainties for the drop or so some were saying before the season started. We're subsidising Mulgrew to be there.

• Like 2

Some potential positions of peril in the Championship. Jonathan Woodgate doing a really poor job at Middlesbrough, fans whinged about the "boring" football Pulis produced, now they are getting boring football AND awful results. Cant see him lasting the season. 

Also totally unconvinced by Scott Parker with the best squad in the division at his disposal. Played a wrecklessly attacking formation yesterday and suffered defeat, they should be doing better.

Cocu at Derby seems to be really struggling too. He is obviously unable to rely on favours from big teams for players such as Mount and Wilson like Lampard could, plus hes had the disaster surrounding Lawrence and Bennett, but a penny for Wayne Rooneys thoughts from afar.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Some potential positions of peril in the Championship. Jonathan Woodgate doing a really poor job at Middlesbrough, fans whinged about the "boring" football Pulis produced, now they are getting boring football AND awful results. Cant see him lasting the season. 

Also totally unconvinced by Scott Parker with the best squad in the division at his disposal. Played a wrecklessly attacking formation yesterday and suffered defeat, they should be doing better.

Cocu at Derby seems to be really struggling too. He is obviously unable to rely on favours from big teams for players such as Mount and Wilson like Lampard could, plus hes had the disaster surrounding Lawrence and Bennett, but a penny for Wayne Rooneys thoughts from afar.

Well Gibson wanted Woodgate as manager even before the season ended last season even our CEO Steve Waggott knew he would get it. 

Derby owner Mel Morris is willing to give Cocu time and this season to adjust to the league. 

I was surprise by Parker team selection yesterday. That said I don't see him getting sack any time soon. (Now I say that he been sack by tomorrow haha)

After watching that game i thought Wigan looked more solid and organised than we have at any point recently.  It was quite an even game to be fair and i think if Forest had Graham up front he'd have snaffled one of those chances and likewise if Wigan had a Dack or someone with a bit of flair they'd have won by a few more.

Such a tight competitive division that is almost completely devoid of any real flair or quality which is why it is so frustrating and disappointing we don't seem to make the most of what we have.  We have a lot compared to quite a few now at this level yet half of them are on course to out perform us again this season on the evidence so far.

Only October though and things can change quickly but it is hard to see where a winning run is going to come from.

• Like 1

Rowett a decent appointment for Millwall. Knows the League, did a good job on a limited budget at Birmingham. First and foremost he knows how to organise teams defensively and stops them leaking goals. Might not be pretty to watch but is the foundation to success.

11 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Harrison Reed starts in centre midfield again tonight for Fulham.

And there is me thinking he is a utility, square peg round hole sort of a player?

Needs to learn his positioning like Holtby does - needs to look at how Evans and Smallwood plays. 

• Like 1