BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I know you should never be surprised in football but that surprises me. He has done exceptionally well at Nobbers and has the support of the fans and has built a decent side who are playoff contenders. Stoke has become a bit of a poisoned chalice with recent appointments.

Still money talks.................

Agree. Stoke like Sunderland before them seem to be less than the sum of their parts and massively underperforming. 

That said given he got Norwich promoted and is doing an excellent job down the road with limited resources it was inevitable someone would become interested in him. 

Also surprised they potted Jones now after recent results bar Saturday were ok. Figured if he wasn't sacked 3 or 4 games ago, that they would give him a bit longer given most of the last few games have gone ok. Perhaps it was because they have someone lined up/don't want to miss out on a target?

9 hours ago, The Axe said:

I always thought Mokoena was found not to have a valid licence after a speeding offence.

My initial recollection was that he was convicted of driving with excess alcohol  because I remember posting on here about why one earth he couldn't afford a driver with the money he must be on.

You might be more or less right though in that it could have been driving whilst disqualified having been previously banned for not having a valid licence.

I can't see much distinction between the offences, my point was that no-one back then (myself included)  wanted him sacked and I wondered if we were being a bit hypocritical when it came to our own players.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Perhaps it was because they have someone lined up/don't want to miss out on a target?

I would assume they've spent the past few weeks searching out a replacement. The timing of the sacking on a Friday is a little bit strange, but I'd be surprised if they don't have someone lined up and ready to come in by Monday.

29 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My initial recollection was that he was convicted of driving with excess alcohol  because I remember posting on here about why one earth he couldn't afford a driver with the money he must be on.

You might be more or less right though in that it could have been driving whilst disqualified having been previously banned for not having a valid licence.

I can't see much distinction between the offences, my point was that no-one back then (myself included)  wanted him sacked and I wondered if we were being a bit hypocritical when it came to our own players.

My understanding was that it was something to do with the recognition of the international validity of the licence. I think from memory Diouf had a similar problem. I do know that Mokoena hired a Manchester lad to drive for him and the lad played as a semi-professional in a league in the North-West. Mokoena started to turn up to watch him, refused a free ticket and paid at the gate like everyone.

Just now, The Axe said:

My understanding was that it was something to do with the recognition of the international validity of the licence. I think from memory Diouf had a similar problem. I do know that Mokoena hired a Manchester lad to drive for him and the lad played as a semi-professional in a league in the North-West. Mokoena started to turn up to watch him, refused a free ticket and paid at the gate like everyone.

Whatever the precise offence was I'm sure it was something where he would have known full well he should not have been driving and not an innocent mistake.

Nevertheless my point I was driving at was whether or not our attitude was slightly  one of "Sack -em!   - unless it's one of our own players!" 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I would assume they've spent the past few weeks searching out a replacement. The timing of the sacking on a Friday is a little bit strange, but I'd be surprised if they don't have someone lined up and ready to come in by Monday.

alot of people thought Barnsley had a manager line up to Stendal and they didn't 

Stoke have put caretakers in charge for Monday game. Most likely a manager in a job but will leave after Saturday game. I would be very surprise if Alex Neil does leave Preston. Preston would struggle to replace him

Money talks. I suspect Neil will have had a considerable pay rise at PNE when he signed his new deal towards the end of last season and WBA went elsewhere. Even so Stoke and the Coates family will pay if they want to and Neil ticks a lot of boxes for them. Whilst Stoke have problems I expect they are probably quite a good club to work for with investment from upstairs, local fans running the club and decent facilities and ground. Certainly a step up from Preston.

Would still be surprised if Neil took it given where he has got Preston in the table. If anything it could galvanise him and Preston further if he sticks with them in the face of interest from elsewhere.

As for Preston replacing him if he leaves I'm sure a few were saying they'd struggle when Grayson went to Sunderland after doing a good job with them. That's what happens when you have an owner and advisers who are interested in what is happening and have contingency plans in place for such things. No guarantees but they will have a shortlist in their minds just in case.

Compare to Rovers who would sit around waiting for applicants to come forward and messages to arrive from India and then hand it to someone already on the payroll because it's cheap and easy.

• Like 3

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

alot of people thought Barnsley had a manager line up to Stendal and they didn't 

Yeah, but if you remember a few weeks ago Jones basically came out in an interview after a loss and said he was done. I think it was after Huddersfield beat them. Literally everyone expected Jones to be gone after that, but he inexplicably stayed on whilst the club remained absolutely silent. I have to assume that they began their managerial search then. Jones was completely resigned to leaving at that point. It was a matter of when the trigger was pulled rather than if. Funnily enough since then results for them have actually improved a little, but I think the decision had already been made to replace Jones, so it didn't matter.

The theory was that Jones knew his time was up but they wanted Hughton and he knocked them back. 

Have to assume they've spent some time looking at alternatives and have now settled on a preferred option or even have the green light to go and get him quickly.

Hope it is Neil because the way things are going I'm going to need therapy if Burnley survive and PNE get promoted.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

The theory was that Jones knew his time was up but they wanted Hughton and he knocked them back. 

Have to assume they've spent some time looking at alternatives and have now settled on a preferred option or even have the green light to go and get him quickly.

Hope it is Neil because the way things are going I'm going to need therapy if Burnley survive and PNE get promoted.

I reckon it'll be a return for Tony Pulis. 

31 minutes ago, DE. said:

Yeah, but if you remember a few weeks ago Jones basically came out in an interview after a loss and said he was done. I think it was after Huddersfield beat them. Literally everyone expected Jones to be gone after that, but he inexplicably stayed on whilst the club remained absolutely silent. I have to assume that they began their managerial search then. Jones was completely resigned to leaving at that point. It was a matter of when the trigger was pulled rather than if. Funnily enough since then results for them have actually improved a little, but I think the decision had already been made to replace Jones, so it didn't matter.

You are spot on.

My point was more about Barnsley not having a clue who they wanted to replace Daniel Stendal. Im not sure they could do worse than The caretaker manager Adam Murray

23 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Hughton did knock them back..

Look very much like Alex Neil is their number 1 target. 

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/pne-news/preston-north-end-manager-alex-neil-a-wanted-man-once-again-as-stoke-city-show-an-interest-in-him-1-10081740/amp?__twitter_impression=true

22 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I reckon it'll be a return for Tony Pulis. 

No contact supposedly..

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Barnsley have a 21 year old centre back called Diaby just watched him.  Good I’m the air, aggressive and exactly what we need. Picked him up from Belgium league probably for a couple of bob. Even Barnsley have a much better scouting network than us 

Look fairly decent. But not the experience we need for me

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

That’s not the point I’m making. Why don’t we find these in the arse  end of Belgium or wherever?

I agree with your point about our scouting system. Mowbray is trying to put this structure in place. Dont know why we dismantled in the 1st place but guess a certain mamager didnt want it around

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I agree with your point about our scouting system. Mowbray is trying to put this structure in place. Dont know why we dismantled in the 1st place but guess a certain mamager didnt want it around

It was dismantled because the owners and their henchmen have cut back on all but essential expenditure. Hence the zombie state, skeletal staff, lack of expertise, lack of investment in infrastructure and facilities. 

In reality the manager shouldn't really have control over scouting these days. It should exist alongside the manager but continue to operate irrespective of who sits in the dugout.

The approach we have now whereby Mowbray has put it all in place as per his preferences is nothing short of ludicrous. Particularly when the time comes for a change.

Just now, JHRover said:

It was dismantled because the owners and their henchmen have cut back on all but essential expenditure. Hence the zombie state, skeletal staff, lack of expertise, lack of investment in infrastructure and facilities. 

In reality the manager shouldn't really have control over scouting these days. It should exist alongside the manager but continue to operate irrespective of who sits in the dugout.

The approach we have now whereby Mowbray has put it all in place as per his preferences is nothing short of ludicrous. Particularly when the time comes for a change.

Wasn't it Steve Kean who got rid of it? 

I agree JH on the point who should be in charge of scouting. The Scouting director or Sporting Director/director of football. 

Yes Mowbray has put in all in place with Venus and Harvey(chief Scout)

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Barnsley have a 21 year old centre back called Diaby just watched him.  Good I’m the air, aggressive and exactly what we need. Picked him up from Belgium league probably for a couple of bob. Even Barnsley have a much better scouting network than us 

I watched the game too. Diaby was the one Barnsley player I thought was awful. I watched him, mainly in the second half, and thought I'm glad we have Nyambe and not this donkey.

Funny how views differ.