BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

Looking at Stoke's recent managerial appointments they've either gone for British and experienced (Pulis, Hughes, Lambert) or up and coming (Rowett and Jones). 

In their predicament now I'd expect them to pay big to get someone with experience. I'd be surprised if McCarthy would do it given his Ireland commitments. He'd be better off focusing on that job and then weighing up his options in the summer once the Euros are over. I think their fans would go beserk if they appointed Pardew although I actually think he'd be a decent appointment for a struggling Championship side. Very experienced and a decent record at most of his clubs. O'Neill I think is finished as a manager. I think Stoke might roll the dice with him if they run out of options but I'm not even sure he'd bother taking it now. Why waste time in a Championship relegation scrap at his age with his achievements in the game?

I still think Stoke will come up with the cash to persuade Hughton to take it. Hughton won't get a Premier League job and if Stoke offer enough money I think he'd be tempted. Failing that perhaps Michael O'Neill would be tempted.

Looking down the divisions nobody really stands out as an obvious option. Ainsworth doing well but completely different game taking over a club like Stoke mid-season.

Hopefully they get it wrong and tie up one of the relegation slots and make our task easier.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Decent option but a bit of a gamble. Done very well with limited talent at international level and made them hard to beat but never done it at decent club level.

Which makes his achievements even more impressive. He got Shamrock Rovers into the group stages of the Europa league, the first time an Irish league side every qualified for the group stages of a European competition. Everywhere he has managed he has exceeded expectations, not a little bit, but massively. He may have an issue with egos etc managing a club in England, but I think appointing him would be less of a gamble than many of the names that get bandied about when a vacancy comes up at this level. 

I would have loved him here. I would have been more excited with appointing him than I would be if we appointed Hughton. 

• Like 4

Smart move for Stoke as this guy has done well in a couple of previous jobs. No experience of Championship (I think) which makes it a bit of a gamble, but his record is still pretty impressive. Not great news for Rovers though as it looks to strengthen a relegation rival. 

20 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Which makes his achievements even more impressive. He got Shamrock Rovers into the group stages of the Europa league, the first time an Irish league side every qualified for the group stages of a European competition. Everywhere he has managed he has exceeded expectations, not a little bit, but massively. He may have an issue with egos etc managing a club in England, but I think appointing him would be less of a gamble than many of the names that get bandied about when a vacancy comes up at this level. 

I would have loved him here. I would have been more excited with appointing him than I would be if we appointed Hughton. 

Fantastic appointment for Stoke, and a well earned opportunity for M O'N, to get into high level club football. Im surprised this opportunity didnt come earlier for Michael, especially after Euro 2016. Hes worked wonders at Shamrock and NI. He has a definite brand of football that will fit into the modern club game. I think the only small concern is that i hear many rumours about how fond he is of a little ''tipple'' , maybe thats what has hindered his progress into getting that club job he has always wanted. 

Ill be keeping a close eye now on all stoke results and wish him all the best.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, that could be tricky - trying to run two teams simultaneously, even if it's only temporarily.

IIRC Mark Hughes managed it when he started out at Rovers while continuing with Wales...

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, that could be tricky - trying to run two teams simultaneously, even if it's only temporarily.

I'm sure he has the right staff behind him. 

He is good manager and impressed me at international level but can he do it at Stoke and in the championship

New manager at Stoke showing good already as they cruise to a 3 1 lead on 64 minutes. How long before they pass us?

If only we had owners who had a bit of knowledge and could see what many of us have been seeing for months.

Now 4 1 on 67 minutes. My blood is at boiling point.

Edited by Cherry Blue
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

New manager at Stoke showing good already as they cruise to a 3 1 lead on 64 minutes. How long before they pass us?

If only we had owners who had a bit of knowledge and could see what many of us have been seeing for months.

Now 4 1 on 67 minutes. My blood is at boiling point.

Saturday 30th November. Around 5pm.

At the end of the table we no longer have any interest in, I would suggest Bristol City are certainties for one of the promotion slots.

To be in the play-offs when they have the injury list they have had is an astonishing achievement.

As a matter of academic record we are ten points away from 6th - this is a dramatically worse season for us than last season was.

Edited by philipl

Piece on Preston in today’s Times.

Their starting 11 on Saturday cost less than £1.5million, their playing budget is in the bottom 5 of the league.

Shows what is possible, they are actual underdogs, ‘little old *enter club here*’ fits them, not a club like us that is pissing counting millions up the wall for ever diminishing returns.

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, philipl said:

At the end of the table we no longer have any interest in, I would suggest Bristol City are certainties for one of the promotion slots.

To be in the play-offs when they have the injury list they have had is an astonishing achievement.

Aren't injuries what the manager and three-quarters of our fans are blaming our woes on? Maybe they should try and get a word with Johnson and find out what the secret to his success is. Couldn't be anything as simple as having decent backup players and a solid, consistent style that the entire squad is comfortable with.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Piece on Preston in today’s Times.

Their starting 11 on Saturday cost less than £1.5million, their playing budget is in the bottom 5 of the league.

Shows what is possible, they are actual underdogs, ‘little old *enter club here*’ fits them, not a club like us that is pissing counting millions up the wall for ever diminishing returns.

If Venky's had anything about them they would be hauling Waggott and Mowbray to India during the international break and grilling them on what the hell is going on. Of course you and I both know they don't care enough about the club to probably even know where we are in the table, let alone be worried about results, but being so far behind the likes of Preston is embarrassing to say the least.

• Like 5