BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

10 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Can see Boro losing this game and then sacking Woodgate ....I wonder will they try for Mowbray ???

Don't see Woodgate getting sack. They need signings and key players back from injury. 6 key players out. Young manager there. Allow him the time to build the club and squad up the way Gibson want in the summer. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, K-Hod said:

Not many mate, Assombalonga and a couple in defence. Howson and Clayton are decent, but nowt more.

Assombalonga. McNair and Lewis Wing in centre midfield. Ayala and Friend in defence. Randolph keeper. 

Plus some good young players coming through like Spence and Pears

Like a few of us said at the time, O’Neill, like Chris Coleman, whose reputation had soared with Wales took the Sunderland gig, was mad to take this job.

Clubs in these tailspins, with overpaid, demotivated mercenaries stinking out the place are almost impossible to turn around in the short term.

Still, suppose it pays well...

Edited by Mattyblue

8 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

'Boro were awful until they woke up with half an hour to go, but that's all they needed. They were lucky, though, as Stoke should have had a penalty after going one up. VAR = justice.

A bad Ref decision made worse by the booking.

The commentators were spot on. If the Ref actually saw the incident then it was a penalty. The booking was just guesswork.

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Like a few of us said at the time, O’Neill, like Chris Coleman, whose reputation had soared with Wales took the Sunderland gig, was mad to take this job.

Clubs in these tailspins, with overpaid, demotivated mercenaries stinking out the place are almost impossible to turn around in the short term.

Still, suppose it pays well...

Agree. The parallels with Sunderland are stark. Both have tried a number of managers and it doesn't seem to be working. It's almost as if they need to get the vast majority of the players out and start again. Even then success is far from.guarenteed. 

I'd be very worried as a Stoke fan as Boro are a pretty bad team. Not being able.to beat them and you wonder where they will pick points up from. 

Just now, DE. said:

I still think Stoke will end up climbing above Luton, and it'll end up being between them and Wigan for the final relegation place.

Read an article on BBC about Luton and was really impressed by how they do things. Determined not to get into masses of debt, have a league 2 budget yet are determined to have the highest standards possible. I hope they stay up and show it is possible. Suspect they may go down but think Wigan are in a far worse run than Luton so more likely to be between Luton and Stoke imo.

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Don't see Woodgate getting sack. They need signings and key players back from injury. 6 key players out. Young manager there. Allow him the time to build the club and squad up the way Gibson want in the summer. 

I bet on Stoke last night purely because of Woodgate. Really don't know what Gibson was thinking.

A couple of Forest fans were talking on Twitter about how they would "sign Dack". I've asked them a couple of questions about that.

• Backroom
59 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Read an article on BBC about Luton and was really impressed by how they do things. Determined not to get into masses of debt, have a league 2 budget yet are determined to have the highest standards possible. I hope they stay up and show it is possible. Suspect they may go down but think Wigan are in a far worse run than Luton so more likely to be between Luton and Stoke imo.

Yeah, even if Luton go down they should be in a strong position to mount another promotion push. It would be a great story if they did stay up but much like Burton Albion even if they do it's probably only prolonging the inevitable. Nonetheless I have a sneaky feeling Stoke will find a way to survive this season - but regardless of whether they stay up or go down they need a massive clearout and to essentially start from scratch. Easier said than done though as I imagine plenty of those players are on decent wages that nobody else will be willing to pay.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

I bet on Stoke last night purely because of Woodgate. Really don't know what Gibson was thinking.

Well like Gibson has said and done, he has cut back the budget and not willing to invest at the levels he did under Pulis and Monk. He wants to used the academy players and bring them through. If you look at the match day squad last night, they was 10 players that came through the academy and in the starting team was 6. 

Woodgate knew these academy players coming through and he said he would give them a chance. So I guess that one of main reasons he got the job. 

I think Stoke squad need a shake up again. O'Neill said last night his squad is overload in certain areas and hasn't got enough wide players he wants. I believe they have 37 players there with first team experience. So if that's the case they need at least 13 to 14 players out the door in January. I believe N'diaye is on way to a club to Turkey to complete a move there

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I still think Stoke will end up climbing above Luton, and it'll end up being between them and Wigan for the final relegation place.

I feel that Wigan will go. and then 2 clubs from Luton, Charlton and Barnsley for the 3 places to go down 

Just now, Vinjay said:

Well so what if he's cut the budget? Hire someone else. Woodgate's an idiot. There's no debating that.

very easy saying that Vinjay. But I knew in April that Pulis was walking away from Boro and Woodgate was getting the job. Even Waggott knew Woodgate was getting the job at the start of May even before Pulis had left. 

why Woodgate an idiot?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The budget certainly hasnt been cut enough to justify dropping 11 places, they lost Downing who couldnt start games any more due to a contractual clause, they sold Flint who was shocking and they lost Mikel who wasnt there very long

But you haven't included in your list the loan players that went back at the end of season who was massive wages Like Hugull, Besic, Van La Parra aswell. that's like 100k in wages just there. plus players like Baath and McQueen who was on loan during last season. 

Also they have 6 1st team players out injured at the minute. 

Plus their 3 summer signings were 22/23 years old who was cheap signings and will improve as time goes on. 

Also cutbacks will happen in the summer when players are out of contract like Howson, Friend, Ayala, Shotton, Gestede to leave. That's another 100k plus saving there

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

very easy saying that Vinjay. But I knew in April that Pulis was walking away from Boro and Woodgate was getting the job. Even Waggott knew Woodgate was getting the job at the start of May even before Pulis had left. 

why Woodgate an idiot?

But you haven't included in your list the loan players that went back at the end of season who was massive wages Like Hugull, Besic, Van La Parra aswell. that's like 100k in wages just there. plus players like Baath and McQueen who was on loan during last season. 

Also they have 6 1st team players out injured at the minute. 

Plus their 3 summer signings were 22/23 years old who was cheap signings and will improve as time goes on. 

Also cutbacks will happen in the summer when players are out of contract like Howson, Friend, Ayala, Shotton, Gestede to leave. That's another 100k plus saving there

Them players werent particularly big losses though so its hardly dealing with difficult circumstances.

I found it a strange appointment based solely on sentiment, a novice who is local and a former player, and nothing that has happened since has changed my mind on the subject. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Them players werent particularly big losses though so its hardly dealing with difficult circumstances.

I found it a strange appointment based solely on sentiment, a novice who is local and a former player, and nothing that has happened since has changed my mind on the subject. 

which players? Hugill, Besic and Van La Parra?

Hugill played 37 games and Besic played 37 games. 

Pulis recommendation Woodgate for the job there aswell. Seemed a sensible appointment to me if the policy was to bring through the academy players, cut the wage budget and look for cheap signings. Which at the minute it does look like