BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

disagree

Raya is better shot stopper but Walton kicking, claiming crosses and handling is better than Raya. 

As Mowbray has told the press he didn't get his 1st choices in the summer and in the end he ended up going for Walton who hasn't brilliant and not as bad as you make it out. Very easy for fans to discuss transfers but tbh we don't really know why those deals for foreign keepers happened. We know why Darlow deal didn't happen. 

It doesnt really matter and thus I have very little interest in who Mowbray perhaps bid for, who he was interested in, who he was linked with or how realistic or unrealistic these ultimately unattainable targets are. We can only judge a manager on the signings he actually made.

I am not sure on kicking and footwork, it was strange with Raya in regards that he could sometimes use his kicking as an attacking weapon, we scored v Wigan last season from a Raya kick and he could volley passes out that set up dangerous counter attacks, something Walton cannot do. Equally, when Raya didnt get his kick right he often sliced kicks out of play, something Walton does far less. Waltons kicking is not particularly accurate, if you watch his kicks often are quite aimless and often towards the smallest of our attackers, but there are far less frustrating mis hits so I think maybe he gets away with that.

Walton has also made a few errors in regards to handling and claiming crosses, notably v Preston but also v Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday, as well as basic handling and/or shot stopping errors v Huddersfield and Barnsley. They dont always lead to goals either, I recall for example one v Boro when Walton totally misjudged a cross but they hit the post with an open net gaping. His overall judgement of crosses is quite poor but aside from the Stoke away error they seem more errors of judgement rather than what I found to be Raya often being physically found wanting ie v Rotherham last year.

I think Walton has made a considerable amount of errors and overall taking into account that hes only on loan we have gone backwards in net. I do however think we seem to be better as a team in terms of protecting our keeper but I would love us to sign a new number 1 in January, not "depth" ie someone not even as good as Walton.

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its doesnt really matter and thus I have very little interest in who Mowbray perhaps bid for, who he was interested in, who he was linked with or how realistic or unrealistic these ultimately unattainable targets are. We can only judge a manager on the signings he actually made.

Really? That's not what I remember last summer. I remember a number of times you flipping your head at link after link. (Not on this forum btw.) Have you forgotten that? 

I'm interested in who this overseas keeper was we were close to signing. Guess we find out in the fans meeting

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would love us to sign a new number 1 in January, not "depth" ie someone not even as good as Walton.

Have to seen who available and do they want to come here. 

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It doesnt really matter and thus I have very little interest in who Mowbray perhaps bid for, who he was interested in, who he was linked with or how realistic or unrealistic these ultimately unattainable targets are. We can only judge a manager on the signings he actually made.

I am not sure on kicking and footwork, it was strange with Raya in regards that he could sometimes use his kicking as an attacking weapon, we scored v Wigan last season from a Raya kick and he could volley passes out that set up dangerous counter attacks, something Walton cannot do. Equally, when Raya didnt get his kick right he often sliced kicks out of play, something Walton does far less. Waltons kicking is not particularly accurate, if you watch his kicks often are quite aimless and often towards the smallest of our attackers, but there are far less frustrating mis hits so I think maybe he gets away with that.

Walton has also made a few errors in regards to handling and claiming crosses, notably v Preston but also v Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday, as well as basic handling and/or shot stopping errors v Huddersfield and Barnsley. They dont always lead to goals either, I recall for example one v Boro when Walton totally misjudged a cross but they hit the post with an open net gaping. His overall judgement of crosses is quite poor but aside from the Stoke away error they seem more errors of judgement rather than what I found to be Raya often being physically found wanting ie v Rotherham last year.

I think Walton has made a considerable amount of errors and overall taking into account that hes only on loan we have gone backwards in net. I do however think we seem to be better as a team in terms of protecting our keeper but I would love us to sign a new number 1 in January, not "depth" ie someone not even as good as Walton.

I agree about the kick-offs, Raya was improving on that front and sometimes was exceptional. I don't think Waltons clearances are anything  to write home about.

This is what I mean, the general quality is quite poor in this league, this game has been as laborious as the Cardiff PNE game, and when you consider that all 4 are top half teams hoping for a play off place, it just shows that the top 6 is there for us if we go for it.

As an aside, a player I would love for us to enquire for is Niclas Eliasson at Bristol City if it was possible. A natural wide man, full of pace, gets chalk on his boots and a stream of assists. Often a sub due to the formation they play.

Good to see Rhodes starting games again and enjoying his football. Impossible not to think positively about him after the goals he scored for us.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

This is what I mean, the general quality is quite poor in this league, this game has been as laborious as the Cardiff PNE game, and when you consider that all 4 are top half teams hoping for a play off place, it just shows that the top 6 is there for us if we go for it.

As an aside, a player I would love for us to enquire for is Niclas Eliasson at Bristol City if it was possible. A natural wide man, full of pace, gets chalk on his boots and a stream of assists. Often a sub due to the formation they play.

Good to see Rhodes starting games again and enjoying his football. Impossible not to think positively about him after the goals he scored for us.

Sheffield Wednesday missing Fletcher. 

Bristol City looking tired. 

Both teams need freshening up their starting 11. 

I've turned over to watch PL build up. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Didn't realise that Bristol City paid £3.5m for Kasey Palmer. That's a lot to pay for a bench-warmer (I sense a reply with reference to Brereton incoming!). Lee Johnson's latest comments about him didn't sound to complimentary, either.

Never a fan of him. 

Tho I don't rate Lee Johnson as a manager either

10 hours ago, Husky said:

Bristol City's online fans were in meltdown after they lost to us.

To summarise 'they wanted the useless dwarf sacking'.

I daren't look again.

When I looked they were all going nuts about our physio more than anything else. Thought it was completely OTT, not like they were going to score. We won because of our physio apparently ?

Whenever you get managers hiding behind a 'long-term project' (or just as bad, if they talk about needing time to implement their 'philosophy') when doing poorly then you may as well get rid right now.

Derby were dreadful at Ewood a few weeks ago and by the sounds of it have got even worse since, so given they've been one of the better Championship teams over the last few years you'd have to think he'd be on thin ice....

• Like 2