BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wouldnt show anything up at all but understand why you have that opinion. 

It would raise a big question as to why we have replaced one dodgy goalkeeper with one who is, if anything, even worse. 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It would raise a big question as to why we have replaced one dodgy goalkeeper with one who is, if anything, even worse. 

This has been explained several times by Mowbray, why Raya went, who we targeted to come in and how we end up with Walton. Did you miss it? 

Here the link

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18061508.mowbray-explains-rovers-keeper-search-raya-exit/

Edited by chaddyrovers

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

This has been explained several times by Mowbray, why Raya went, who we targeted to come in and how we end up with Walton. Did you miss it? 

Here the link

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18061508.mowbray-explains-rovers-keeper-search-raya-exit/

I'm afraid that interview doesn't paint us in a good light and raises serious questions about our recruitment process.

Your goalkeeper is part of the spine of the team. You build from there and set out with the expectation that your Number 1 is going to play every minute of a season. 

If a decision was made to cash in on Raya due to financial reasons or the manager not really liking him then that is part of life. So far that has been shown to be a mistake as Brentford are going for promotion and Raya is performing very well for them. 

But when a decision is made to sell then you ensure a competent PERMANENT replacement is ready and waiting to come in. You don't allow him to go, leaving just Leutwiler behind who the manager has never played, and then start trying to find a replacement. Then to start bemoaning that your targets changed their minds and went elsewhere leaving us with Walton on loan for the year just isnt acceptable.

Keeper and central defence are cornerstones of a team. You have to get those right and then build on those. Mowbray/Rovers attitude to those positions and recruitment of them has been appalling.

Where has the Raya money gone? Will we be signing a keeper in January like Mowbray said we would?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here the link

Is that the same Mowbray talking there who has previously talked about how it can be difficult to sign players as clubs won't let them go until they have replacements sorted? Only if it is he has gone and done the complete opposite.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm afraid that interview doesn't paint us in a good light and raises serious questions about our recruitment process.

Your goalkeeper is part of the spine of the team. You build from there and set out with the expectation that your Number 1 is going to play every minute of a season. 

If a decision was made to cash in on Raya due to financial reasons or the manager not really liking him then that is part of life. So far that has been shown to be a mistake as Brentford are going for promotion and Raya is performing very well for them. 

But when a decision is made to sell then you ensure a competent PERMANENT replacement is ready and waiting to come in. You don't allow him to go, leaving just Leutwiler behind who the manager has never played, and then start trying to find a replacement. Then to start bemoaning that your targets changed their minds and went elsewhere leaving us with Walton on loan for the year just isnt acceptable.

Keeper and central defence are cornerstones of a team. You have to get those right and then build on those. Mowbray/Rovers attitude to those positions and recruitment of them has been appalling.

Where has the Raya money gone? Will we be signing a keeper in January like Mowbray said we would?

Raya wanted to leave as he said in his own interview. Raya was pushing for the Brentford move all summer. 

I imagine we thought we had them in the bag when Raya was let go. 

I expect a foreign keeper to be our number 1 next season 

I agree we should have focus on signing defenders more when we came up like replacing Mulgrew long term

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Raya wanted to leave as he said in his own interview. Raya was pushing for the Brentford move all summer. 

Not good enough. With what is at stake you have to have it sorted before allowing departures. 

Why would Raya push to leave? Did he think Brentford were/are a better prospect than us? If so why?

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect a foreign keeper to be our number 1 next season 

I agree we should have focus on signing defenders more when we came up like replacing Mulgrew long term

Mowbray in June said 'You want to strengthen before you lose any players and other clubs are saying the same.' Yet one month later he let Raya go before he had strengthened, very poor management.  

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17732435.mowbray-rovers-stand-terms-transfer-deals/

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not good enough. With what is at stake you have to have it sorted before allowing departures. 

Why would Raya push to leave? Did he think Brentford were/are a better prospect than us? If so why?

Here is the Raya interview where he explains his reasons for leaving to Rich Sharpe

https://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/18059649.david-raya-interview-opens-reasons-rovers-exit/

“I think it was the right time for me to move on to a new challenge in my career and my life and it was the decision I made.

“I always had a good relationship with the gaffer.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here the link

Dont think for many, his excuses and reasons why supposed (and unnamed) targets didnt sign make any difference. A manager is judged on who he does sign, and the keeper he did sign is a downgrade on one who was fairly error prone himself, not players he wanted that didnt come. If you sell a talented but at times error prone goalkeeper and loan one of a similar age with slighly less talent and possibly an extra error or 2 thrown in, no matter what happened between them 2 transactions, the manager doesnt come out in a favourable light.

If Mowbray was telling the truth on us having a similar budget last summer to the one before, then surely the Raya proceeds for a sale done after the Gallagher purchase should be waiting to spend right now?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont think for many, his excuses and reasons why supposed (and unnamed) targets didnt sign make any difference. A manager is judged on who he does sign, and the keeper he did sign is a downgrade on one who was fairly error prone himself, not players he wanted that didnt come. If you sell a talented but at times error prone goalkeeper and loan one of a similar age with slighly less talent and possibly an extra error or 2 thrown in, no matter what happened between them 2 transactions, the manager doesnt come out in a favourable light.

If Mowbray was telling the truth on us having a similar budget last summer to the one before, then surely the Raya proceeds for a sale done after the Gallagher purchase should be waiting to spend right now?

Well I dont agree that Walton is a downgrade on Raya. So that's a difference of opinions. Raya has made mistakes this season. 

That last question is a question for Waggott and Mowbray. Without seeing the books how would any of us know. 

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well I dont agree that Walton is a downgrade on Raya. So that's a difference of opinions. Raya has made mistakes this season. 

That last question is a question for Waggott and Mowbray. Without seeing the books how would any of us know. 

Yet the team Raya plays for is well above the team he left. It’s a funny old game....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Walton has been directly responsible for a fair few goals, 2 at Forest, 1 at home to Huddersfield, 1 at PNE, 1 v Sheffield Wednesday, a shocker v Barnsley, 1 away at Stoke, I doubt Raya has made that many mistakes considering Brentford as a team have only conceded 21. I dont recall any performances that Walton has put in where he was outstanding like Raya was at Ewood either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Yet the team Raya plays for is well above the team he left. It’s a funny old game....

9 clean sheets for Raya and 8 clean sheets for Walton. Rovers lack a proper leader in defence where Brentford have one in Jansson, someone who I wanted here. Plus I would have their left back Rico Henry in a flash. Another player I suggested we should have gone for. 

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You seem to?

You know how much we pay managers, players, how much we have to spend etc.

well if you look at the article I quoted by Nick Harris on Kean's contract he signed which including his Championship wages plus pay offs made to certain managers which are public domain, you can make an education guess or is that not allow? 

Berg was paid 2.25 million as he was 57 days into a 3 year contract 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Walton has been directly responsible for a fair few goals, 2 at Forest, 1 at home to Huddersfield, 1 at PNE, 1 v Sheffield Wednesday, a shocker v Barnsley, 1 away at Stoke, I doubt Raya has made that many mistakes considering Brentford as a team have only conceded 21. I dont recall any performances that Walton has put in where he was outstanding like Raya was at Ewood either.

I thought he was very good against Wigan and Hull away are 2 that come to mind

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm staggered you rate Walton so highly.  Undoubtedly the worst regular first choice 'keeper I've seen in the best part of 60 years - only Barton and Butcher run him close and I must admit that I rated them far more highly than Walton - fortunately he'll be back at Brighton in the summer.  As you say it's all about opinions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I'm staggered you rate Walton so highly.  Undoubtedly the worst regular first choice 'keeper I've seen in the best part of 60 years - only Barton and Butcher run him close and I must admit that I rated them far more highly than Walton - fortunately he'll be back at Brighton in the summer.  As you say it's all about opinions.

I rated Walton has a good championship keeper. Someone mentioned to me yesterday about an article in a national newspaper saying how highly rated Walton is and he will be top class keeper. 

I would say he is better than Steele, Fettis, Kean to name a few

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s better than Steele, surely?

3rd choice at Brighton and not playing even for the under 23's

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Brighton obviously don't think so.

Not really.

PL club’s just bring in cheap English 3rd choice keepers to fulfil the ‘home grown’ squad quota. No chance of a game, whereas clubs want their younger keepers out on loan playing somewhere.

See Lee Grant at Man Utd and Andy Lonergan at Liverpool.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4