BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

32 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I agree with this, such a poor appointment, which in my opinion was a really lazy appointment, "Hughes was a great ex player and it worked so it probably will with Ince".

At least Williams and the club acted fairly quickly though, if that appointment had happened under Venkys it would have been March before we would have looked to get rid of him, if at all.

Fans never took to him. I never would. Hated him as a player. 

I thought Williams and Rovers board were too slow to act. Wasnt it Rovers trustes and Vice Chairman David Brown who force Williams and Finn hand to sack? 

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I spoke to John Williams about it a few years ago.

He said it was an ‘emotional appointment’ as Jack was a big fan of his as a player. 

Ince?

It was wrong from day 1. Fans never took to him. Someone like Laudrup or Advocaat should have been appointed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fans never took to him. I never would. Hated him as a player. 

I thought Williams and Rovers board were too slow to act. Wasnt it Rovers trustes and Vice Chairman David Brown who force Williams and Finn hand to sack? 

Ince?

It was wrong from day 1. Fans never took to him. Someone like Laudrup or Advocaat should have been appointed. 

Yet Coyle and RM get loads of time from you and you regularly say managers should get the season/longer. Double standards perhaps? 

Ince was a disaster but had 2 prior successes on his managerial record. Can't remember the last manager who had 2 previous successes being appointed under Venkys. Perhaps Lambert multiple promotions with Norwich. Aside from that where's the multiple successes? 

(My point is not that Ince is good. Quite the opposite. But if there's duff managers with a couple of successes under their belts it makes you wonder why we shop in the one hit wonder manager brigade at best.) 

51 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Yet Coyle and RM get loads of time from you and you regularly say managers should get the season/longer. Double standards perhaps? 

Ince was a disaster but had 2 prior successes on his managerial record. Can't remember the last manager who had 2 previous successes being appointed under Venkys. Perhaps Lambert multiple promotions with Norwich. Aside from that where's the multiple successes? 

(My point is not that Ince is good. Quite the opposite. But if there's duff managers with a couple of successes under their belts it makes you wonder why we shop in the one hit wonder manager brigade at best.) 

RM? you mean Tony Mowbray? 

I didn't want Coyle here. who would? he looked ridiculous on the touchline in his shorts. Would have been better in a clown outfit. His recruitment was poor and just wrong. 

I didn't want Ince anywhere near our club. His attitude was like he was too good for our club and we should be grateful we got him. When Hughes went to Man City, I want Shearer to replace him. Or Michael Laudrup who I watched in Spanish football managing Getafe for 2 seasons. Dick Advocaat was another who I would have like here. 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ince suffered from lots of poor decisions by himself. Poor choices of coaching staff like Ray Mathias or Archie Know or Nigel Winterburn. Poor signings like Grella, Andrews or Fowler. His attitude towards everything thinking he was a big cheese here. He wasnt. Fans never took to him. 

John Williams made a massive mistake in appoint him at the time we did. 

Ince had far too much ego. He was never well liked as a player. Not many of his former teammates are full of praise for him. Mathias was awful. He had no business being part of a premier league team's coaching set up. I'll never forget an interview he did from his car after Ince was binned. He sounded like a Sunday league boss.

As to Robinson, I thought that the signing was a bit of a coup. England goalkeeper coming to Rovers. Friedel didn't have long left, I expected Robinson to last 10 years. He didn't though.

Edited by speeeeeeedie
half a sentence missing.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

RM? you mean Tony Mowbray? 

I didn't want Coyle here. who would? he looked ridiculous on the touchline in his shorts. Would have been better in a clown outfit. His recruitment was poor and just wrong. 

I didn't want Ince anywhere near our club. His attitude was like he was too good for our club and we should be grateful we got him. When Hughes went to Man City, I want Shearer to replace him. Or Michael Laudrup who I watched in Spanish football managing Getafe for 2 seasons. Dick Advocaat was another who I would have like here. 

Don't disagree on Ince and yep typo for TM. Am sure you were advocating to give Coyle more time and TM has been on runs worse than Ince and yet is still a firm favourite. Just seems a bit inconsistent. 

Shearer has very little managerial experience and would be even riskier than Ince. Can't see how that could be a good move. I'd have gone Laudrup too. 

46 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Don't disagree on Ince and yep typo for TM. Am sure you were advocating to give Coyle more time and TM has been on runs worse than Ince and yet is still a firm favourite. Just seems a bit inconsistent. 

Shearer has very little managerial experience and would be even riskier than Ince. Can't see how that could be a good move. I'd have gone Laudrup too. 

I think I said I wanted a proper plan in place so when we sack Coyle we didnt end up with another dud. 

Thats what I always said before sacking a manager and plan in place so you know the people you want or want to interview and not have another shambles like before will Shaw, Shebby and Agnew affair. 

Laudrup would be good but we never know

Remember Ince’s first press conference? Muttering and stuttering, shuffling in his chair. Cracking jokes about us being in the “bottom three” (how prophetic). You could see the moment Williams realised he’d been done up like a kipper.

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Ince bundling Friedel our the door was the only evidence we needed that the guy didn’t have a clue. Should’ve sacked the idiot then and there.

I thought that Friedel and Ince didn't get on (see eye to eye) when they both played for Liverpool and, as soon as Ince was appointed manager, it was Friedel who insisted on leaving. Maybe the investment failure was a smoke screen for the real reason.

37 minutes ago, bazza said:

I thought that Friedel and Ince didn't get on (see eye to eye) when they both played for Liverpool and, as soon as Ince was appointed manager, it was Friedel who insisted on leaving. Maybe the investment failure was a smoke screen for the real reason.

Maybe, but in fairness Brad did go bankrupt, and he did basically double his wages to 50k a week if I recall. I think this case is more easily explained by the usual story.

I seem to recall a big push in the national press to get Ince the job here with mild undertones of racism in football management. I was always of the opinion it was this that pressured William's into appointing Ince, especially as Michael Laudrup had been interviewed too.

23 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I seem to recall a big push in the national press to get Ince the job here with mild undertones of racism in football management. I was always of the opinion it was this that pressured William's into appointing Ince, especially as Michael Laudrup had been interviewed too.

Don't forget our favourite journo Oliver Holt insinuating that Ince's dismissal was racially motivated. Yes, the first PL club to hire a black Englishman were racist for sacking him. 

Liberal logic 101

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Perhaps that was partly to blame but I feel Williams was more concerned with keeping costs down, hoping to repeat the trick he pulled with Hughes in unearthing a young up and coming manager rather than what we needed which was a ready made experienced gaffer who could build on Hughes' work. The obvious one was Allardyce but many fans were bizarrely against him yet in favour of a 4th division manager in Ince. Beyond Allardyce there were a host of big name European managers who were interested. Advocaat and Laudrup two of those who were public in their interest.

Ince was an easier option and Williams was quite restrained in his ambitions, probably because a Laudrup would have expected backing that we weren't prepared to offer.

Sadly the modus operandi at this club has for a long time been to go down the 'up and coming' route of gambling everything in the hope it works out rather than pushing the boat out a bit more and bringing in a big name manager. Kidd, Hughes, Ince, Kean, Berg, Appleton all into this category with only Hughes working out.

Even today we have folk strongly against the prospect of a Hughton or McCarthy, proven top managers at this level, yet keen on Johnson who has never managed yet is 'up and coming' and 'one of ours'.

JHRover said:

"Even today we have folk strongly against the prospect of a Hughton or McCarthy, proven top managers at this level, yet keen on Johnson who has never managed yet is 'up and coming' and 'one of ours'."

I haven't seen that so much as an acceptance that that is the way Venkys are likely to go. They just do not seem to sign well-established managers like Hughton (though I suppose TM is one!). Would Johnno be better than Mowbray? No-one knows but its often got to the point where I, for one, don't feel things could get worse.

If that Sheff Wednesday game proves to be a turning point then the speculation will be irrelevant but if this is another false dawn i would prefer to see Johnno given the job rather than than keep banging our heads against the wall.

The fact that he is "one of ours'" is a positive surely? He knows the set-up, must have mused on what needs to improve and has a really good knowledge of the squad.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2020 at 18:56, roversfan99 said:

Screenshot_20200125-185451_Twitter.jpg

Spoke with a Bradford fan at the weekend and it seems that all his weaknesses from Rovers remain. 

Rotating the team when it doesn't need to be, (remember Brown for Gestede?) 

Giving the opposition too much respect. 

Centre mids who can't / won't cross the half way line. 

A centre mid who is in the team regardless of being dire. 

Defensive post match interviews. 

That Bradford fans are so fed up despite being in the playoffs shows he really isn't going down well in Bradford whatsoever. 

• Like 1

I still really respect GB for lifting some of the gloom from what was the darkest part of our darkest period, and really felt for him when he was sacked. But having seen what some of the players we had during his tenure have gone on to do, it's difficult not to admit that he is tactically limited. Quite surprised that it's still being exposed at such a low level though. 

Hope he turns it around, as I still think he did much much more good here than bad. 

• Like 2