BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

58 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Not me John, I'm as self deprecating as the next guy.

However I do worry where you've been for the last 10 years if you don't think that happens at BRFC. Remember MG Road? Sergei the Meercat? Pretty sure there are more I've forgotten.

I do remember them, and miss their contributions, which often had a subtle wit. But neither of them made any bones about their provenance; indeed, didn’t we all refuse to believe MG Road’s claim to work in Venky Towers?

The last ten years on here have shown me, for one, that the opinions of the 20-30 prolific posters are as fixed as Mount Rushmore, irrespective of which new posters wander inadvertently into the echo chamber!

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He still didnt need to stockpile shite players like he has. Honeyman works hard but lacks any real ability.

You named 6 players who have mostly be free transfers and likely hood low wages aswell. 

Would love to know who you have signed on a free transfers for 2 strikers he signed. any suggestions?

40 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Magnennis is stealing a living.

Shocking striker...and whisper it but he was once recommended as a signing here by the one who is never wrong.....mind you it's a bloody long list...oh and he wanted us to sign Eaves as well

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, McCann has signed some right shite for Hull. Magennis, Samuelsen, Wilks, Honeyman, Eaves, Elder etc.

Ya, I had a look at their starting 11 today. Not good. Samuelson starting 

Jesus I just checked the league table. I thought they just wrote the season off by selling their best players because they were relatively safe from relegation. They are right in the thick of it. Their supporters must be incensed. They have made a right mess there. Grosicki and Bowen are serious quality for a team like that to lose. It's hard to imagine a team in the division that would miss 2 players more. I don't know the figures, but I would say those 2 were involved in half theirs goals either scoring or assisting, at least. A right load of plodders there now. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I had a look at their starting 11 today. Not good. Samuelson starting 

Jesus I just checked the league table. I thought they just wrote the season off by selling their best players because they were relatively safe from relegation. They are right in the thick of it. Their supporters must be incensed. They have made a right mess there. Grosicki and Bowen are serious quality for a team like that to lose. It's hard to imagine a team in the division that would miss 2 players more. I don't know the figures, but I would say those 2 were involved in half theirs goals either scoring or assisting, at least. A right load of plodders there now. 

Can only assume they were desperate for money. It would be like us selling Dack and Travis with no reinvestment. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

Can only assume they were desperate for money. It would be like us selling Dack and Travis with no reinvestment. 

Didn't we do exactly what Hull have done with Rhodes, Gestede and Cairney and subsequent relegation?

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, JHRover said:

Didn't we do exactly what Hull have done with Rhodes, Gestede and Cairney and subsequent relegation?

Come on now. We reinvested by bringing in stars like Browny, Delfouneso, Fode Koita... actually, never mind. Yes we did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

well no we didn't do what Hull. 

We lost Gestede and Cairney in the summer and then Rhodes in January after Lambert decided to sell him and bring in Graham. We stay up that season. 

then we sold Hanley and Duffy the summer after and Marshall in January. We went down but Coyle had a decent budget and we all know what he did with that budget. 

Hull sold their best 2 players on the last day of window and didn't bring in replacements of decent enough quality

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We went down but Coyle had a decent budget and we all know what he did with that budget. 

He signed a lot of players but I don't think he had a decent budget did he? Wasn't it more a stitching a side together on the cheap?

4 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I do remember them, and miss their contributions, which often had a subtle wit. But neither of them made any bones about their provenance; indeed, didn’t we all refuse to believe MG Road’s claim to work in Venky Towers?

The last ten years on here have shown me, for one, that the opinions of the 20-30 prolific posters are as fixed as Mount Rushmore, irrespective of which new posters wander inadvertently into the echo chamber!

When I first joined I was constantly accused of being a Venky plant ? I can't remember who the main accuser was, but it was as funny as it was offensive!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

He signed a lot of players but I don't think he had a decent budget did he? Wasn't it more a stitching a side together on the cheap?

He signed or blooded a sizeable amount of our promotion side and our future marquee signing ? Gallagher.

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well no we didn't do what Hull. 

We lost Gestede and Cairney in the summer and then Rhodes in January after Lambert decided to sell him and bring in Graham. We stay up that season. 

then we sold Hanley and Duffy the summer after and Marshall in January. We went down but Coyle had a decent budget and we all know what he did with that budget. 

Hull sold their best 2 players on the last day of window and didn't bring in replacements of decent enough quality

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Think 47er has this right. Coyle had a terrible deal budget wise. No way did Coyle have a good budget - they were all frees, loans and Williams. Incoming ,£10 mill plus, and he spent £250k on fees. 

Coyle was useless and got many of his transfers wrong but let's not pretend he has had a decent budget. He had a terrible one. He's an appalling manager and still dropped some clangers in the transfer market (Stokes for one) but with regards to budget he had a bum deal. TM has had a lavish budget in comparison. TM spent more on fees in League 1 then Coyle spent. (Mentioned for purposes solely of budget comparison.) 

Both Bowyer at the end of his reign and Coyle got terrible deals in the budget department, to the point where I would say they were shafted. This imo is separate to their quality as a manager which is a different matter altogether. We don't need revisonism to paint Coyle as a bad manager he can do that himself. His only mitigating circumstance was that he had a poor budget. He still manager to make things a lot worse mind with how he used it and his tactics. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

What sort of money involved though? I honestly can't remember.

Naff all. Dack cost 3 times the outlay on transfer fees that were spent the year before. Talk about handicapping yourself. Between that and appointing Clueless with hindsight we were certs for relegation. 

I imagine Graham and Mulgrew were on a fair wedge with good signing on fees, although I doubt either was at the top end of the championship wage or signing on level, at but for the rest they were a rag tag lot who cost next to nothing. 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Naff all. Dack cost 3 times the outlay on transfer fees that were spent the year before. Talk about handicapping yourself. Between that and appointing Clueless with hindsight we were certs for relegation. 

I imagine Graham and Mulgrew were on a fair wedge with good signing on fees, although I doubt either was at the top end of the championship wage or signing on level, at but for the rest they were a rag tag lot who cost next to nothing. 

Graham was signed by Lambert (initially on loan) after Rhodes was sold, if I recall correctly? Don't think he was a Coyle signing (although I guess you could argue Coyle made him permanent, but I'm guessing that was essentially already agreed). Mulgrew definitely was though. 

Edited by DE.

Just now, DE. said:

Graham was signed by Lambert after Rhodes was sold, if I recall correctly? Don't think he was a Coyle signing. Mulgrew definitely was though. 

On loan with Lambert, signed permanently by Coyle I think. I could be wrong though. Either way it's a pretty limited lot that Coyle got to recruit. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Blue blood said:

On loan with Lambert, signed permanently by Coyle I think. I could be wrong though. Either way it's a pretty limited lot that Coyle got to recruit. 

Yeah I edited my post for clarification afterwards... basically I would imagine the Graham transfer was more or less agreed before Coyle even arrived. Coyle got sod all to work with in terms of budget, for sure. 

• Like 2