BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

well no we didn't do what Hull. 

We lost Gestede and Cairney in the summer and then Rhodes in January after Lambert decided to sell him and bring in Graham. We stay up that season. 

then we sold Hanley and Duffy the summer after and Marshall in January. We went down but Coyle had a decent budget and we all know what he did with that budget. 

Hull sold their best 2 players on the last day of window and didn't bring in replacements of decent enough quality

No, we decided to sell our best players when we didn't need to, and then refused to spend any money replacing them with any quality.

Try to blame players or managers but the owners were responsible.

I dont agree Coyle had a decent budget. I think it was a poor budget especially given the sales and money brought in.

Its exactly what Hull have done, only our collapse into League One took 12-18 months, theirs is looking like 6 months

• Like 1

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Bottom 3 are the 3 who came up last season. Interesting.

Huge win for Boro today, hauling them out of the relegation zone and dumping Charlton into it. I expect Barnsley and Luton to drop, but think Hull could end up taking the final relegation place. They're in total freefall at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Coyle had a terrible deal budget wise. No way did Coyle have a good budget - they were all frees, loans and Williams. Incoming ,£10 mill plus, and he spent £250k on fees. 

well you say this but lets look at his signings. We signed Graham, Stokes, Mulgrew and Feeney. Plus Greer, Williams and Brown. Plus loan signings of Gallagher, Emnes, Hoban, Samuelsen, Hendrie and Byrne. Plus he tried to sign Stuart Armstrong from Celtic at the time for 1 million pounds but Celtic said no. The wages of those there are over 100k plus a weeks if not more. Plus the players we had here.

Decent budget. Maybe my good budget comment was OTT in all fairness. Still feel like we should have better but no point going over this now. The past is the past

Edited by chaddyrovers

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well you say this but lets look at his signings. We signed Graham, Stokes, Mulgrew and Feeney. Plus Greer, Williams and Brown. Plus loan signings of Gallagher, Emnes, Hoban, Samuelsen, Hendrie and Byrne. Plus he tried to sign Stuart Armstrong from Celtic at the time for 1 million pounds but Celtic said no. The wages of those there are over 100k plus a weeks if not more. Plus the players we had here.

Decent budget. Maybe my good budget was OTT in all fairness. Still feel like we should have better but no point going over this now. The past is the past

Signing lots of players to replace lots of departures doesn't mean that there is a big or good or decent budget. It is filling a self created chasm with frees and loans.

Trying to spend money or talking about spending money are different to actually spending money. We seem to be good at it until the money is needed.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

As a colour blind viewer, was the PNE Vs SWFC easy to distinguish, (shirts not sorts) on Quest tonight?

For those watching in black & white - the blue is tucked nicely behind the pink! 

Genuinely not taking the piss mate. But some of the kit clashes this season are ridiculous! I'm fully colour sighted & struggle at times. It must be a nightmare for people like yourselves with colour differentiation issues.

I think it has to be something to do with the kit manufacturers leading the way. 

I've actually asked questions to our resident referee ( @ arbitro) before now cos it's getting on my nerves!

• Like 1

As much as coyle signed some dross, think bowyer has to take the award for absolute worst buys, albeit he got a few diamonds too. Who was the French lad , petschi? Never heard or seen. Some fridge we had on the books as a youngster came back too, can’t even mind his name 

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

As much as coyle signed some dross, think bowyer has to take the award for absolute worst buys, albeit he got a few diamonds too. Who was the French lad , petschi? Never heard or seen. Some fridge we had on the books as a youngster came back too, can’t even mind his name 

I think if you look at most managers cheap free transfers the majority (not counting the big wages ones like Graham) aren't that good, probably in part  because they are free! Varney, Brown, Caddis, Greer, Marrow, Leuts, Koita (was he free?) Jeffers, Fowler are the names that jump off the page for me. All pretty poor.

If the main transfers are solid though I don't think anyone has the problem with these gambles not working out. Little risk and cost so no harm done. It's when the main transfers don't work out that often (TM) or these cheap freebies are relied upon too much (Coyle, Bowyer end of tenure) that this becomes a problem. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DeeCee said:

As a colour blind viewer, was the PNE Vs SWFC easy to distinguish, (shirts not sorts) on Quest tonight?

I am colour blind and it was a nightmare - but for the shorts I couldn't tell the difference. I don't think they consider the likes of us tbh - which surprises me. Also, that pink winter ball a few years back was bad, as bad as the orange one for me.

Edited by Pedro
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, Pedro said:

When I first joined I was constantly accused of being a Venky plant ? I can't remember who the main accuser was, but it was as funny as it was offensive!

A former poster used to call the LT ‘The Venkygraph’, makes me cringe to this day!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I was never one of Bowyer’s biggest fans but I think his recruitment was sufficiently successful to not be class as the worst. He just had no clue what to do with them (a bit like the set up now).

It’s all relative but Allardyce made some shocking signings. A Premier League Herold Goulon anyone? But at least he had some kind of plan of how to use them.

However, the crown of “manager to bring in the biggest stinkers” has to go to that absolute ? ? ? ? who delighted the Burnley fans (and Wigan fans) so much when he threw away our hard fought PL status in pursuit of his own finances - just because he could.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DE. said:

Huge win for Boro today, hauling them out of the relegation zone and dumping Charlton into it. I expect Barnsley and Luton to drop, but think Hull could end up taking the final relegation place. They're in total freefall at the moment. 

Hull do look absolutely shambolic. 
Madness to think they were 250/1 for relegation the day they sold Bowen to West Ham! 

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

I am colour blind and it was a nightmare - but for the shorts I couldn't tell the difference. I don't think they consider the likes of us tbh - which surprises me. Also, that pink winter ball a few years back was bad, as bad as the orange one for me.

There was a Rugby match on Sky a Sports yesterday which had possibly the worst kit clash I’ve ever seen

E1B6C5C5-45BB-4278-B0CF-DF7EC9CA375B.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

Bottom 3 are the 3 who came up last season. Interesting.

In some respects it's a huge step up. Smallwood being a good example of a player who bossed it league 1 and is out of his depth in the Championship. Likewise no way Antonsson would score in the Championship. Look at how all 3 relegated teams went back up when we got relegated.

That said top beat bottom more than one would expect in the league and it is a tight league. Boro and Hull look like they're trying to get down., so maybe there's not as much in it as first thought. Maybe it's a squad size thing? Smaller clubs have just as good a team but weaker squads and less depth? 

• Backroom

Crazy goings on at Charlton!

Their owner / backer took to Instagram last night to say that the chairman was misusing funds buying himself fancy cars and women with club funds.

The chairman then put out a statement threatening legal action on the owner / backer and said he never came good with any promised funds.

The owner / backer then resigned.

Charlton seemingly now have no owner and no money coming in,  another fine job by the EFL.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

To make matters even worse it seems the stadium and training ground are still owned by the previous owner. 

So now they are in a real mess with the club owning no real assets and looking set for relegation.

Always had a whiff of something not right. 

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Crazy goings on at Charlton!

Their owner / backer took to Instagram last night to say that the chairman was misusing funds buying himself fancy cars and women with club funds.

The chairman then put out a statement threatening legal action on the owner / backer and said he never came good with any promised funds.

The owner / backer then resigned.

Charlton seemingly now have no owner and no money coming in,  another fine job by the EFL.

I think they were so desperate to get Duchatalet out that they jumped out if the frying pan.......

• Backroom

Wow so now he says he still owns the club and is trying to remove the chairman 

The true test of control is who has the password for the twitter account