BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

2 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Brentford have recruited very well and hats off to them ..infact  I think  with VAR in use they  would have won the title by 25 pts ..!..(im Joking of course ..I think )

Just a shame we don’t recruit quite so well such that we have to rely on a crap loan keeper because of how bad the other 10 are.

If only Mowbray had £15m or so to spend...!

Brentford's strong restart is really putting the cat among the promotion pigeons.

We have totally messed up so many games without any opposition help that we can only concentrate on beating what's in front of us.

There isn't a team we can't beat in the Championship and certainly no team we can't lose to.

Today's clashes between clubs at the top only helps us IF we help ourselves.

Otherwise it's all academic.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 4

Just now, philipl said:

Brentford's strong restart is really putting the cat among the promotion pigeons.

I hope by tonight we will be able to say. Rovers strong restart is really putting the cat amongst the play-off pigeons.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I get the impression that Brentford's foreign scouting network is well-established and probably well-funded, but then it pays dividends if you sell them on for huge bucks. Rovers weren't too bad at that game before Venkys rolled up.

I think we're somewhat getting back to that model. Yes, we spent big on Gally and Brereton, but they still have time to come good for the money, and we've built up some assets out of virtually nothing in Lenihan, Rack, Arms, Nyambe... Even Raya went for a fair amount. It's at least better than what has gone on before under Venkys.

West Brom were garbage tonight. Leeds were garbage the other night. They're our next two opponents at home...

What worries me, Phil, is that after two full championship seasons, our squad still needs about 10 new players.

Loans are papering over the cracks and we aren’t building towards anything, yet we have had money to spend.

Yes, Venkys are the problem but so is the manager (and assistant manager, apparently) who doesn’t use the money we have wisely. Extending contracts for Smallwood and Hart when we are skint, because they are good characters is ridiculous.

Couple that with the board “asking” fans not to ask for a refund (while almost every other club made it an option) because it could financially cripple the club, and we are being taken for fools. What’s next year’s big catering deal, price freeze on pie-and-a-pint for £7.50 if you buy your match ticket before the day of the game?

9 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I get the impression that Brentford's foreign scouting network is well-established and probably well-funded, but then it pays dividends if you sell them on for huge bucks. Rovers weren't too bad at that game before Venkys rolled up.

Agree with all this. 

I think we're somewhat getting back to that model. Yes, we spent big on Gally and Brereton, but they still have time to come good for the money, and we've built up some assets out of virtually nothing in Lenihan, Rack, Arms, Nyambe... Even Raya went for a fair amount. It's at least better than what has gone on before under Venkys.

Here's where I disagree. The spending on Bereton and Gally can only really be justified with immediate returns. For that kind of cash they should be! Added to which I'm not sure there's much evidence they wil come good. Gally isn't that young anymore and after 2 spells of working with him TM seems no nearer to getting the best out of him. Sticking him on the wing isn't going to do him or his progress any good either. Likewise whilst Bereton is younger, 2 seasons in he doesn't look like being a 10.goals.a season striker, much less a £7 million lead the line sort of chap.

Armstrong is the cites example of a player who after a few years has come good and really taken it up a level and I grant you that's the case. The difference between Armstrong and the other two is that even before his recent improvement, on his day Armstrong looked great. Sure his day wasn't that often but there were enough of them to see there was.some serious potential. I've not seen even that level of inconsistent sporadic excellence from either of the other two. 

I really want both to come good for Rovers but the evidence really suggests otherwise.

West Brom were garbage tonight. Leeds were garbage the other night. They're our next two opponents at home...

Here's hoping we catch them whilst they are rusty.