BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

The Championship is a bloody hard league to get out of as many bigger sides than Norwich have found out. For them to get into the top flight and show such little ambition is in my opinion pathetic. Of course a newly promoted side will usually struggle but in Norwich's case they just accepted their fate and never put up a fight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So if you aren't interested enough to watch the Webber's interview then why debate the issue. Cos he answered your questions in the interview. 

As Webber said in the interview he wasn't prepare to risk the financial future of the club and put the club on sound financial footing. Its easy for you to say they should have said x amount of money but you need to look beyond your own opinion and look at the reasons cited by Stuart Webber, Daniel Farke and their board

Well if you had look at the Webber's interview He stated their young talent players wont be sold on cheap. 

There are a few flaws into just going along blindly without any critical faculty of your own:

- Promotion is worth 90/100m is it, something like that. And it was unexpected. I refuse to accept that spending a small fraction of that amount would jeopardise the future of the club. Thats a load of bollocks.

- That also assumes that the money spent is never to be seen again. I am advocating spending money sensibly on improving the club, not smashing the wage structure, signing players with resale value or ones who wouldnt burden the club should they go down. Adding additional quality and maybe one or two more experienced heads may have cost a small chunk of that unexpected windfall, but could have greatly improved their survival chances, and prudently should they still go down, they would have more assets which they could balance selling on and keeping to come back up accordingly.

- Also their existing assets might now want to leave after seeing their club meekly accept relegation and with the taste of Premier League football. Their best chance of Premier League football the year after next might have been to stay up this season.

- Survival would have been the best possible outcome. With their attitude that became a nil chance. If the possibility had been embraced, there would be another 90/100m to follow. Its not impossible to come up and stabilise.

- Say that we accept the notion that less than 1 million is spent and they really cant afford even to spend the sort of budget weve had in the last 2 years. Should the manager also be basically saying that his team are miles inferior and not seeming that bothered about relegation? It interviewed Tettey and he didnt seem to be as apathetic to the situation.

- Say all of this theory is true. How depressing is that. Would you be happy if we went up, and came back down having accepted relegation before kicking a ball?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Promotion is worth 90/100m is it, something like that. And it was unexpected. I refuse to accept that spending a small fraction of that amount would jeopardise the future of the club. Thats a load of bollocks.

Like I said and others their owners aren't wealthy owners. Delia Smith and her family are worth around 25 million I seen. The club is now on sound financial footing. Webber and the board including Ed Balls(Former MP) wont put the club at risk again going bust as it was only days from happening before Maddison and Murphy were sold. You would know all this if you listen or even read the interview with the links Provided by myself. 

- That also assumes that the money spent is never to be seen again. I am advocating spending money sensibly on improving the club, not smashing the wage structure, signing players with resale value or ones who wouldnt burden the club should they go down. Adding additional quality and maybe one or two more experienced heads may have cost a small chunk of that unexpected windfall, but could have greatly improved their survival chances, and prudently should they still go down, they would have more assets which they could balance selling on and keeping to come back up accordingly.

Yes they have improved the club by investing in training ground facilities, improvements at that academy plus recruitment and scouting departments. 

- Say that we accept the notion that less than 1 million is spent and they really cant afford even to spend the sort of budget weve had in the last 2 years. Should the manager also be basically saying that his team are miles inferior and not seeming that bothered about relegation? It interviewed Tettey and he didnt seem to be as apathetic to the situation.

Farke knew it was going to tough task. And him and Webber weren't willing to risk spending millions on players given the club financial status 3 years ago. They could do a Burnley under Dyche as I have already said. 

- Say all of this theory is true. How depressing is that. Would you be happy if we went up, and came back down having accepted relegation before kicking a ball?

If we went up and I would expect to be relegation. anything else is a bonus. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said and others their owners aren't wealthy owners. Delia Smith and her family are worth around 25 million I seen. The club is now on sound financial footing. Webber and the board including Ed Balls(Former MP) wont put the club at risk again going bust as it was only days from happening before Maddison and Murphy were sold. You would know all this if you listen or even read the interview with the links Provided by myself. 

Yes they have improved the club by investing in training ground facilities, improvements at that academy plus recruitment and scouting departments. 

Farke knew it was going to tough task. And him and Webber weren't willing to risk spending millions on players given the club financial status 3 years ago. They could do a Burnley under Dyche as I have already said. 

If we went up and I would expect to be relegation. anything else is a bonus. 

Personal wealth is irrelevant. Theyve got an unexpected massive windfall. Im suggesting spending a fraction of that on playing reinforcements, not a mad spending spree. You keep going on about risking the financial future of the club. It doesnt make sense considering what I am suggesting. Plus worst case scenario, they spend 20m and still go down. They have additional assets and are still massively in profit and in better shape on the playing side to come back up. 

You wouldnt be happy if we spent absolutely nothing, and Mowbray said we never expected to survive and it was men v boys. Relegation is not the issue. The manner and the attitude is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said and others their owners aren't wealthy owners. Delia Smith and her family are worth around 25 million I seen. The club is now on sound financial footing. Webber and the board including Ed Balls(Former MP) wont put the club at risk again going bust as it was only days from happening before Maddison and Murphy were sold. You would know all this if you listen or even read the interview with the links Provided by myself.   My heart bleeds for the poor buggers!

If we went up and I would expect to be relegation. anything else is a bonus.  Why both trying to get promoted then!?!

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Their assets on the pitch will now be prematurely poached from the look of it.

I totally get prudence and not spending loads like Fulham did, like Villa have. But why is the only alternative to that not spending at all and accepting relegation before it happens? Surely there is a middle ground.

Yes they will at £20 mil each starting price.

At least they can afford to pay well when they raid us.

Time will tell if their approach works in a very competitive Championship next season.

I doubt that Farke could have set up a defensive model good enough to do a Dingles with the players he had.

I quite admire them for that.

21 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes they will at £20 mil each starting price.

At least they can afford to pay well when they raid us.

Time will tell if their approach works in a very competitive Championship next season.

I doubt that Farke could have set up a defensive model good enough to do a Dingles with the players he had.

I quite admire them for that.

Admiring them for their naivety though surely?

I get prudence but its a small portion of their additional bonus revenue that they could invest into further assets on the playing side who at best could help them stay up and generate untold wealth, at worst can either be sold on upon relegation or help them return.

Spending excessively on fees and wages is a dismal strategy. Spending absolutely nothing and accepting relegation before youve started is equally idiotic.

I think we can agree Sheffield United's strategy on winning promotion was better than Norwich's and both of them were better than Villa's.

Dingles had two or three return trips to the Championship before becoming a top half Premier League side.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Norwich do something similar.

Well done to Wycombe. Will be an interesting addition to the Championship and far more enjoyable than a Sunderland, Ipswich or Portsmouth coming up.

Expect Ainsworth will discover his budget before Mowbray does and can get cracking on transfers which is outrageous.

I'd be surprised if away fans are allowed in next season but who knows.

The sensible option does seem to be let home fans only in for a while to stop thousands descending on different city's every week, but even then how do you decide what home fans go? As we know many of our season ticket holders travel from out of town, do you only allow locals in first and take it from there? Or do you only allow ST holders in despite where they are travelling from, as I suppose going up to Blackburn for the day and watching the footy is no different to going to Blackpool on a random day out and milling around the town.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Worrying about excluding people isn't a problem likely to impact us. With a season ticket base of 8000 in a 31000 stadium we could probably accommodate everyone no problem especially if families and couples sit together.

Even then I'd wager a large percentage of those 8000 wouldn't want to go due to feeling at risk or simply can't be bothered with the hassle of it all. 

Not that getting people into the ground or paying their money is something that the owners or Waggott seem particularly interested in or bothered about judging by the silence on tickets.

49 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Worrying about excluding people isn't a problem likely to impact us. With a season ticket base of 8000 in a 31000 stadium we could probably accommodate everyone no problem especially if families and couples sit together.

Even then I'd wager a large percentage of those 8000 wouldn't want to go due to feeling at risk or simply can't be bothered with the hassle of it all. 

Not that getting people into the ground or paying their money is something that the owners or Waggott seem particularly interested in or bothered about judging by the silence on tickets.

I'd have no reservations whatsoever about going to a game as normal but I won't be attending if you have to jump through hoops or wear a mask once you get to a game next season. In much the same way unless I need food to avoid starving, I won't be visiting any shops on principle if you're forced to wear a mask in the interim.

I would probably renew anyway but not bother attending under the above conditions. Most probably wouldn't and Waggott probably faces a huge battle to prevent renewals falling off a cliff next season.

As men of principle I trust him and Mowbray will take take cuts in pay commensurate with our drop in income.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd have no reservations whatsoever about going to a game as normal but I won't be attending if you have to jump through hoops or wear a mask once you get to a game next season. In much the same way unless I need food to avoid starving, I won't be visiting any shops on principle if you're forced to wear a mask in the interim.

I would probably renew anyway but not bother attending under the above conditions. Most probably wouldn't and Waggott probably faces a huge battle to prevent renewals falling off a cliff next season.

As men of principle I trust him and Mowbray will take take cuts in pay commensurate with our drop in income.

I will be going back to games as soon as I am able, although I understand why those with health issues or more elderly wouldn't want to risk it. 

But I'm not desperate for it to happen, I'll wait and go when able but I'm not counting the days go by. But I'm keen and haven't got much else to do in my spare time other than Rovers so that's fine. Others who have less of an interest won't be as willing.

I'm with you though - I won't take kindly to being told to jump through hoops and other measures.

I expect we are facing up to a collapse in attendances the likes of which we haven't seen before. The club needs to be 100% on the ball in the coming weeks and months to retain as many as possible, tie folk down to the club and not let people drift away never to return.

The best way to achieve this is to get season tickets on sale ASAP with incentives to buy now, hand over your money and get people fastened in for when they can return.

Simply shrugging shoulders, blaming circumstances and allowing months to pass by where people find other things to do and spend their money on is a recipe for disaster.

I could accept the delay if Waggott was busy plotting some radical groundbreaking new scheme but we know more or less what prices will be and it is very unlikely that much will change on last year's offerings.

If he doesn't have the authority to decide prices even in unique conditions like these then is he really worthy of the title he has and the salary he gets?

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Personal wealth is irrelevant. Theyve got an unexpected massive windfall. Im suggesting spending a fraction of that on playing reinforcements, not a mad spending spree. You keep going on about risking the financial future of the club. It doesnt make sense considering what I am suggesting. Plus worst case scenario, they spend 20m and still go down. They have additional assets and are still massively in profit and in better shape on the playing side to come back up. 

You wouldnt be happy if we spent absolutely nothing, and Mowbray said we never expected to survive and it was men v boys. Relegation is not the issue. The manner and the attitude is.

No personal wealth does come in to this for Norwich or Burnley as they aren't owned by Billionaire owners. 

Stuart Webber has told you the reasons why they didn't spend so instead of keep debating the issue look at his comments and he has now put Norwich on solid financial footing. They instead improve their training ground facilities which was poor when Webber and Farke went there(as they have said in previous comments), Improving Academy facilities and imporving their recruitment and Scouting departments which will help them long term. 

Its makes sense when you look into the financial problems when Webber was appointed and that's why Ed Balls who was behind bringing Webber in and completely restructuring the football side of the club. 

But Norwich did spend money improving their structures within the club and not just focus on bring players. So overall the club is in a much better position financial and structural.

I am talking about what Norwich have done for their long term future of the club based on the comments from Webber and Farke. 3 years ago the club was days away from going into administration. So Webber has protect the club future long term instead of their over spending that happened years before it

Edited by chaddyrovers

Very simple. 

Norwich were happy to go down and take the dosh, and as they’ve not overextended, they’ll be back up the top end of the Championship next season. Fair enough, business wise a fairly sensible decision. And this approach seems to be working for Burnley.

But it’s all a bit sad. Kind of negates the romance of football, the joy of promotion, pitting yourself against the best . But that’s modern football.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Very simple. 

Norwich were happy to go down and take the dosh, and as they’ve not overextended, they’ll be back up the top end of the Championship next season. Fair enough, business wise a fairly sensible decision. And this approach seems to be working for Burnley.

But it’s all a bit sad. Kind of negates the romance of football, the joy of promotion, pitting yourself against the best . But that’s modern football.

Football is a simple game.

IMO, a club needs to make three quality appointments:

• CEO
  • Football manager
  • Chief scout

Get these appointments right and the rest will look after itself.

Sadly, we have Waggott, Mowbray and Stuart Harvey.  IMO, all three need binning - you judge on what they've achieved and I'm left scratching my head.  Again, IMO, almost three and a half wasted years - as a club, we haven't moved forward or progressed.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Very simple. 

Exactly this. And as a fan, I dont get how any fan could go up and just accept the fact that the club has just accepted relegation before a ball has been kicked. Whats the point?

To be honest, even from a business view point, I dont see how spending a sensible amount, not breaking the wage budget, ie a small chunk of that massive and unexpected windfall they have received, is risky considering that could help a talented but inexperienced core of players and give them a chance. If they could stay up, thats win win obviously, if they dont, theyve just got additional assets either to sell or indeed help them get back up. I am unconvinced that they will bounce back.

And even assuming that wasnt possible. Should the manager have such a defeatist attitude even beforehand, and should the CEO? By all means play the underdog but they hadnt even considered that there was a chance of staying up from the sound of things. All very sad.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No personal wealth does come in to this for Norwich or Burnley as they aren't owned by Billionaire owners. 

Stuart Webber has told you the reasons why they didn't spend so instead of keep debating the issue look at his comments and he has now put Norwich on solid financial footing. They instead improve their training ground facilities which was poor when Webber and Farke went there(as they have said in previous comments), Improving Academy facilities and imporving their recruitment and Scouting departments which will help them long term. 

Its makes sense when you look into the financial problems when Webber was appointed and that's why Ed Balls who was behind bringing Webber in and completely restructuring the football side of the club. 

But Norwich did spend money improving their structures within the club and not just focus on bring players. So overall the club is in a much better position financial and structural.

I am talking about what Norwich have done for their long term future of the club based on the comments from Webber and Farke. 3 years ago the club was days away from going into administration. So Webber has protect the club future long term instead of their over spending that happened years before it

Put it this way chaddy. Our play off chances have always been remote this season. Hasnt stopped me at numerous times this season, checking the table, looking at fixtures etc, having that hope that the unlikely will happen.

Whats the point if you take away that hope, even if it is a difficult task?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Football is a simple game.

IMO, a club needs to make three quality appointments:

• CEO
  • Football manager
  • Chief scout

Get these appointments right and the rest will look after itself.

Again, IMO, almost three and a half wasted years - as a club, we haven't moved forward or progressed.

Don't just leave it at mowbrays tenure it's the best part of ten years decline now what I would say is that during mowbrays time the league position decline has been stopped. It's like trying to redirect an oil tanker takes a long time to turn things around

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Exactly this. And as a fan, I dont get how any fan could go up and just accept the fact that the club has just accepted relegation before a ball has been kicked. Whats the point?

To be honest, even from a business view point, I dont see how spending a sensible amount, not breaking the wage budget, ie a small chunk of that massive and unexpected windfall they have received, is risky considering that could help a talented but inexperienced core of players and give them a chance. If they could stay up, thats win win obviously, if they dont, theyve just got additional assets either to sell or indeed help them get back up. I am unconvinced that they will bounce back.

And even assuming that wasnt possible. Should the manager have such a defeatist attitude even beforehand, and should the CEO? By all means play the underdog but they hadnt even considered that there was a chance of staying up from the sound of things. All very sad.

Cos the fans know that 3 years ago they were so close to going into administration. Norwich fans remember this. 

very easy to say spending a sensible amount but they didnt. They instead put the club on sound financial footing and improving a number of structures within the club which the club will benefit for years to come.