BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t know pal...I just watched a game of football and saw exactly what he is trying to create in all its glory. Iv never seen it play out like that before positionally.

The model we have is very different because we’ve retained and rely on our youth set up as well as the points you made. But now I’ve seen it I can see why they’re so enamoured with it too.

Sell your best player every summer and buy a few unknowns out of your foreign network of scouts and ya-daaa ?

I have to say though, the best investment they made was in Janson and Pinnock along with Raya who’s better than Bentley. Did make me think how important it is that we really strengthen at the back. I have a really strong feeling that we’ll end up with a loaned number 1 (along with a brfcs meltdown).

Lets see!

I can't be the only one that hates the Brentford model.

Ditched the Academy (but built a new stadium) and have a foreign legion in a cloggers league. It's not good for the game, but of course nobody cares about that as it's currently successful. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Gallagher won't be at Swansea next year. He's the only one that's turned up tonight for them.

He literally won't be at Swansea - didn't realise he was a Chelsea player.

What a stranglehold the PL has on English football. "Oh that talented youngster you saw play for a Football League Club? Yeah, they're on loan".

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Relax mate. Not everything is a serious debate. I was hoping that someone may have watched it and had the same experience tbh. A realisation of what it is that we could be...but likely never will (because of all the things you mentioned)

I watched it and get what your saying. They really are a joy to watch . Fulham were to.  I’d love Mowbray to develop the same system and bring attacking attractive football to ewood. If I saw any shoots that we were heading in that direction even at a snails pace I would back him fully. Sadly I just don’t see it or believe he is capable of doing it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I watched it and get what your saying. They really are a joy to watch . Fulham were to.  I’d love Mowbray to develop the same system and bring attacking attractive football to ewood. If I saw any shoots that we were heading in that direction even at a snails pace I would back him fully. Sadly I just don’t see it or believe he is capable of doing it

Yess!! Exactly my thoughts...I was watching and really enjoying it when it suddenly dawned on me that it’s the exact formation / system we’re trying to play.

Tbh, if we started playing 50% of that type of football I’d be bloody delighted. It’s like a mash up of the possession based City way and the fast pressing of Liverpool. Would love to see how it works in the prem.

Sheff Utd were the best team I’d seen live at Ewood for a decade last season. The way the cbs overlap is out of this world and I’m so glad they’ve done well this season. Wonder if Brentford could do something similar? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I can't be the only one that hates the Brentford model.

Ditched the Academy (but built a new stadium) and have a foreign legion in a cloggers league. It's not good for the game, but of course nobody cares about that as it's currently successful. 

I dislike their stance on the academy and I’d be devastated if we followed suit but there isn’t a football fan in the world that wouldn’t enjoy watching them play. 

• Like 1

Reed getting big plaudits as a defensive mid in Fulhams good season.

That kind of thing sums up our current set up, pecking order and favs come first yet he's good enough to go in there and do that for Fulham.

Why ? because he's a damn good player, better individually than anyone we have but no chance he'd displace anyone here.  

This is why we'll never move on in big enough strides.

• Like 5

Just now, tomphil said:

That kind of thing sums up our current set up, pecking order and favs come first yet he's good enough to go in there and do that for Fulham.

Why ? because he's a damn good player, better individually than anyone we have but no chance he'd displace anyone here.  

I genuinely don't think he's better than Travis, but yes how Mowbray misused him last season was criminal.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Tin-hat time. Paul Cook for Rovers anyone? 

Combine him and Mowbray and there's a good manager there.  Lacks a bit of experience but makes up for it with a brave no nonsense approach.  Exactly what seems to be missing here.

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

He's a class above Travis in all aspects of his game at the moment. Travis is a good solid Championship midfielder. As for Reed there aren't many better midfielders in this division than him maybe only Phillips at Leeds. I think Reed will almost certainly be playing Premiership football next season and he won't look out of place. Mowbray's use of Reed was criminal. 

Agree to disagree. 

Travis is a better athlete, has a better engine and is a better tackler. 

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Nail

head

• Like 3

Let's be honest, almost everyone at Ewood could see how good Reedy was. It's not very often a loanee get's their own song so quickly. 

We even had the 'Ginger Ninja' thing!

Problem was Mowbray thought he needed to learn off Ritchie!

I really do wonder what he's watching sometimes.

Make that most of the time!!

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 5

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Let's be honest, almost everyone at Ewood could see how good Reedy was. It's not very often a loanee get's their own song so quickly. 

We even had the 'Ginger Ninja' thing!

Problem was Mowbray thought he needed to learn off Ritchie!

I really do wonder what he's watching sometimes.

Make that most of the time!!

Doncha know it's oy through watching the King of Ewood that Reed is as good as he is now?

He'd be nothing and nobody without Smallwood!

Yes, I'm joking...

• Like 1

Similar things this season with 'oh we replaced Nyambie with Elliott for this game because we thought he could.....'

Pecking order rules here were some other clubs like Fulham take players because they have a particular strength then try and get the best out of it. Cairney was another example and even Raya at Brentford they wanted a keeper of his style, were willing to take a punt on the flaws because he fir their system.

The set up at Ewood always seems to be geared to just accommodate players and get them games.  Which makes you wonder what the remit really is and who lays it down ?   Where is the actual strive and drive for the top 6 !

• Like 2

On 30/07/2020 at 21:53, Ewood Ace said:

He's a class above Travis in all aspects of his game at the moment. Travis is a good solid Championship midfielder. As for Reed there aren't many better midfielders in this division than him maybe only Phillips at Leeds. I think Reed will almost certainly be playing Premiership football next season and he won't look out of place. Mowbray's use of Reed was criminal. 

Absolutely correct, and Mowbray would play him wide right. Bring in a top class central midfielder - play him wide right. Bring in a centre forward - play him wide right. Bring in a right winger - don't give him a game.

• Like 6

Playing Harrison Reed at right wing instead of centre midfield was one of the worst howlers I've seen TM make. I never got it. Reed did a good job at right wing but you can tell when he did play centrally it made him that extra bit better.

The problem is when we went to sign him again who would you rather go play for? Scott Parker, a class central midfielder in his time, at a team with a squad that should have been automatic play offs in reality, or TM - the bloke who told you that you had a lot to learn from Smallwood. Reed must have been watching some games and thinking how shite must I be if I have to learn from him?

That's no major disrespect to Smallwood, but in the times he played that season we got ran over. I think it was the Swansea game when Smallwood came on and they scored 2 goals literally driving through our midfield unopposed. It was embarrassing. 

• Like 2

Because TM tends to see everyone he brings in as back up to what he already selects it doesn't matter if they could boss one position. They have to fill in wherever whenever and know their place.

Great to keep certain senior players onside, great for team spirit. Not great to try and build a top 6 side i think only Tosin has proved an exception to that rule. In truth that only came about because of injuries and a loan of those above in the pecking order.

Infuriating at times.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Golden boy Reed has had an absolute mare tonight.

Should have been sent off and continues to dive into tackles. His range of passing is poor too. 

I just be watching a different game. Reed and Cairney have dominated the midfield and kept Fulham going forward at every possible opportunity.

• Like 5