BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

Fair play to Fulham . I think Cairney pointed out in his interview after the game that Raya was very "aggressive" at set pieces  and the Fulham staff had noticed this and told the Fulham players if you get chance hit his near post.  Footage of Parker telling Bryan to do exactly that on the touchline prior to taking the free kick  proves that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

It was only worse in the context of the game. Walton's definitely made worse mistakes than that. It's the volume of mistakes that is a problem with Walton for me. There was a period when it was like we were starting -1 on the coupon with him in goal. 

No doubt he looked shaky on many occasions, but being beaten by a free kick at your near post from 45 yards out is something special. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

7 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Fair play to Fulham . I think Cairney pointed out in his interview after the game that Raya was very "aggressive" at set pieces  and the Fulham staff had noticed this and told the Fulham players if you get chance hit his near post.  Footage of Parker telling Bryan to do exactly that on the touchline prior to taking the free kick  proves that.

Indeed. You would think the much vaunted Brentford goalkeeping coach would have noticed this was a risk.  Some way to lose a play-off final! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Indeed. You would think the much vaunted Brentford goalkeeping coach would have noticed this was a risk.  

Exactly ..obviously been doing it throughout the season and Fulham the only club to be bright enough to expose it. No wonder the Brentford manager refused to blame Raya ..

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Great shot stopper, but last night shows again that he can't be trusted. That was a calamitous piece of goalkeeping last night. Worse than anything Walton did this season. 

Was it? Contextually of course, but as an individual bit of goalkeeping it certainly wasnt. Think back to Walton at Preston

Ultimately he is very young but he was our asset. He made errors and I was never totally confident with him in goal and not his biggest fan. 

Even if Walton was on par with him, which he certainly wasnt, they are both young goalkeepers years away from their peak. For Raya, the mistakes were part of his development process. For Walton, learning from mistakes wouldnt have been to our benefit.

The thing is, he clearly has improved this season. Every goalkeeper makes errors, its how often they are and what else the goalkeeper offers. I have seen him quite a few times this season and he has looked far less eccentric this season compared to last. Particularly impressing in the play offs and on his return to Ewood. He will be maturing, hes only young. He has the most clean sheets in the league and has received so much praise from neutrals and Brentford fans too.

Theres a lot of people pointing out his mistake yesterday to imply that we did the right thing. We didnt. Essentially we traded in a talented young goalkeeper for an average at best striker.

We could have had not an error free Championship goalkeeper, If we sign a kid on loan to go in net we repeat the process.

Had we sold Raya and signed a better goalkeeper permanently, its a different story.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Was it? Contextually of course, but as an individual bit of goalkeeping it certainly wasnt. Think back to Walton at Preston

Ultimately he is very young but he was our asset. He made errors and I was never totally confident with him in goal and not his biggest fan. 

Even if Walton was on par with him, which he certainly wasnt, they are both young goalkeepers years away from their peak. For Raya, the mistakes were part of his development process. For Walton, learning from mistakes wouldnt have been to our benefit.

The thing is, he clearly has improved this season. Every goalkeeper makes errors, its how often they are and what else the goalkeeper offers. I have seen him quite a few times this season and he has looked far less eccentric this season compared to last. Particularly impressing in the play offs and on his return to Ewood. He will be maturing, hes only young. He has the most clean sheets in the league and has received so much praise from neutrals and Brentford fans too.

Theres a lot of people pointing out his mistake yesterday to imply that we did the right thing. We didnt. Essentially we traded in a talented young goalkeeper for an average at best striker.

We could have had not an error free Championship goalkeeper, If we sign a kid on loan to go in net we repeat the process.

Had we sold Raya and signed a better goalkeeper permanently, its a different story.

You are responding to something I haven't said. Anyway, Just pointing out it's a clanger of absolute epic proportions. I'm in a WhatsApp group with my mates. Most didn't even know we sold Brentford Raya. All the comments last night were about how shocking it was. And yes,I do think it's worse than any mistake Walton made. A direct free from 45 yards at your near post. All day that should be saved. 

Ps ,I do agree with a lot of your points. After watching a season of Walton, I would prefer Raya. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

When Walton was a having a good game though, he did fill me with more confidence than Raya did. Particularly under crosses. Although I blame Mulgrews refusal/inability to header for making Raya look worse when he was here. Brentford alleviated that with proper centre halves. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are responding to something I haven't said. Anyway, Just pointing out it's a clanger of absolute epic proportions. I'm in a WhatsApp group with my mates. Most didn't even know we sold Brentford Raya. All the comments last night were about how shocking it was. And yes,I do think it's worse than any mistake Walton made. A direct free from 45 yards at your near post. All day that should be saved. 

Ps ,I do agree with a lot of your points. After watching a season of Walton, I would prefer Raya. 

I am guessing that they dont follow the Championship then!

I dunno, at least yesterday it took a brilliant free kick to highlight the terrible positioning. Definitely at fault mind. A floaty cross and Walton was nowhere to be seen v Preston. A pea roller from the edge of the box from Klich the other week squirmed through him like a bar of soap. They were 2 totally unprovoked errors.

All goalkeepers make errors, especially when they are young. I was never Raya's biggest fan. But in context regarding Raya being ours and Walton on loan, to fund Gallagher no less, thats the killer.

As you say though, Raya > Walton, and I would make that judgement even if they were both here permanently, or both on loan.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I am guessing that they dont follow the Championship then!

I dunno, at least yesterday it took a brilliant free kick to highlight the terrible positioning. Definitely at fault mind. A floaty cross and Walton was nowhere to be seen v Preston. A pea roller from the edge of the box from Klich the other week squirmed through him like a bar of soap. They were 2 totally unprovoked errors.

All goalkeepers make errors, especially when they are young. I was never Raya's biggest fan. But in context regarding Raya being ours and Walton on loan, to fund Gallagher no less, thats the killer.

As you say though, Raya > Walton, and I would make that judgement even if they were both here permanently, or both on loan.

No, they don't follow it. Man u, Liverpool and villa fans. I suppose the villa fan does a bit, the others wouldn't really have a clue. They often hit me with the "no championship talk" line. Which I pretend doesn't bother me, but actually does. 

It’s a shame, and I think people are missing out.

We know it’s not exactly top quality in terms of skill level, but it’s without the doubt the best competition in the country, as that crackers last day proved once again.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

They've been had.

You’re right. He hasn’t learned enough from Richie Smallwood yet. He will have to get some Zoom training sessions in with him before the new season.....

• Like 1

One of their best players this season, 8 mil in PL is diddly squat. Good signing.

Also an excellent player to have for if they do come straight back down.

Happy for Reed more than anything if it does go through. Been wanting to play PL and done very well on each of his Championship loans so deserves the chance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fulham set to sign Harrison Reed for 8 million pounds from Southampton now. 

Imagine a club that can decide on a transfer policy whilst still playing the season out and not knowing what league they are going to be in, and immediately put that into action rather than waste weeks 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Imagine a club that can decide on a transfer policy whilst still playing the season out and not knowing what league they are going to be in, and immediately put that into action rather than waste weeks 

Was the price part of the loan agreement? 

We have our target and budget so lets see who we sign now