arbitro

Championship season 2019-20

Just now, tomphil said:

Reed getting big plaudits as a defensive mid in Fulhams good season.

That kind of thing sums up our current set up, pecking order and favs come first yet he's good enough to go in there and do that for Fulham.

Why ? because he's a damn good player, better individually than anyone we have but no chance he'd displace anyone here.  

This is why we'll never move on in big enough strides.

I genuinely don't think he's better than Travis, but yes how Mowbray misused him last season was criminal.

A Brentford v Fulham final will fill the stadium, London derby and all that. Brilliant for Raya, Cairney and Reed. Looking forward to it......woken up. Not reet bothered. 

22 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Tin-hat time. Paul Cook for Rovers anyone? 

Combine him and Mowbray and there's a good manager there.  Lacks a bit of experience but makes up for it with a brave no nonsense approach.  Exactly what seems to be missing here.

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

He's a class above Travis in all aspects of his game at the moment. Travis is a good solid Championship midfielder. As for Reed there aren't many better midfielders in this division than him maybe only Phillips at Leeds. I think Reed will almost certainly be playing Premiership football next season and he won't look out of place. Mowbray's use of Reed was criminal. 

Agree to disagree. 

Travis is a better athlete, has a better engine and is a better tackler. 

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Reed getting big plaudits as a defensive mid in Fulhams good season.

That kind of thing sums up our current set up, pecking order and favs come first yet he's good enough to go in there and do that for Fulham.

Why ? because he's a damn good player, better individually than anyone we have but no chance he'd displace anyone here.  

This is why we'll never move on in big enough strides.

Nail

head

Posted (edited)

Let's be honest, almost everyone at Ewood could see how good Reedy was. It's not very often a loanee get's their own song so quickly. 

We even had the 'Ginger Ninja' thing!

Problem was Mowbray thought he needed to learn off Ritchie!

I really do wonder what he's watching sometimes.

Make that most of the time!!

Edited by windymiller7

22 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Let's be honest, almost everyone at Ewood could see how good Reedy was. It's not very often a loanee get's their own song so quickly. 

We even had the 'Ginger Ninja' thing!

Problem was Mowbray thought he needed to learn off Ritchie!

I really do wonder what he's watching sometimes.

Make that most of the time!!

Doncha know it's oy through watching the King of Ewood that Reed is as good as he is now?

He'd be nothing and nobody without Smallwood!

Yes, I'm joking...

Similar things this season with 'oh we replaced Nyambie with Elliott for this game because we thought he could.....'

Pecking order rules here were some other clubs like Fulham take players because they have a particular strength then try and get the best out of it. Cairney was another example and even Raya at Brentford they wanted a keeper of his style, were willing to take a punt on the flaws because he fir their system.

The set up at Ewood always seems to be geared to just accommodate players and get them games.  Which makes you wonder what the remit really is and who lays it down ?   Where is the actual strive and drive for the top 6 !

On 30/07/2020 at 21:53, Ewood Ace said:

He's a class above Travis in all aspects of his game at the moment. Travis is a good solid Championship midfielder. As for Reed there aren't many better midfielders in this division than him maybe only Phillips at Leeds. I think Reed will almost certainly be playing Premiership football next season and he won't look out of place. Mowbray's use of Reed was criminal. 

Absolutely correct, and Mowbray would play him wide right. Bring in a top class central midfielder - play him wide right. Bring in a centre forward - play him wide right. Bring in a right winger - don't give him a game.

Playing Harrison Reed at right wing instead of centre midfield was one of the worst howlers I've seen TM make. I never got it. Reed did a good job at right wing but you can tell when he did play centrally it made him that extra bit better.

The problem is when we went to sign him again who would you rather go play for? Scott Parker, a class central midfielder in his time, at a team with a squad that should have been automatic play offs in reality, or TM - the bloke who told you that you had a lot to learn from Smallwood. Reed must have been watching some games and thinking how shite must I be if I have to learn from him?

That's no major disrespect to Smallwood, but in the times he played that season we got ran over. I think it was the Swansea game when Smallwood came on and they scored 2 goals literally driving through our midfield unopposed. It was embarrassing. 

Because TM tends to see everyone he brings in as back up to what he already selects it doesn't matter if they could boss one position. They have to fill in wherever whenever and know their place.

Great to keep certain senior players onside, great for team spirit. Not great to try and build a top 6 side i think only Tosin has proved an exception to that rule. In truth that only came about because of injuries and a loan of those above in the pecking order.

Infuriating at times.

Golden boy Reed has had an absolute mare tonight.

Should have been sent off and continues to dive into tackles. His range of passing is poor too. 

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Golden boy Reed has had an absolute mare tonight.

Should have been sent off and continues to dive into tackles. His range of passing is poor too. 

I just be watching a different game. Reed and Cairney have dominated the midfield and kept Fulham going forward at every possible opportunity.

Just now, arbitro said:

I just be watching a different game. Reed and Cairney have dominated the midfield and kept Fulham going forward at every possible opportunity.

Aye, you must be. 

Aye, you must be. 

Obviously.

Just now, arbitro said:

Fulham the better side, controlling the midfield but they are really lacking up top without Mitrovic.

On 03/08/2020 at 11:52, Dreams of 1995 said:

Playing Harrison Reed at right wing instead of centre midfield was one of the worst howlers I've seen TM make. I never got it.

He did it with Whittingham too. That was an abomination.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Fulham the better side, controlling the midfield but they are really lacking up top without Mitrovic.

I heard the commentators saying Mitrovic was warming up by himself pre match which indicates we'll only see him if absolutely necessary. I think with his movement inside the penalty area Fulham would have been ahead.

13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Brentford more likely to score. 

Brentford more likely to score. 

To be honest I don't think either side look like scoring.

Every time I watch Cairney playing in CM (and usually bossing it), I get miffed off at Bowyer's persistence in playing him wide right in favour of Lowe/Evans/Williamson.  I did a stat analysis at the time of games where Cairney played at CM compared to the other different pairings and found we had more goals scored, less conceded and more points gained when Cairney was in his rightful position.

Funnily enough, Cairney also averaged more tackles and interceptions per game, despite the players ahead of him being supposedly more defensively capable.  (He even averaged better tackle/interception stats from wide right than plodders like Lowe and Williamson did in CM).

Has to be Bowyer's greatest failing from his time here.  I truly believe we'd have got promoted with the Rhodes and Rudy strikeforce if it wasn't for Bowyer's stubbornness in sticking with two negative, defensive midfielders.

Cairney should feel very lucky to still be on the pitch after that tackle. 
Brentford kinda unlucky not to get a penalty just a second before Cairney’stackle too