arbitro

Championship season 2019-20

8 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Does it not mean tho that Fulham parachute payments get spread around the championship 

Does that happen?

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Mate, he didn't want to be here.

He's the best of a bad bunch of keepers we've had - but then we're also lauding a player like Travis who wouldn't have got a sniff in our Premier League midfields.

It's a different age - thanks Venkys.

What a cope. 

He's a very good keeper for the level we have, and much better then what we have/are realistically gonna get on a permanent. 

That's it. 

Posted (edited)

Given all that excellent coaching he’s been getting for the last year, I think it’s hilarious Fulham are going up by targeting an obvious weakness. If anything is coachable at all in goalkeeping, it’s positions for free kicks.

What a bunch of chokers though when West Brom’s faltering put promotion in their own hands: lost four out their last five games, no clean sheets, two games lost through goalie howlers. Still, that Golden Glove award will look good on top of his telly.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

21 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Given all that excellent coaching he’s been getting for the last year, I think it’s hilarious Fulham are going up by targeting an obvious weakness. If anything is coachable at all in goalkeeping, it’s positions for free kicks.

What a bunch of chokers though when West Brom’s faltering put promotion in their own hands: lost four out their last five games, no clean sheets, two games lost through goalie howlers. Still, that Golden Glove award will look good on top of his telly.

Maybe he really IS the reason they were playing in the Playoff Final then.

He was certainly the reason they lost it. 🤣

Chin up, David. 

Unfortunately this is why I don't feel sorry we don't have him anymore, these kind of stunning mistakes seem a permanent feature of his game. 

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well done Scott Parker for taking them back to the premier league on the first attempt in his 1st full season there

Yes, a young coach in his first job.

Who would've thought it.

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well done Scott Parker for taking them back to the premier league on the first attempt in his 1st full season there

With the amount their squad cost, they should have gone up automatically.

Cavaleiro - £15m

Mitrovic - £22m

Hector - £8m

Mawson - £20m

Bryan - £6m

Classic Raya! Absolute textbook. If anyone is anyway defending that, just imagine Walton did likewise in the play off final. 

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

We seem to have such bad luck with sell-on fees. We need to start putting proper price tags on players.

I am sure we try, but that's how negotiations work 

10 hours ago, Tugay-is-God said:

He's the best keeper we've had since Robinson, he's one of the best keepers in the championship, and he's 24. 

Find me that for 3 million. 

Very debatable. Great shot stopper but the best keepers in the championship shouldn't be getting bet from ,what, 40 yards at their near post in the biggest game in English football(financially) 

10 hours ago, DE. said:

Going to be tough for Brentford's players to come back from this mentally, you'd think. Threw away automatic promotion when they had it in their grasp, and have now thrown away a playoff final against what is truthfully a painfully average Fulham side (albeit with some top players in it). 

Wouldn't be surprised to see them back with us in mid-table purgatory next season. 

This is exactly what I thought. Will really show just how good this scouting method is, because the vultures will be circling. 

11 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Benrahma has had bit of a Rothwell tonight 

He was the same against us 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Very debatable. Great shot stopper but the best keepers in the championship shouldn't be getting bet from ,what, 40 yards at their near post in the biggest game in English football(financially) 

I think it's generally considered that Rodak, Samba and Raya have been the best three keepers in the Championship this season. It is unfortunate that he does have an error in him, but he's still very young.

It’s rushes of blood to the head that seems to be his biggest problem. Does he get bored? The free kick error only came about because of that kamikaze charge to the halfway line.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I think it's generally considered that Rodak, Samba and Raya have been the best three keepers in the Championship this season. It is unfortunate that he does have an error in him, but he's still very young.

Great shot stopper, but last night shows again that he can't be trusted. That was a calamitous piece of goalkeeping last night. Worse than anything Walton did this season. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Great shot stopper, but last night shows again that he can't be trusted. That was a calamitous piece of goalkeeping last night. Worse than anything Walton did this season. 

It was only worse in the context of the game. Walton's definitely made worse mistakes than that. It's the volume of mistakes that is a problem with Walton for me. There was a period when it was like we were starting -1 on the coupon with him in goal. 

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Walton used to throw them in his own net. 

Fair play to Fulham . I think Cairney pointed out in his interview after the game that Raya was very "aggressive" at set pieces  and the Fulham staff had noticed this and told the Fulham players if you get chance hit his near post.  Footage of Parker telling Bryan to do exactly that on the touchline prior to taking the free kick  proves that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

It was only worse in the context of the game. Walton's definitely made worse mistakes than that. It's the volume of mistakes that is a problem with Walton for me. There was a period when it was like we were starting -1 on the coupon with him in goal. 

No doubt he looked shaky on many occasions, but being beaten by a free kick at your near post from 45 yards out is something special. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Fair play to Fulham . I think Cairney pointed out in his interview after the game that Raya was very "aggressive" at set pieces  and the Fulham staff had noticed this and told the Fulham players if you get chance hit his near post.  Footage of Parker telling Bryan to do exactly that on the touchline prior to taking the free kick  proves that.

Indeed. You would think the much vaunted Brentford goalkeeping coach would have noticed this was a risk.  Some way to lose a play-off final! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Indeed. You would think the much vaunted Brentford goalkeeping coach would have noticed this was a risk.  

Exactly ..obviously been doing it throughout the season and Fulham the only club to be bright enough to expose it. No wonder the Brentford manager refused to blame Raya ..

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Was it? Contextually of course, but as an individual bit of goalkeeping it certainly wasnt. Think back to Walton at Preston

Ultimately he is very young but he was our asset. He made errors and I was never totally confident with him in goal and not his biggest fan. 

Even if Walton was on par with him, which he certainly wasnt, they are both young goalkeepers years away from their peak. For Raya, the mistakes were part of his development process. For Walton, learning from mistakes wouldnt have been to our benefit.

The thing is, he clearly has improved this season. Every goalkeeper makes errors, its how often they are and what else the goalkeeper offers. I have seen him quite a few times this season and he has looked far less eccentric this season compared to last. Particularly impressing in the play offs and on his return to Ewood. He will be maturing, hes only young. He has the most clean sheets in the league and has received so much praise from neutrals and Brentford fans too.

Theres a lot of people pointing out his mistake yesterday to imply that we did the right thing. We didnt. Essentially we traded in a talented young goalkeeper for an average at best striker.

We could have had not an error free Championship goalkeeper, If we sign a kid on loan to go in net we repeat the process.

Had we sold Raya and signed a better goalkeeper permanently, its a different story.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Was it? Contextually of course, but as an individual bit of goalkeeping it certainly wasnt. Think back to Walton at Preston

Ultimately he is very young but he was our asset. He made errors and I was never totally confident with him in goal and not his biggest fan. 

Even if Walton was on par with him, which he certainly wasnt, they are both young goalkeepers years away from their peak. For Raya, the mistakes were part of his development process. For Walton, learning from mistakes wouldnt have been to our benefit.

The thing is, he clearly has improved this season. Every goalkeeper makes errors, its how often they are and what else the goalkeeper offers. I have seen him quite a few times this season and he has looked far less eccentric this season compared to last. Particularly impressing in the play offs and on his return to Ewood. He will be maturing, hes only young. He has the most clean sheets in the league and has received so much praise from neutrals and Brentford fans too.

Theres a lot of people pointing out his mistake yesterday to imply that we did the right thing. We didnt. Essentially we traded in a talented young goalkeeper for an average at best striker.

We could have had not an error free Championship goalkeeper, If we sign a kid on loan to go in net we repeat the process.

Had we sold Raya and signed a better goalkeeper permanently, its a different story.

You are responding to something I haven't said. Anyway, Just pointing out it's a clanger of absolute epic proportions. I'm in a WhatsApp group with my mates. Most didn't even know we sold Brentford Raya. All the comments last night were about how shocking it was. And yes,I do think it's worse than any mistake Walton made. A direct free from 45 yards at your near post. All day that should be saved. 

Ps ,I do agree with a lot of your points. After watching a season of Walton, I would prefer Raya. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Posted (edited)

When Walton was a having a good game though, he did fill me with more confidence than Raya did. Particularly under crosses. Although I blame Mulgrews refusal/inability to header for making Raya look worse when he was here. Brentford alleviated that with proper centre halves. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel