BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Sacked after 3 league games? Can’t be looking at his record last season too, can they?

Surely not, according to many that is not allowed - it's "only 3 games", managers get a fresh slate each season.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Ha, I meant quick after the game they played against Fulham.

I thought managers got to reset the clock at the start of every season?

In all seriousness though, it’s amazing how long failing managers get at Rovers compared to other clubs.

Mention it on here and people don’t like it but the same people nod sagely when other clubs sack managers.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

In all seriousness though, it’s amazing how long failing managers get at Rovers compared to other clubs.

Mention it on here and people don’t like it but the same people nod sagely when other clubs sack managers.

When you get to the realisation that the word in bold is subjective, you’ll stop being amazed by opinions that aren’t your own!

Plus one win in 7 months is a bit more what I’d call “failing” personally! 

• Like 3

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

When you get to the realisation that the word in bold is subjective, you’ll stop being amazed by opinions that aren’t your own!

Plus one win in 7 months is a bit more what I’d call “failing” personally! 

Failing managers do get too long at Rovers. I don’t see how that is disputable given the experience with Kean and Bowyer. Where we are heading under Mowbray is questionable. He will also get too long and we will stagnate. Any momentum from 2018 is now long gone. Probably along with Mowbray’s turn at spending Venkys money - give his failures in the transfer market. He has also failed to spot the problems brewing in defence, let alone fix them. Now he bemoans we are short.

Of course this is subjective, of course it’s an opinion. This is a messageboard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Failing managers at Rovers? Like who? 

Mowbray hasnt failed here Stuart. 

We could agree on Coyle, Kean as failing manager. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Already answered but you’ve answered your own question.

Mowbray is currently failing as Rovers manager in the sense that he has been underachieving since at least February. He also failed to keep us up first time around. He gets a lot of slack because of L1 promotion but this club needs to keep moving forward. As soon as you reward players or managers for anything other than what happens on the pitch then you will hit problems. We can’t sell our poorer players because they can’t get these contracts elsewhere. We pay off or see out so many contracts for this reason.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's about the here and now though and not what has been achieved in the recent past. Ranieri won the Premier League and such was the speedy regression it cost him his job.

Mowbray isn't at that stage just yet but I really don't believe that he can take us above lower (mid table at best) Championship.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

I think Berg & Appleton might disagree Stuart.

It's daft sacking managers 3 games into a season, end of. Hudds caused their own problems on this one as Siewert should never have been appointed in the first place, or he should have been sacked in the 

So, it’s daft actually sacking him later than you suggested? I’m confused.

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I think Berg & Appleton might disagree Stuart.

It's daft sacking managers 3 games into a season, end of. Hudds caused their own problems on this one as Siewert should never have been appointed in the first place, or he should have been sacked in the summer.

Berg and Appleton fell foul of instability aka the infighting between Shebby, Aggers and Shelvey. Had either been appointed when Bowyer was - or after Coyle they’d have been given a lot more time - including by fans.

I’m curious though. If you don’t sack a manager during the Summer, how many games/losses/points should they get before someone makes a change?

For me, it comes down to targets for the season.

Just doing some maths for fun...

If our target is top 6 then history says we need about 76 points (1.8 points per game) and can only sustain 12 defeats (26%).

In the Championship, Mowbray has been a slightly below a W1D1L1 manager, or 61 points over a season.

So to be on track he needs to have over 16 points after 10 games (e.g. W4D3L3). 

That means two more defeats (L4) and he would be behind target and would need 5 wins and a draw (W5D1L4 = 16 points). That is quite a run especially for an out of form team.

10 games is a long time in football and can destroy a season.

As someone who plays for draws and bemoans fine margins, Mowbray can only really afford one more defeat in the next 8 games.

Obviously this is all theoretical and the mix of games will impact but I’m a great believer in form and momentum. A poor side can beat a better one depending on the form both teams are in. Do you know the last time Mowbray had a run of 6 Championship games undefeated - including 5 wins? Boro, September 2011. Rare as the proverbial.

Looking through the stats, it’s interesting how similar to West Brom our journey under Mowbray has been. He starts well and then loses whatever magic he had. Getting 100% out of mediocre players is a short term gig and very difficult to continue to do without a churn of players.

• Backroom
On 16/08/2019 at 19:41, chaddyrovers said:

She clearly doesnt have a clue

On 16/08/2019 at 20:14, Norbert Rassragr said:

When did they get promoted? It wasn't that long ago was it?

On 16/08/2019 at 22:43, Blue blood said:

Clueless given the money, talent, crowds, TV viewings all point to championship being vastly superior. No wonder West ham struggle with her as part of the team. 

That's the thing Norbert, her own club has been there recently, so she can't claim ignorance. And this is someone who has worked in football for decades and should surely know her onions. I'm genuinely mystified by those comments.

If you use recent player movements. Jack Harrison was a star in the MLS for Viera's New York FC. He's since struggled to make a big impact for 2 Championship clubs (although I think he will come good,  only 22).

Conversely, Johnny Russell was a decent Champ player for Derby for years. He's gone over to Sporting Kansas and smashed it. Scoring 18 goals in 49 games, winning MLS goal of the week, and MLS player of the week.

Yep, sounds like he's jumped 3 levels in standard.

I can only assume she was drinking heavily the day she wrote that column. 

• Like 1

Reading not looking like the relegation fodder of last year... could even be a dark horse for playoffs (based on 1 game viewing).

But where did they get £12m for Joao and Puscas plus the money for (probably) expensive loans for Maizga, Pele, Ejaria and Rafael, not to mention the wages for Morrison and Adam.

It's not like they sell out their stadium or have parachute money... hmmmm.

Could have been 5-0 to Reading quite easily.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Reading not looking like the relegation fodder of last year... could even be a dark horse for playoffs (based on 1 game viewing).

But where did they get £12m for Joao and Puscas plus the money for (probably) expensive loans for Maizga, Pele, Ejaria and Rafael, not to mention the wages for Morrison and Adam.

It's not like they sell out their stadium or have parachute money... hmmmm.

Could have been 5-0 to Reading quite easily.

Cardiff have had more shots on target - agreed it should have been 5-0; missed penalty and keeper one-on-one at the end.

On 17/08/2019 at 09:57, Stuart said:

Failing managers do get too long at Rovers. I don’t see how that is disputable given the experience with Kean and Bowyer. Where we are heading under Mowbray is questionable. He will also get too long and we will stagnate. Any momentum from 2018 is now long gone. Probably along with Mowbray’s turn at spending Venkys money - give his failures in the transfer market. He has also failed to spot the problems brewing in defence, let alone fix them. Now he bemoans we are short.

Of course this is subjective, of course it’s an opinion. This is a messageboard.

We did go through a period of sacking managers frequently (Berg, Appleton etc.) but that did not improve performances.

It's only worth sacking a manager if you are sure you can get better. I'm on the fence on that score atm.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

We did go through a period of sacking managers frequently (Berg, Appleton etc.) but that did not improve performances.

It's only worth sacking a manager if you are sure you can get better. I'm on the fence on that score atm.

C’mon JBN, this was before stability and the days of SAS (Singh, Agnew, and Shaw). It wasn’t potting them that was the problem per se, it was that they all allegedly had different replacements lined up and didn’t like anyone else’s pick.

Just now, Stuart said:

C’mon JBN, this was before stability and the days of SAS (Singh, Agnew, and Shaw). It wasn’t potting them that was the problem per se, it was that they all allegedly had different replacements lined up and didn’t like anyone else’s pick.

''Deary'' me seeing those names gave me a shudder, I see Waggott in a new light!

Just now, Stuart said:

Can you please re arrange those letters to ASS in future 

cheers

• Like 8