BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

For all the talk about Swansea cutting back, it is somewhat going under the radar that they have one attacking player who cost 20 million, and another who cost 15 million, both of whom carry track records well above the standard of the Championship, in Ayew and Baston.

But you need to look at them players that have left and their wages they were earning at the club plus fees for certain players sold. 

Outgoing players

Bony, Olsson, Fer, Montero(loan), Narsingh, Ayew(2.5 mil), James(15 mil) and McBurnie(17 to 20 20 mil). about 250 to 300k a week save there in wages. so that 12 to 15 mil save per year on wages. Plus fees there. 

Players they signed

Peterson (500k), Bidwell on a free, loan in 4 players in Wilmot, Kalulu, Woodman and Sam Surridge. 

So you would deffo say they has been massive cutbacks there wouldn't you?

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But you need to look at them players that have left and their wages they were earning at the club plus fees for certain players sold. 

Outgoing players

Bony, Olsson, Fer, Montero(loan), Narsingh, Ayew(2.5 mil), James(15 mil) and McBurnie(17 to 20 20 mil). about 250 to 300k a week save there in wages. so that 12 to 15 mil save per year on wages. Plus fees there. 

Players they signed

Peterson (500k), Bidwell on a free, loan in 4 players in Wilmot, Kalulu, Woodman and Sam Surridge. 

So you would deffo say they has been massive cutbacks there wouldn't you?

I understand to an extent, but my point being its nothing when youve got the luxury of a 35m strikeforce, including a striker who scored 18 in La Liga the other year, and is already top scorer in this league.

With him and Ayew in the side, that sort of luxury means it is very difficult to have sympathy with the manager even if he has had to rely on loans and frees in addition to that, because them 2 are replacements for James and McBurnie themselves, and bloody good replacements at that. With firepower like that at the managers disposal youd expect a minimum top 6 finish.

44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I understand to an extent, but my point being its nothing when youve got the luxury of a 35m strikeforce, including a striker who scored 18 in La Liga the other year, and is already top scorer in this league.

With him and Ayew in the side, that sort of luxury means it is very difficult to have sympathy with the manager even if he has had to rely on loans and frees in addition to that, because them 2 are replacements for James and McBurnie themselves, and bloody good replacements at that. With firepower like that at the managers disposal youd expect a minimum top 6 finish.

how much are both worth now tho? deffo not even 15 mil together so the fee they cost is mooted point. 

Bought in 6 players for a total of 500k and sold players worth over 35 mil and save over 12 million on the wages. So massive cutbacks there are happening. 

got a decent squad there but not sure it got the strength in depth you need to be honest

On 23/08/2019 at 13:24, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is it any good? I thought the City one on Amazon was shite. More like a PR video. The Sunderland one on Netflix was way better as it was warts and all. Did you watch that? If so, which is the Leeds one closer in style to? 

Late reply but I've found it more palatable than the City one which I didn't finish.

A few interesting things to see more of - like Bielsa's SpyGate conference and the failed Daniel James transfer.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2019 at 01:54, Atko's Engine said:

I remember a few on here waxing lyrical about Stoke's transfer business. There was 5 announced in 1 day and many thought 3/4 of them would be solid Championship signings. Plus the fact of signing 5 in a day was held up as the way to do business.

Meanwhile at that point I think we'd signed 2 freebies in Downing & Johnson. It's early days yet of course but I think I know where I'd rather be right now.

Just goes to show that this is an impossible league to predict.  On 1st August we would probably all have taken 6 points from 4 games plus a cup win with 2 or 3 solid performances and 2 clean sheets amongst it, so we're about where we would have expected to be. Let's just stay calm, not get too giddy over a win or throw toys out after a defeat.

We have a matchday squad that is at least as strong as last season when compared to our competitors, with added nouse and game management ability, more in-game options & whilst youth is being blooded. That should be enough to turn some of last season's draws into wins & defeats into draws, so if (I accept it's a reasonably sizable if) we can perform consistently at our expected level then we have a good chance to be in the mix come March / April.

You are right I remember that.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2019 at 07:24, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is it any good? I thought the City one on Amazon was shite. More like a PR video. The Sunderland one on Netflix was way better as it was warts and all. Did you watch that? If so, which is the Leeds one closer in style to? 

What's the title of the Sunderland one, wouldn't mind watchin

On 24/08/2019 at 13:31, roversfan99 said:

Yep, suspect that Jones will be at the job centre this week, Hughton would be ideal.

Bielsa's Leeds I suspect will go one better than last season and get top 2.

We thought that last year but they bottled it, could do the same.

On 25/08/2019 at 15:43, roversfan99 said:

For all the talk about Swansea cutting back, it is somewhat going under the radar that they have one attacking player who cost 20 million, and another who cost 15 million, both of whom carry track records well above the standard of the Championship, in Ayew and Baston.

Swansea look like this season's Norwich- selling top players and raising over £25m only to emerge a much stronger outfit.

Early days but I wouldn't say we are in an easier league compared to last season. Strikes me all the clubs have enough about them to be able to punish opponent's weaknesses as Stoke and Huddersfield are discovering all too painfully. Reading absolutely clobbering Cardiff was a wake-up to everyone that there are no easy games in the Championship.

Leeds v Swansea tomorrow will expose credentials. Thus far Leeds have had one fixture against likely challengers (won 3-1 at Bristol City) and Swansea have had one (drew 1-1 at Derby) whereas Rovers have their third game against a club in the bookies' list for the top 6 tomorrow. 

I hope we can get a point at West Brom- if the side we know can turn up performs at the Hawthorns there is no reason we should return empty handed. However, the real test of Rovers' ability to kick on are the fixtures after the international break in September- Reading, Millwall and Luton- if we can win those games reliably, we are serious about challenging for the play-offs this season.

Edited by philipl

Watched Cardiff v Fulham not knowing I could have been watching the youngsters at Brighton.

Fulham are everything you would want of a passing side- accuracy vision movement and ability to snap into a clean tackle to win it back. Reed is sitting in the centre circle orchestrating it all. But in the final third for all the apparent threat they don't actually deliver against a well drilled aggressive defence plus their own defence is vulnerable.

Cardiff pretty much as they were at Ewood- never going to win a beauty contest and probably a bit short of what is needed to get automatic promotion this season.

• Like 1

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Kasey Palmer looking class for Bristol City. Always rated him. Bet he's laughing at some of our fickle fans who said he wasn't good enough. 

It seems something has happened to him. I couldn't quite believe the 'show pony' that briefly minced around at Ewood is running around, tracking back and making strong tackles....and even heading one into the onion bag.

25 minutes ago, DE. said:

Stoke beaten again, this time by Birmingham. Huddersfield also lose again to Luton. What a terrible start for those two. 

2 relegation places sorted early perhaps? Probably too early to tell but early warning signs are there and no chance to bring in new players to rectify things till Jan. 

My wife isn't at all into football but occasionally asks how the championship is going. I showed her the table at lunch today an her immediate response was Leeds always fall away. Good to know Leeds bottling tendencies are well known. 

Also I agree with those saying the championship is weaker this year. Teams relegated last year  are struggling or have inexpeirienced managers. No squad looks really strong. Charlton starting well is proof that any team can do well. Agree with those saying the championship is there for the taking this year.