BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

59 minutes ago, DE. said:

Hodgson does well at smaller clubs with low expectations. Struggles at bigger clubs. Rovers, Liverpool, England (big job if not club) - all with high expectations not met. In comparison he's improved almost all of the lesser clubs he's been at. Some managers are just suited to certain roles and Roy is an underdog manager.

Just don't let him near the cheque book and he's OK.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just don't let him near the cheque book and he's OK.

Pretty much. I think Roy also struggles to deal with a collective set of big egos. He can handle one or two but not a dressing room full of them. He made some terrible signings for us at the end, but from recollection he had completely lost the dressing room in the last couple of months which pretty much spells the end for any manager. The same happened at Liverpool.

20 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Reeks of "well Derby got away with it so why can't we?"

Plus all of that financial fiddling that Leicester got away with to get promoted to the Prem. 

Again this is what throws me. How can it be ok for one club but not another? One of the most frustrating things in football is the inconsistencies shown by the governing bodies. Along with the Bolton fiasco the game is losing what lite credibility remains. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We aint getting relegated at least. That can be put to bed now. We were bad during our awful run but there is far worse than us out there even when it might not feel like it. 

That's my take on it too. The possibility of relegation has receded at least for a fair while. I can't get rid of the haunting fear that we'll go on another run like last April though.

Its a pessimism born out of decades of watching Rovers.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

That's my take on it too. The possibility of relegation has receded at least for a fair while. I can't get rid of the haunting fear that we'll go on another run like last April though.

Its a pessimism born out of decades of watching Rovers.

I think we are still a mid-table team. Five wins out of six and we aren’t in the top six, which means we’ll need another five from six to get in the mix, then two points a game from then on. Unlikely for a team capable of winning one in eight.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DE. said:

New manager bounce didn't last long for Stoke. Beaten again today by Hull after being one up, three defeats on the spin now.

Perhaps they are like Sunderland as in a problem club? After all the current guy clearly has nous and has done well previously, albeit not in this league. But they're getting through a number of managers and all struggling so perhaps the common denominator is the club? 

Wigan are in trouble loosing to Luton. Their record has been appalling for a while now. And Boro have picked up a bit but you still think Woodgate isn't the right man for them and they'll hover round the relegation zone. 

Interesting to see those with new managers - Cardiff, Reading and Millwall - aren't pulling up any trees but are getting some points. It seems like average is the watchword of this division. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

WBA beating Swansea 5-1 and are already 10 points clear at the top of the division, having only lost once the entire season. Even Leeds are 8 points clear of Fulham in 3rd. Great for those two clubs but doesn't say much for the rest of the division. Playoff spots and that third promotion spot are wide open imo. We're only 5 points off Fulham ffs.

Edited by DE.

9 minutes ago, DE. said:

WBA beating Swansea 5-1 and are already 10 points clear at the top of the division, having only lost once the entire season. Even Leeds are 8 points clear of Fulham in 3rd. Great for those two clubs but doesn't say much for the rest of the division. Playoff spots and that third promotion spot are wide open imo. We're only 5 points off Fulham ffs.

If Leeds were to fall away this time around, it would the worst of their annual bottle jobs. Cannot see it happening and cannot see past those two both going up automatically. Fulham looked like they could challenge at one point - not sure what has happened there but they have fallen away. 

The good news is that we couldnt have picked a better time to go to Swansea. They have not won in 5 and we have won 4 on the trot.

Edited by JacknOry

• Backroom
Just now, JacknOry said:

If Leeds were to fall away this time around, it would the worst of their annual bottle jobs. Cannot see it happening and cannot see past those two both going up automatically. Fulham looked like they could challenge at one point - not sure what has happened there but they have fallen away. 

Unlike the other two they have a novice manager, which I think is going to cost them in terms of an automatic promotion place. 

• Like 2

I felt in the summer that the appointment of Bilic at West Brom was an outstanding piece of business and looks like it will get them promoted just as they need it before the money stops. 

Last year they were hampered by the inexperience of Darren Moore then when they sacked him had no succession plan and left it to a caretaker.

Learned from their error and got it spot on with Bilic.

Leeds - pay the money for a quality manager and allow him to bring his staff and let him get on with it.

Surely the end for Cook at Wigan though I half hope that they keep him until they come to Ewood on 23rd.

• Like 2

Early Nov'19 we lost to Leeds and fell to 18th, 8 points behind sixth place. Now after a fantastic run we've moved to within 2 points of sixth place. The big question is can we continue to produce results that will get us into a playoff position. TM has come in for some criticism and I'm one who joined that debate but its a results game and he deserves credit for picking a winning team. May still be critics on his subs, sitting on a 1 goal lead but if we keep winning that's good enough for me. 

Looking at same time last year we were again 10th with a point better off with a better GD. Think PL is there for WBA and Leeds, two strong sides with owners who have invested wisely. PNE would have been well in the mix had they not suffered 4 consecutive defeats. If we had have won that day, plus the other "dropped point" games, "as it stands" league table below would have looked far better. 

As It Stood Dec 2018         As It Stands Dec2019    
    Team P GD Pts       Team P GD Pts
1   Norwich 20 13 40   1   West Brom 20 21 45
2   Leeds 20 16 39   2   Leeds 20 20 43
3   Middlesbrough 20 9 35   3   Fulham 20 11 35
4   West Brom 19 14 34   4   Bristol City 20 5 35
5   Nottm Forest 20 11 34   5   Nottm Forest 19 10 33
6   Sheff Utd 20 8 34   6   Sheff Wed 20 9 32
7   Derby 20 6 34   7   Preston 20 6 31
8   Aston Villa 20 9 31   8   Cardiff 20 3 31
9   Birmingham 20 6 30   9   Brentford 20 14 30
10   Blackburn 20 -4 29   10   Blackburn 20 0 30
11   QPR 20 -5 28   11   Swansea 20 0 30
12   Stoke 20 0 27   12   Hull 20 5 29

Positives are we are on a fantastic run, have a settled side with a defense that's not leaking goals. Dare I dream??

If we keep a settled team without injuries and suspensions we could do well. It wasnt agreed by fellow forum users that William's could do a job if Tosin or Lenihan or Downing got injured or suspended so reinforcements are needed at the back