BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship season 2019-20

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

Just noticed that Wigan's win today has dropped Boro into the relegation zone. Hell of a run Wigan are on at the moment, fair play to them. 

If Barnsley keep picking up points then the likes of Hull, Charlton and Stoke will be sweating big time as well. Huddersfield not safe yet either, but think the teams above them should be okay. 

Yep! From a Rovers supporter's point of view, the bottom of the championship is becoming exciting to watch for the rest of the season. I reckon Charlton, Luton and either Barnsley or Hull will go. I would love Barnsley to avoid it but time is running out for them. I expected them to be out of the bottom 3 by now with their new manager.

Middlesbrough FC owner Steve Gibson back Woodgate as head coach  

Speaks about reducing the wage bill, bringing through young academy players and learning from his mistakes over the past decade  

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-gibson-exclusive-middlesbroughs-relegation-17841031

All well and good, but you can do all that without putting a complete rookie in charge.

As an aside, amazing how many parachute clubs are trying to stay out of the third division, or are already in it - Hull, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield, Stoke and Sunderland.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pulis reccomend Woodgate for the job in the summer.

Might aswell stick with him until end of the season

Even though he looks like he might get them relegated and they are underperforming? No wonder you are so pro TM when this is where the bar is! 

Makes me wonder what Houghton and McCarthy did wrong to be villified when rhe likes of Potter and Woodgate are endorsed. Being honest I don't see the logic of this whatsoever. 

• Like 5

On 29/02/2020 at 18:02, Tom said:

If we beat Brentford we were in the play off places so by default we were closer then! We were 3 points from the play offs before that game and still are 

Are we just discounting Preston now?

If we win we will be ahead of them on goal difference. In my post I said if we win and Bristol don't we are in the play offs. Please keep up if you are going to go to the bother of responding. 

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we win we will be ahead of them on goal difference. In my post I said if we win and Bristol don't we are in the play offs. Please keep up if you are going to go to the bother of responding. 

I still don’t see how that guarantees us to be above Preston though 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Look at the table so 

I am and I still don’t see it, if Preston win we can’t go above them next week?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

The first sentence has no relevance (Alex Ferguson recommended David Moyes!) and the second sentence has absolutely no logic to it baring in mind they could very well go down.

As @Mattyblue says you can cut the wage bill etc without having an absolute rookie in charge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Speaks about reducing the wage bill, bringing through young academy players and learning from his mistakes over the past decade 

Message to Steve Gibson-----we have just the man for you!

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Even though he looks like he might get them relegated and they are underperforming? No wonder you are so pro TM when this is where the bar is! 

Makes me wonder what Houghton and McCarthy did wrong to be villified when rhe likes of Potter and Woodgate are endorsed. Being honest I don't see the logic of this whatsoever. 

No guarantee a replacement would be doing better. only 10 games to go. We seen before when clubs sack their manager with a few games to go and has no effect. Examples like Dowie at Hull or Adams at Norwich. Sometimes it worked when Clement took over Reading and Monk at Birmingham in March 2018 to keep both clubs up. 

Chris Hughton? turned down 3 offers from Championship clubs this season. 

Mick McCarthy is in charge of Republic of Ireland

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The first sentence has no relevance (Alex Ferguson recommended David Moyes!) and the second sentence has absolutely no logic to it baring in mind they could very well go down.

As @Mattyblue says you can cut the wage bill etc without having an absolute rookie in charge.

You enjoying writing words like relevance doesn't you?

Suggest you look into why Woodgate was appointed last summer. What is wrong with giving young British coaches a chance to manage clubs but you stood defended Huddersfield decision to appoint Siewert tho didn't you!  

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No guarantee a replacement would be doing better. only 10 games to go. We seen before when clubs sack their manager with a few games to go and has no effect. Examples like Dowie at Hull or Adams at Norwich. Sometimes it worked when Clement took over Reading and Monk at Birmingham in March 2018 to keep both clubs up. 

Suggest you look into why Woodgate was appointed last summer. What is wrong with giving young British coaches a chance to manage clubs but you stood defended Huddersfield decision to appoint Siewert tho didn't you!  

Why they appointed him is pretty immaterial as it has gone horribly wrong. I didnt know who Siewert was and obviously he did a terrible job, my only qualm was you saying various managers deserved the job over him just because they were British. Nationality should be an irrelevance.

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Think you missed my point. Wasnt recommending those guys for positions rather the fact you dislikes them and criticised the job they were doing yet others you champion like Woodgate and Potter are doing much worse. Feels a bit double standards imo. 

Whilst no guarantee they'd do better with a replacement that's not a reason not to change if the manager isn't good enough. We have a season of evidence that Woodgate isn't cutting it, so the fear the replacement is as bad, is a poor reason not to change. It seems like they are stuffed in they keep with him so a change won't make anything worse. In fact it could make it better. 

On that point you list a number of examples where it has gone well which suggests it's worth a gamble. Sometimes it works! Not only that even if there isn't enough time it gives the new man extra time to assess and prepare for a promotion push to bounce back. In fact you could say that's what happened with TM. (Ok I think he had time to save us but even if he didn't - and it was a tall order - I'm glad he got time to assess the team and impose some standards before the league 1 campaign.)

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Think you missed my point. Wasnt recommending those guys for positions rather the fact you dislikes them and criticised the job they were doing yet others you champion like Woodgate and Potter are doing much worse. Feels a bit double standards imo. 

Whilst no guarantee they'd do better with a replacement that's not a reason not to change if the manager isn't good enough. We have a season of evidence that Woodgate isn't cutting it, so the fear the replacement is as bad, is a poor reason not to change. It seems like they are stuffed in they keep with him so a change won't make anything worse. In fact it could make it better. 

On that point you list a number of examples where it has gone well which suggests it's worth a gamble. Sometimes it works! Not only that even if there isn't enough time it gives the new man extra time to assess and prepare for a promotion push to bounce back. In fact you could say that's what happened with TM. (Ok I think he had time to save us but even if he didn't - and it was a tall order - I'm glad he got time to assess the team and impose some standards before the league 1 campaign.)

But Boro Owner Steve Gibson has backed Woodgate today as the article said I posted. 

I posted both side of the debate of sacking a manager so show balance so I wasn't accused of being bias. 

You make a fair points about a new manager having time to assess what he got just in case they do go down. 

I don't dislike Hughton or McCarthy tho. I criticise Hughton from changing his playing style instead keep it similar to what Wilder has done. I think Potter has Brighton some good football and should be given more time. 

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Boro Owner Steve Gibson has backed Woodgate today as the article said I posted. 

I posted both side of the debate of sacking a manager so show balance so I wasn't accused of being bias. 

You make a fair points about a new manager having time to assess what he got just in case they do go down. 

I don't dislike Hughton or McCarthy tho. I criticise Hughton from changing his playing style instead keep it similar to what Wilder has done. I think Potter has Brighton some good football and should be given more time. 

You changed your view on McCarthy so, because you were very critical. 

On 29/02/2020 at 17:38, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we win next weekend and Bristol city don't,  ,we are in the play off places. 

Closest we have ever been!!

Not quite as simple as that.

What about Preston? They would have to lose as well, and are at home to QPR.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Being critical and dislike are 2 different things. 

I assumed on a football message we weren't discussing their personalities. 

You were critical of his management, very critical, but you think he's a nice guy. Do I have that correct? Ok then. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I assumed on a football message we weren't discussing their personalities. 

You were critical of his management, very critical, but you think he's a nice guy. Do I have that correct? Ok then. 

Well I don't know him personal so cant comment. Leave that one for you

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Depends on how seriously they consider relegation to be. If it was me I'd be terrified of the prospect and I'd be prepared to take whatever emergency action necessary to try and avoid it.

I'd be on the blower to Warnock in the morning giving him a big bonus and a 10 game contract for survival. 

It clearly isnt working there. Loyalty and patience are commendable in some circumstances but facing imminent and disastrous relegation I'd be expecting proper action. 

It's a bit like arguing that we might as well have stuck with Coyle in 2017. It is the duty of those running the club to take action.

A fair few Middlesbrough fans are fed up with Gibson and given their recruitment over the last few years - Agnew, Monk, Pulis and Woodgate - I can see why.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Depends on how seriously they consider relegation to be. If it was me I'd be terrified of the prospect and I'd be prepared to take whatever emergency action necessary to try and avoid it.

I'd be on the blower to Warnock in the morning giving him a big bonus and a 10 game contract for survival. 

It clearly isnt working there. Loyalty and patience are commendable in some circumstances but facing imminent and disastrous relegation I'd be expecting proper action. 

It's a bit like arguing that we might as well have stuck with Coyle in 2017. It is the duty of those running the club to take action.

A fair few Middlesbrough fans are fed up with Gibson and given their recruitment over the last few years - Agnew, Monk, Pulis and Woodgate - I can see why.

To be fair, Pulis in his first season took Boro up from upper mid table to 5th in his first half season and then finished 7th the season after, not too shabby at all. He also transformed Adama Traore.