BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Player Archive - past and present Blackburn Rovers first team players. Authored by Harry Berry.

BRFCS is delighted to announce that renowned Rovers historian & author Harry Berry (A Century of Soccer,  The Blackburn Rovers Miscellany, The Men Who Made Blackburn Rovers since 1945)  has given us access to his archive records of Rovers first team players. The initial batch of records representing players with surnames beginning with A have been loaded & can be accessed from the new Home Page &/or by following the link below :-

https://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php?/player-archive/

C1440A67-C86A-4DA0-A79A-89FA36D9D97F.jpeg

Our sincere thanks go to Harry for sharing this content, over time the record will build up to cover all players with a first team appearance but rather than wait until all the records are complete, we thought we would load them in instalments.

Thanks also to @OnePhilT who once more has done a sterling job building the infrastructure to house these records and has single-handedly loaded this first batch of records.

Hope you enjoy using this as a reference point for all your Rovers player enquiries...

E64131AF-0413-441F-8428-B864AD279241.jpeg

2684A1E9-2907-4596-99B1-0E5317A4D886.jpeg

• Like 6

Loved reading about Chris Shelley Anderson. I remember him. He was indeed the new Stanley Matthews. He was brilliant. Tugayesque, Douglasesque and Duffesque all rolled into one. Shame he couldn't control his life like he could control a caseball.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 04:23, bazza said:

Loved reading about Chris Shelley Anderson. I remember him. He was indeed the new Stanley Matthews. He was brilliant. Tugayesque, Douglasesque and Duffesque all rolled into one. Shame he couldn't control his life like he could control a caseball.

I would have seen him----from those little seats round the edge of the wall (Darwen End of the enclosure) but I honestly have no memory of him. So hats off to you!

My favourite player of that era was William Fenton, a left-winger who only played 17 games for us! I was mortified when we sold him to -------York City!!

I've never met anyone else who's even heard of him!

On 19/06/2019 at 00:57, 47er said:

I would have seen him----from those little seats round the edge of the wall (Darwen End of the enclosure) but I honestly have no memory of him. So hats off to you!

My favourite player of that era was William Fenton, a left-winger who only played 17 games for us! I was mortified when we sold him to -------York City!!

I've never met anyone else who's even heard of him!

Regarding Anderson, as an 8 year old I saw him at least twice and could never understand why he didn't play more often. My dad never explained.

I don't remember W Fenton in that era. Only the Geordie who scored for us against Newcastle in the 90s. Graham Fenton.

A big thank you to everyone for putting this out. A terrific player resource and it brings back some wonderful memories. Have we ever had a “z?” Archibald would be my favourite A as he was the first big name to come to Ewood under Don Mackay. Didn’t we only have 3 sides of Ewood open then as work was being done on the Riverside?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

A big thank you to everyone for putting this out. A terrific player resource and it brings back some wonderful memories. Have we ever had a “z?” Archibald would be my favourite A as he was the first big name to come to Ewood under Don Mackay. Didn’t we only have 3 sides of Ewood open then as work was being done on the Riverside?

I'm led to believe we have every single player - but it's a real stress to transfer the archive, it has to be done manually, everyone works for free etc etc. 

• Like 2

I can only agree with all the congratulations & praise that people have already heaped on the people behind this enterprise. It'll be a superb research tool. Match previews on here will never be the same!

If I were being selfish, I'd express the hope that the entirety of the work - rarely was the phrase 'magnum opus' more appropriate! - is published on here before this 73-year-old pops his clogs.?

Afaik, I'm in good health but you never know, do you. . ?!

• Like 3

I'm working my way through the 'A' list but stuck a bit on the 'codes'

Using Atko as an example as he made a decent amount of appearances at Rovers in the 'FL' detail it shows 224, which I take to be appearances, plus 33 'apps' - what are 'apps' - as a sub? Also stuck on what the meaning is of 'wdn' (withdrawn?) and 'ns'

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Mark Atkins - Playing Statistics

FL          224  + 33 apps     34 gls   - 19 wdn                                           49 ns   1 og
FAC        11   +  3 apps                    -  2 wdn                                             4 ns    1 og
FLC         20  +  4 apps        4 gls    -  2 wdn                                              5 ns
PO            8 apps                 1 gl    
FMC         6 apps                              - 2 wdn
EC             1 app
UEFA        1   + 1 apps                     - 1 wdn                                               1 ns
CS             1   + 1  apps                    - 2 wdn                                                1 ns
Total     272 + 42 apps       39 gls - 28 wdn  +896m -643m  et 120m  60 ns (1 gl as sub)  2 ogs
Penalty record T 2 Sc 1 Sv 1
Sent off  1
LC          13 apps  - 1 wdn   - 13m

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Using Atko as an example as he made a decent amount of appearances at Rovers in the 'FL' detail it shows 224, which I take to be appearances, plus 33 'apps' - what are 'apps' - as a sub? Also stuck on what the meaning is of 'wdn' (withdrawn?) and 'ns'

FL          224  + 33 apps     34 gls   - 19 wdn                                           49 ns   1 og
FAC        11   +  3 apps                    -  2 wdn                                             4 ns    1 og
FLC         20  +  4 apps        4 gls    -  2 wdn                                              5 ns
EC             1 app
UEFA        1   + 1 apps                     - 1 wdn                                               1 ns
CS             1   + 1  apps                    - 2 wdn                                                1 ns
Total     272 + 42 apps       39 gls - 28 wdn  +896m -643m  et 120m  60 ns (1 gl as sub)  2 ogs
Sent off  1

Definitely means  Appearances 224+33 ie 33 as a sub. IMO!!

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

EC             1 app
Sent off  1

The plus are substitute appearances. Wdn is when they are substituted. ns is nominated substitute. + mins and - mins are time on as sub and time lost from full 90 mins by being taken off

• Like 2

Just now, The Axe said:

The plus are substitute appearances. Wdn is when they are substituted. ns is nominated substitute. + mins and - mins are time on as sub and time lost from full 90 mins by being taken off

Thanks. Fantastic detail :rover:

Edited by AllRoverAsia

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Fascinating reading. Jim Arnold's stats make interesting reading. We concede more goals by Xmas than he did in a whole season.

I remember thinking during his first season that here was the heir to Sir Roger. Imagine now signing a player from Stafford Rangers and putting him straight in the team!