BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Player Archive - past and present Blackburn Rovers first team players. Authored by Harry Berry.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, he was very average. Didn't he come after Adam Blacklaw ? Another one who looked like he lived out of the chip pan.

I remember Barton being in the reserves while Blacklaw was in the team, with Sir Roger then taking over and showing us what a proper keeper looked like (aside from his forays dribbling to the halfway line, which I have never seen since.)

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

Barton & Blacklaw in this photo; fine figures of men...tremendous athletes...?

A7E755DF-6900-419A-B524-D9304BD151AA.png

What a fantastic kit by the way. Nice and simple and a real authenticity about it. No ridiculous sponsor or manufacturers logo emblazoned all over it neither.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, he was very average. Didn't he come after Adam Blacklaw ? Another one who looked like he lived out of the chip pan.

From memory, Barton came after Fred Else (Think Preston had a monopoly by selling us goalkeepers) and just before Blacklaw.

Barton could be described as very average at best.

• Like 1

I agree, that's a great kit, proper blue as well.

Alan Hunter, just what we need today, a real centre half who could play a bit as well. Even Dick Mulvaney would be handy today. I'm not so sure about Coddington, especially if it came to a penalty shoot out. 

One or two of those are just what we are short of today. Billy Wilson, a better left back than Bell, Williams and Hart all rolled into one. Eamon Rogers, a Travis with better ball skills  and more of an eye for goal. Stuart Metcalfe, what a winger should be like. The incomparable Sir Keith, a Rolls Royce of a full back. How that squad didn't really look like getting promoted I'll never know.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Alan Hunter, just what we need today, a real centre half who could play a bit as well. Even Dick Mulvaney would be handy today. I'm not so sure about Coddington, especially if it came to a penalty shoot out. 

One or two of those are just what we are short of today. Billy Wilson, a better left back than Bell, Williams and Hart all rolled into one. Eamon Rogers, a Travis with better ball skills  and more of an eye for goal. Stuart Metcalfe, what a winger should be like. The incomparable Sir Keith, a Rolls Royce of a full back. How that squad didn't really look like getting promoted I'll never know.

What a good job we can't see into the future.

None of us watching that team could have predicted the rollercoaster ride that the next half-century would be for us, eh?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But it did look like getting promoted-big time-until Boxing Day at Hull. Then the slide started that took us all the way down to Div 3..

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Blacklaw/Barton, Fryatt, Coddington, Kopel, Darling, Hill. We had half a promotion team and half a relegation team, then we sold Sir Keith followed by Knighton (what a captain he was!)

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Bob Crompton scoring more own goals than goals sounds a fairly unique achievement in such a long career. Maybe they were a lot more common back then. I’m also pretty sure my great-grandad ran the same pub on Audley Range as did Cromptons dad.

Own goals were seldom assigned by reporters. Crompton's contributions are taken from newspaper reports which state that he had the final touch. As far as I can gather one of the reasons is that he often tried to protect the goalkeeper and tried to block a lot of shots. It was well known that before he trusted a new goalkeeper he would spend a lot of time covering him.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...