BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Player Archive - past and present Blackburn Rovers first team players. Authored by Harry Berry.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The pen picture of Bill Eckersley says he only played one game in the top division, his debut game in our last match before relegation. Although he played most of his career in the second division he was still playing when we returned to the first division in the 1958-59 season.

Yes quite correct. Comes of using a childhood memory that he had so many caps and only one First Division appearance. He played the season after promotion until he got injured. Have asked Kamy to amend wording.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tyrone may remember better than I do but I seem to think that Bill Eckersley’s testimonial, many stars of his era turned out including Tom Finney, but Stan Mathews didn’t because he requested a fee to play. 
It is also in the back of my mind that Eckersley’s partner at full back in the England team was Alf Ramsey.

3 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Tyrone may remember better than I do but I seem to think that Bill Eckersley’s testimonial, many stars of his era turned out including Tom Finney, but Stan Mathews didn’t because he requested a fee to play. 
It is also in the back of my mind that Eckersley’s partner at full back in the England team was Alf Ramsey.

I didn't go to Bill's testimonial. Alf Ramsey and Bill were full back partners for England.

9 hours ago, Ianrally said:

18 April 1961 Bill Eckersley Ewood Park 9-11

Blackburn Rovers-R.Jones, J.Bray, K.Taylor (D.Whelan), A.McEvoy, M.Woods, R.Clayton, B.Douglas, E.Crossan, T.Briggs, R.Vernon, R.Langton

Bill Eckersley XI- Eddie Hopkinson, J.Armfield, W.Eckersley, M.Setters, N.Franklin, J.Campbell, Cheung Chi Doy, W.Mannion, T.Finney, S.Mortensen, R.Charlton

Scorers BR Vernon (5), Crossan (2), Douglas, Briggs BE-Charlton (5), Finney 2 (1 pen), Setters, Mannion, Mortensen, Campbell

Matthews had agreed to play but on the day asked for a fee. Eckersley went to Blackpool that morning to persuade him to play without because no-one was getting paid but he still refused so Eckersley picked up the young Chinese lad and brought him back to play.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Axe said:

18 April 1961 Bill Eckersley Ewood Park 9-11

Blackburn Rovers-R.Jones, J.Bray, K.Taylor (D.Whelan), A.McEvoy, M.Woods, R.Clayton, B.Douglas, E.Crossan, T.Briggs, R.Vernon, R.Langton

Bill Eckersley XI- Eddie Hopkinson, J.Armfield, W.Eckersley, M.Setters, N.Franklin, J.Campbell, Cheung Chi Doy, W.Mannion, T.Finney, S.Mortensen, R.Charlton

Scorers BR Vernon (5), Crossan (2), Douglas, Briggs BE-Charlton (5), Finney 2 (1 pen), Setters, Mannion, Mortensen, Campbell

Matthews had agreed to play but on the day asked for a fee. Eckersley went to Blackpool that morning to persuade him to play without because no-one was getting paid but he still refused so Eckersley picked up the young Chinese lad and brought him back to play.

I wonder if the lads who played in Mathews testimonial asked for a fee ? Dougie played and starred in that game against the cream of world football so he obviously didn't bear a grudge.

Cheung Chi-Doy was actually from Hong Kong, he played 2 games scoring 1 goal for Blackpool in the 1960-61 and 1961-62 seasons.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wonder if the lads who played in Mathews testimonial asked for a fee ? Dougie played and starred in that game against the cream of world football so he obviously didn't bear a grudge.

Cheung Chi-Doy was actually from Hong Kong, he played 2 games scoring 1 goal for Blackpool in the 1960-61 season.

Was once present when Tom Finney was asked about Matthews demanding a fee and he just said- that's just Stan. Eckersley and Ramsey used to room together with England and Eckersley reckoned that when he woke up Ramsey always said "Good Morning William", was the only one who never called him Bill.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Controversial that Kamy... the older vintage on here may raise you a (Sir) Roger Jones 

I go back as far as Fred Else and none of the subsequent goalkeepers, and we've had some great ones, come close to Brad in my opinion. He was worth a goal start.

Sad to see that Jim Fryatt suffered from altzheimers also. He was up there with Rudy Gestede in heading ability.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I go back as far as Fred Else and none of the subsequent goalkeepers, and we've had some great ones, come close to Brad in my opinion. He was worth a goal start.

Sad to see that Jim Fryatt suffered from altzheimers also. He was up there with Rudy Gestede in heading ability.

And, a bit like Rudy, it’s all “Jim, Jim, bang one in!” could do. If any old footballer was going to get Alzheimer’s, it was him.

7 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

Surnames with F are now complete, that includes one of my favourite ever Rovers Brad Friedel, certainly our greatest ever goalkeeper.

Can’t believe you didn’t mention Fryatt’s equaliser in the Man City cup tie Kamy - easily the highlight of a grim couple of years back then.

• Like 2

Somebody mentioned Bill Eckersley was a bit of a practical joker. There's a photo on the internet of Rovers training before the 1960 Cup Final. The lads are doing sprint training on the track between the pitch and the main stand. Dougan is just breasting the tape that a couple of the players are holding. The rest of the players are sat on the wall watching. Bill is sat there with the leg of his shorts pulled up, quite clearly exposing himself. Meat and two veg on display.

I've got exactly the same photo in a Rovers history book and the offending organ has been coloured in to match the colour of his shorts but the internet photo is un censored.

And just to point out to the youngsters that the R Jones, goalkeeper in Eckersley's testimonial wasn't (Sir) Roger. It was Robert (Bob) Jones who was reserve to Patterson and Elvy. Bob seemed to be always chewing gum. He was about the same standard as Leutwiler.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Somebody mentioned Bill Eckersley was a bit of a practical joker. There's a photo on the internet of Rovers training before the 1960 Cup Final. The lads are doing sprint training on the track between the pitch and the main stand. Dougan is just breasting the tape that a couple of the players are holding. The rest of the players are sat on the wall watching. Bill is sat there with the leg of his shorts pulled up, quite clearly exposing himself. Meat and two veg on display.

I've got exactly the same photo in a Rovers history book and the offending organ has been coloured in to match the colour of his shorts but the internet photo is un censored.

They used to reckon that Bill did stand up as well as any professional comic. He and Jack Campbell were great jokers but Bill once got one over on him. Staying away he shinned down the drain pipe into Campbell's room, clad in a balaclava and took his watch and wallet.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • J*B unpinned this topic