Sign in to follow this  
Herbie6590

Player Archive - past and present Blackburn Rovers first team players. Authored by Harry Berry.

16 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Bob Crompton scoring more own goals than goals sounds a fairly unique achievement in such a long career. Maybe they were a lot more common back then. I’m also pretty sure my great-grandad ran the same pub on Audley Range as did Cromptons dad.

Own goals were seldom assigned by reporters. Crompton's contributions are taken from newspaper reports which state that he had the final touch. As far as I can gather one of the reasons is that he often tried to protect the goalkeeper and tried to block a lot of shots. It was well known that before he trusted a new goalkeeper he would spend a lot of time covering him.

Good progress Surnames with E completed.  Will now move onto with the F's.

Have to say that when uploading these I have learned so much about the history of our club and the players that have represented us.  It has been an education.

The pen picture of Bill Eckersley says he only played one game in the top division, his debut game in our last match before relegation. Although he played most of his career in the second division he was still playing when we returned to the first division in the 1958-59 season.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The pen picture of Bill Eckersley says he only played one game in the top division, his debut game in our last match before relegation. Although he played most of his career in the second division he was still playing when we returned to the first division in the 1958-59 season.

Yes quite correct. Comes of using a childhood memory that he had so many caps and only one First Division appearance. He played the season after promotion until he got injured. Have asked Kamy to amend wording.