BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

23 games unbeaten in a season and mostly a team built on absolute peanuts with a sprinkle of quality and steel then a couple of shakes of serious ambition added.  Play offs 3 seasons in a row despite losing that brief bit of big name edge.

Such a good manager for his time plonk him here now and he'd do a similar approach again imo because he'd demand it.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think I have posted this sentiment before but we Rovers fans owe this man a helluva lot. He is right up there with Furphy, Lee, Kendall, Saxton, Kenny, Souness, Hughes and Parkes for me. 

Dead right Andy. He was a really good tactician and motivator who achieved minor miracles year on year. 

• Like 8

Loved don mackay and his teams  . Always ended up has the brides made and not the bride. 

I always thought the beginning of the end for mackay was when old smug arse linekar refused to come to rovers and laughed at us and walker for trying. Toss pot then and now

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Boroblue said:

Loved don mackay and his teams  . Always ended up has the brides made and not the bride. 

I always thought the beginning of the end for mackay was when old smug arse linekar refused to come to rovers and laughed at us and walker for trying. Toss pot then and now

Couldn't agree more on Linekar it wasn't that he turned us down it was the way he did it with the usual smug conceited arrogant deserves a punch in the mouth manner. A bit like the shite he spouts about Brexit, politics and everything else he knows nothing about but gets prompted (and probably paid) to comment on from his lofty old boys BBC 1.5 mill a year pedestal that he's plonked himself on.  Plus he's in the closet I reckon !

Anyway obviously i'm not bitter at him after all these years ? but Don deserved some success and a really big signing and he and Rovers deserved a bit more respect from jug ears.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

big respect to don for giving us 3 season of cracking football and a great day at wembley,sellars roasting full backs,gayle geeing up the blackburn end,reidy bossing midfield,moran stopping everyone literally and garner smashing hattricks in against man city,fate and a blind referee stopped him  getting us  into the top flight(i still get miserable when i think of that palace game),some say the 80`s were barren years for rovers,not to me,they were seasons where we played good football in a club that belonged to the community,rovers was always a homely club

• Like 7

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

big respect to don for giving us 3 season of cracking football and a great day at wembley,sellars roasting full backs,gayle geeing up the blackburn end,reidy bossing midfield,moran stopping everyone literally and garner smashing hattricks in against man city,fate and a blind referee stopped him  getting us  into the top flight(i still get miserable when i think of that palace game),some say the 80`s were barren years for rovers,not to me,they were seasons where we played good football in a club that belonged to the community,rovers was always a homely club

And yet, by the definition of success on the Mowbray thread, he was a failure!

Definitely a pivotal appointment in that, like Furphy, he changed the trajectory of the club while the next manager added a little bit extra and got all the glory.

If he'd had a wage budget of an upper half team and means to buy a few players he'd have had us up i'm sure. By that i mean a similar scenario to what we have now.

He knew what he wanted from the team, wasn't always caught in 2 minds and he was the boss not the players minder. BRFC came first.