BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 minutes ago, Doug said:

Bolshy woman in an office on Nuttall Street wasn't for replacing it even though I'd made the effort driving over in my owd Beetle, stating that I'd have to write in requesting replacement.

Worked some years at Rovers, Barbara Magee...

• Like 1

He could spot a player too along with Hendry he brought Mark Atkins from lower levels obscurity , brought David May and Jason Wilcox into the first team and saw something in Howard Gayle that most clubs and managers couldn't , Scott Sellars and Chris Price bloomed under his stewardship and he also manage to convince Archibald and Ardiles to come to Blackburn (although I heard Jacks money helped a fair bit there as well) 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AJW said:

He could spot a player too along with Hendry he brought Mark Atkins from lower levels obscurity , brought David May and Jason Wilcox into the first team and saw something in Howard Gayle that most clubs and managers couldn't , Scott Sellars and Chris Price bloomed under his stewardship and he also manage to convince Archibald and Ardiles to come to Blackburn (although I heard Jacks money helped a fair bit there as well) 

The money did help but in respect of Archibald, he could have earned more money elsewhere than we gave him at that time. He came to Ewood mainly because of his respect for The Don and his reputation in the east of Scotland. 

Its easy to forget now after the Kenny years just what a big deal that scoop was at the time.

• Like 3

I’m in the middle of reading John Duerden’s book Rovers Revolution and it covers the time Don was as Ewood, not just our Premier League success. It’s a fascinating read and brings back some happy memories of that era. Well worth a read. Get well soon, Don. 

Enjoyed the interview. Always loved Don Mackay and actually felt a bit uncomfortable/ashamed, when he was sacked after all he had done. Not saying it was wrong, but it didn't feel good(for me.)

A few years later, the night after the Cantona Kung Fu incident, I was driving up the motorway with the radio on.

Don was on a Radio 5 live phone -in. One of the callers-with a distinct, Lancashire accent- was arguing that Cantona should be banned for the season/for life/for ever etc.

Don joked- "Isn't that because you want Blackburn Rovers to win the title!" I laughed out loud. 

However, the best bit came right at the end, when the caller said,  "We still love you at Blackburn, Don. God Bless!" And so we do!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

He also sprinkled a bit of magic dust on us with the signings of Archibald and Ardiles.

Absolutely revolutionary at the time and a big statement of intent which put much needed bums on seats.

Don't forget Frank Stapleton, 13 in about 30 games for rovers....top signing

• Like 3

21 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

kevin moran was another great signing and a proper defender,he`s up in the keeley,faz,hendry and short list for one of our all time best centre backs

Good to you list Short on the short list.

Has a nice kind of symmetry to it.

It wouldn't be a credible short list if you didn't list Short.

• Like 2

• Backroom
22 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

kevin moran was another great signing and a proper defender,he`s up in the keeley,faz,hendry and short list for one of our all time best centre backs

Leaving out the Admiral Nelsen, and Sir Andy of Todd is blasphemy!

• Like 1

On 07/03/2020 at 01:10, simongarnerisgod said:

Made of granite that man. Kenny tried to persuade him to play one more season but his body couldn't take it. Didn't train between games, needed a few days for his knees to recover.

A man- mountain, will never forget that headed goal against Derby in the Play-off Semi. No fear in him but terrified the opposition. What he or one like him would do for this current side. Sigh!

• Like 2

On 05/03/2020 at 20:37, oldjamfan1 said:

The money did help but in respect of Archibald, he could have earned more money elsewhere than we gave him at that time. He came to Ewood mainly because of his respect for The Don and his reputation in the east of Scotland. 

Its easy to forget now after the Kenny years just what a big deal that scoop was at the time.

Wasn’t it also because of all the clubs interested, Don was the only manager to personally fly out to Barcelona to speak to him?

• Like 2