BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Phil Jones To Leave Utd - Sell On Clause?

Does Phil Jones have a sell on clause that could benefit us financially?
Even if so, would that be rendered neutral because he's leaving United in a part-exchange deal?

If anyone knows let me know, started a new topic for it as didn't know where else to place.

Pretty sure the only clause was the one that was conveniently leaked to United by Jones and his representatives. Considering reports suggested Rovers were paid more because of that dispute (over the minimum when Liverpool were believed to have offered more not knowing the exact figure) can't imagine there's any sell on clause. Plus if the clown is involved in a swap deal as you say the situation appears moot.

Edited by Vinjay17

Didn't Rovers or even Anderson thrash out a deal that saw another few million on top of the initial 16 or so that got rid of any clauses once it was paid up ?

Total deal north of 20 mill, almost enough to pay off the outstanding balance at an Indian bank for the purchase of a club ??

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Didn't Rovers or even Anderson thrash out a deal that saw another few million on top of the initial 16 or so that got rid of any clauses once it was paid up ?

Total deal north of 20 mill, almost enough to pay off the outstanding balance at an Indian bank for the purchase of a club ??

Very strange but true ....',the game is a foot ' a great pity Sherlock Holmes wasn't  investigating !!

• Like 1

The most frustrating thing to me is that, much like Lewis Travis, Jones just got a run in the team and did well with the time he got. But we give FAR too little game time to our youth players. Imagine if we could churn out even just one PJ every three/four years? I believe we could, but we just don't give out enough chances.

Travis only got into the side because of injuries and suspensions. Now he's a solidified Championship midfielder and in a few years could go for millions.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

The most frustrating thing to me is that, much like Lewis Travis, Jones just got a run in the team and did well with the time he got. But we give FAR too little game time to our youth players. Imagine if we could churn out even just one PJ every three/four years? I believe we could, but we just don't give out enough chances.

Travis only got into the side because of injuries and suspensions. Now he's a solidified Championship midfielder and in a few years could go for millions.

Jones had a very bad injury which kept him on the sidelines at Rovers for some considerable time. 

Jones will be a multi-millionaire so whatever the next few years bring he will live the good life in retirement and still in his thirties!

When I first saw him I thought he would be England captain with over 100 caps, just about the best young prospect I'd ever seen.

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

No he didn't. He was knocking on the door and got a start, virtually ever present since.

I think we do pretty well with our youth players tbh. Jones was special, and remember we were a top 10 PL side at the time...

If Hanley/Nyambe/Raya/Lenihan/Travis were operating at that level there's a very good chance they'd have been moving to big sides for big money too.

Not that i'd want them to!

Edited by S8 & Blue

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Seriously, forget it.

Even if there were no agent funny business at the time of sale, Derek the Shelf liquidated all sell on clauses during his time as Chairman.

What do you mean by this?

Do you mean he agreed to cancel existing sell on clauses in return for cash settlements? 

Just now, philipl said:

All sell on clauses were traded in for immediate cash- at a discount against their face value, obviously.

That's interesting. It's the first I've heard of it.

How much did the whole operation raise ? Is it referenced in the annual accounts and did it count as income with respect to FFP ?

Was it during the period we were reportedly taking out short term loans against season ticket sales ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Jones will be a multi-millionaire so whatever the next few years bring he will live the good life in retirement and still in his thirties!

When I first saw him I thought he would be England captain with over 100 caps, just about the best young prospect I'd ever seen.

Talking to Ronnie Clayton he reckoned Jones was going to be the new Duncan Edwards and Ronnie was Duncan's  best mate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 47er said:

I agree. I first saw him in a night match at Ewood and went into the work the following day, to tell the Dingles there we had a huge star on our hands. He was as good a prospect I had seen come through the ranks in years. Amazing how his fee alone, almost paid Venkys back what they paid for the club.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

No he didn't. He was knocking on the door and got a start, virtually ever present since.

I think we do pretty well with our youth players tbh. Jones was special, and remember we were a top 10 PL side at the time...

If Hanley/Nyambe/Raya/Lenihan/Travis were operating at that level there's a very good chance they'd have been moving to big sides for big money too.

Not that i'd want them to!

He only got that start because of injuries and suspensions. Ask Scott Wharton, Willem Tomlinson and Lewis Hardcastle where there chances have been?

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

He only got that start because of injuries and suspensions. Ask Scott Wharton, Willem Tomlinson and Lewis Hardcastle where there chances have been?

He started alongside Smallwood with Evans on the bench. 

Maybe they aren’t good enough? 

I think Travis last season was certainly above the level of Mansfield and Bury.

Edited by S8 & Blue

2 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Travis started at Bramhall Lane on Dec 28th after Evans was rested following the Boxing Day game at Leeds and Travis wasn't even on the bench. Smallwood got himself sent off at Sheffield and got three games. Travis played against West Bromwich on New Years Day, had a blinder and pretty much became a fixture in the team. I don't think he would have become a regular if Smallwood hadn't got himself sent off.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Travis started at Bramhall Lane on Dec 28th after Evans was rested following the Boxing Day game at Leeds and Travis wasn't even on the bench. Smallwood got himself sent off at Sheffield and got three games. Travis played against West Bromwich on New Years Day, had a blinder and pretty much became a fixture in the team. I don't think he would have become a regular if Smallwood hadn't got himself sent off.

I agree with this.

Mowbray’s handling of younger players has been a smudge on his record at Rovers IMHO. Then again, he thinks 24 is young so 19 is barely out of junior football.

He also can’t sort out our defence so the thought of youngsters racing forward while a couple of agricultural centre halves keep guard seems a distant hope.

I would love to see Johnson replace Lowe as first team coach and see if he can influence our approach. It seems oxymoronic for Mowbray to have him developing U23 players in a style of play that he doesn’t or can’t deploy in the first team.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2019 at 14:29, arbitro said:

Have to agree with that.  Think he would have gone on loan amd we would lose him completely for relative peanuts.  Lady luck really shined on Tony the stubborn then.  Thank god.

On 20/06/2019 at 09:03, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Talking to Ronnie Clayton he reckoned Jones was going to be the new Duncan Edwards and Ronnie was Duncan's  best mate.

I think Jones left a season or two too early and I think that has been detrimental to him long term.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 2

On 20/06/2019 at 06:27, jim mk2 said:

Jones had a very bad injury which kept him on the sidelines at Rovers for some considerable time. 

A good thing too or Steve Kean might have been pipped to discovering him.