BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

Just now, rigger said:

I will reserve judgement until the end of the season.

Yup, not much point saying anything now. Our form for older signings has not been good of late - hope this one breaks the mould.

14 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Downing stats 18/19:

Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists SpG KeyP Drb Fouled Off Disp UnsTch Rating
Championship 24(14) 2338 2 1 1.2 1.5 0.5 0.4 0.1 0.5 1 6.63
FA Cup 1 N/A - N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A -
Total / Average 39 2338 2 1 1.2 1.5 0.5 0.4 0.1 0.5 1

Be good to see Conway’s in comparison.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Downing stats 18/19:

They are very damning stats for someone who played in the majority as an attacking forward in one of the better teams in the league. One assist from a right sided forward is appalling and two goals isn't much better and he can't hide behind pulis tactics because we play not to dissimilar with inferior players

Edited by Oldgregg86

Disgusted with this signing, we manage to finally get one completely past it winger off the books only to promptly replace him with another!

Not renewed my season ticket yet and although I probably still will, if this is the level of dross we'll be bringing in, it's a major disincentive.

• Like 2

Not happy with this signing. Was hoping to see a bit of a new dawn moving away from Bennett and Conway trudging up and down creating and scoring very little, with the likes of Rothwell, Armstrong and Chapman chomping at the bit, and Conway leaving. Downing has lost his pace, will be 35 before the season starts and his influence on games has massively waned as you would expect with age, contributing precious little last season. A poor and unimaginative signing IMO.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Downing stats 18/19:

Playing for a Tony pulis side they are good stats for anyone who doesn't have a long throw. 

Does Tony drive a Ford Expedition EL or similar? Still, if it saves on budget cost, so not all bad.

From the little I saw of Downing last season he had completely lost the pace to run past players, played more in midfield with lots of sideways/backwards passing and not in a creative sense. Nondescript at best. Still about ok at freekicks.

I wish him well, for our sake, not his and not Mowbrays.

55 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Downing said in his interview that he likes the way we play.

Where has this myth that Mowbrays sides play "good football" from?

Tony told him ?.

He mentioned playing against us twice last season and being impressed. In the away match we were very good until they equalised and then we looked nervous (and they only had ten players). In the game at Ewood Mulgrew gave arguably the worst centre half performance in a long time, Williams got sent off and we gave a spirited performance with ten men.

35 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Playing for a Tony pulis side they are good stats for anyone who doesn't have a long throw. 

Playing for a Tony Mowbray side won't improve matters. What was it, 5 goals from open play in total from all the 1st halves at home last season? 

Edited by blueboy3333

All players are very cliche about what they say when joining a club though tbh. They just say what they think they want people to hear. I doubt he came here for the football we play, or for any other reason than its another million in the bank at the end of his career and a manager he probably knows and gets on with. I just hope:

A: His legs have not completley gone

B: He doesn't do a dam Murphy and take the piss out of the club that is paying him a decent wedge - the last one he will get.

Edited by JacknOry

On the face of it, not really a great signing. No longevity and will only take time away from more promising players. Conway was a player who could be brought on "to see a game out" and I suspect Downing will be used the same.

When Conway left, we were presented with a good opportunity to have a player from the old guard leave and replace with someone who could be here for a number of seasons. Instead we've signed someone who will be here for 1 season at best.

Despite all the above, he's a Rover now, so he'll get my backing.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Downing stats 18/19:

Conway Stats 18/19:- @Stuart

Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists Yel Red SpG PS% AerialsWon MotM Rating
Championship 9(12) 947 1 1 1 - 0.6 80.3 0.3 - 6.57
League Cup 3 N/A 1 N/A - - N/A N/A N/A N/A -
FA Cup 1(1) N/A - N/A - - N/A N/A N/A N/A -
Club Friendlies 0(1) N/A - N/A - - N/A N/A N/A N/A -
Total / Average 27 947 2 1 1 0 0.6 80.3 0.3 0  
  • Like 1

Cheers. Fairly even then really.

It’s still a strange move. Would anyone offer/guarantee the 2019/20 version Downing more game time than the 2019/20 version of Conway? Is he worth more money? Could we have offered Conway more money but still less than Downing? I’d be amazed if we offered Downing the same or less.

We had four key areas to replace/strengthen...

GK: Replaced Leutweiler with Leutweiler. Will he really bring in someone above Raya now?

CB: Downing needs replacing (plus Mulgrew looking tired and old at the end of last season). Main target has fallen through.

CM: Reed needs replacing from a quality / contribution perspective.

RW/LW: did we really need a wide man as a priority?

30 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

On the face of it, not really a great signing. No longevity and will only take time away from more promising players. Conway was a player who could be brought on "to see a game out" and I suspect Downing will be used the same.

I bet you a fiver he starts the first game, barring injury.   Downing and Bennett will start

Good to see us building for the future. After all the garbage Mowbray spouted about slowly building and bringing in talent from Europe, this really is a signing devoid of imagination, common sense and excitement.

Evidently too old for Middlesbrough, but not for us.

A 35 year old winger. Dear oh dear.

• Like 5

Just now, martonrover said:

Good to see us building for the future. After all the garbage Mowbray spouted about slowly building and bringing in talent from Europe, this really is a signing devoid of imagination, common sense and excitement.

Evidently too old for Middlesbrough, but not for us.

A 35 year old winger. Dear oh dear.

Most of time recently as an attacking midfielder so all this winger talk is nonsense. You don’t play 35 odd times for England without something about you especially now  at championship level. Or signed in for Liverpool for 20 odd million so comparisons with Conway also nonsense class above

Edited by markhayhurst
  • Like 1