BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

13 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

Most of time recently as an attacking midfielder so all this winger talk is nonsense. You don’t play 35 odd times for England without something about you especially now  at championship level. Or signed in for Liverpool for 20 odd million so comparisons with Conway also nonsense class above

Carlton Palmer got 19 caps for England and he was about as good as Smallwood.

• Like 1

No doubting Downing has been a quality player in his time but where will he be played? He won't replace Dack so it's either AA's position or Rothwells - wide left or wide right. I doubt he has any pace now so he'll be seen as a play maker from deep and out wide. I remember Mowbray doing something similar with Whittingham. 

1 hour ago, markhayhurst said:

I’m guessing chapman and Armstrong might benefit from his input??? 

Bring out more in them...or has he no experience to offer

Bringing out more in them by going ahead of them in the team pecking order ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

CB: Downing needs replacing (plus Mulgrew looking tired and old at the end of last season). Main target has fallen through.

Has it? If you have any info please share with the rest of us?

Do agree with most other points though, just tired of the post-truth world we seem to be creating on here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Do agree with most other points though, just tired of the post-truth world we seem to be creating on here.

Have a lie down if you're tired. Bauer has been a main target for a year. We had 2 bids rejected. Sharpe has been bigging the signing up all summer. We didn't get him. Is that post-truth enough for you?

It's a forum not Mowbray's office. If you want exact details of where Bauer was on his list of targets then go and ask Mowbray. People are just forming opinions based on what they know. 

Is that OK with you? 

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Have a lie down if you're tired. Bauer has been a main target for a year. We had 2 bids rejected. Sharpe has been bigging the signing up all summer. We didn't get him. Is that post-truth enough for you?

It's a forum not Mowbray's office. If you want exact details of where Bauer was on his list of targets then go and ask Mowbray. People are just forming opinions based on what they know. 

Is that OK with you? 

Dunno mate I just like to base my opinions and make my arguments based on facts.

Each to their own I suppose.

Sharpe’s articles completely lacked any substance or journalism at all, and are refuted by first hand reports from people on here who had conversations with the manager. Mowbray has been asked.

Let’s say we just don’t know? That’s a generous rebuttal to needless spin like yours.

“OuR MaIn TaRgEt FeLl ThRoUgH”

is bedwetting of the highest degree, and you know it.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

No doubting Downing has been a quality player in his time but where will he be played? He won't replace Dack so it's either AA's position or Rothwells - wide left or wide right. I doubt he has any pace now so he'll be seen as a play maker from deep and out wide. I remember Mowbray doing something similar with Whittingham. 

I would guess he will play wide right as he appears to favour that role these days. I'm pleased it is a one year contract, as anymore would be criminal and perceived poorly. He won't be cheap, it's got to be at least 20k, plus bonuses. We will see but it's a good million quid less in the kitty.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dr X said:

I would guess he will play wide right as he appears to favour that role these days. I'm pleased it is a one year contract, as anymore would be criminal and perceived poorly. He won't be cheap, it's got to be at least 20k, plus bonuses. We will see but it's a good million quid less in the kitty.

20k x 52 = £1040000. IF 20 k is true  

Football is clinically insane  

1 hour ago, toogs said:

20k x 52 = £1040000. IF 20 k is true  

Football is clinically insane  

It is as are the people who think these types come to Rovers for 5 grand per week and a similar in appearance money.  He might be 35 he might be a millionaire but like Rodwell you still have to lure them here with more than just games when there are other packages on the table perhaps from clubs with a lot more loose change than us who don't mind chucking 20/30k per week on squaddies.

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I bet you a fiver he starts the first game, barring injury.   Downing and Bennett will start

I agree ..I think Downing will become the new Bennett and will play come what may ..may even get the captaincy ..

17 hours ago, Tom said:

He’s had undeniable quality, we are stung by the Whittingham and Murphy signings but I’m cautiously optimistic about this one.

Not an exciting signing as such but a steady one who I think will do well enough 

Don't agree with lumping Whittingham and Murphy together. Whittingham was a good signing on paper that didn't work out, it happens. Murphy was a malevolent, wilfully disruptive influence on an already fragile squad.

Personally am also cautiously optimistic with Downing. His character seems of the type to help rather than hinder and Boro fans seem to think he still has something to offer. As many have said, as a Conway replacement he's a step up.

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

So you don’t believe Bauer was our main CB target?

I’ve not heard of any others - perhaps you can enlighten “the rest of us”?

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

I thought we refused to match the 1m+ asking price 12 months ago?

43 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Don't agree with lumping Whittingham and Murphy together. Whittingham was a good signing on paper that didn't work out, it happens. Murphy was a malevolent, wilfully disruptive influence on an already fragile squad.

Personally am also cautiously optimistic with Downing. His character seems of the type to help rather than hinder and Boro fans seem to think he still has something to offer. As many have said, as a Conway replacement he's a step up.

I prefer the signings that play on grass not paper. Whittingham was a big gamble, as is Downing. What happened to that Edwards lad that ran us ragged out wide last season at Ipswich ?

1 hour ago, danger19_80 said:

As many have said, as a Conway replacement he's a step up.

Problem is a Conway replacement was the absolute last thing we needed.

Yes, it's probably an ally for Mowbray in the dressing room after losing his trusted lieutenant Conway. Yes, if we wanted to waste another wage on another player who is past his best after being fortunate in losing one off the wage bill, and further hinder the prospects of Chapman and Rothwell then he's theoretically  a alightly sexier name.

But for heaven's sake we need a spine of experienced Championship  players at the peak of their powers  in the 25 -29 year old age bracket who will come straight  in and improve the first eleven. We needed that last summer and in January and we need it now.

We don't particularly  need any further youngsters bringing in who won't be given a chance on account of their age and we don't need any more 34 or 35 year olds hanging around the place collecting a wage because they're all round good eggs.

When's Mowbray going to bring in what we actually need, if ever? Top class centre half, central midfielder and main striker required. Instead we get a nr 35 year old winger. To replace another 34 year old winger who shouldn't even have been here in the first place.

It's an absolute joke.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I read somewhere that he was coming as a 3rd or 4th choice centre half so went for Preston? 

Just now, imy9 said:

I read somewhere that he was coming as a 3rd or 4th choice centre half so went for Preston? 

Well anyone we sign is automatically behind Bennett in any position then there’s the old pals brigade so quite possibly. 

We can bring in as many veteran midfielders as he likes but until he addresses the issues at defence, specifically centre halves, and by his own admission our collective inability to head a ball it’ll be another 70 ish goals conceded.

• Like 2